Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] crjt85@gmail.com is offline

Default Central Machinery quality?

On Thursday, April 11, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Grant Echols wrote:
I've been seeing mail order adds for a bunch of hardware
manufactured by Central Machinery in the Better Homes and Gardens
Wood magazine. Their prices look great but I don't know anything
about their quality and I haven't seen their products in any of
the tools reviews either. It looks they've got a light green color
scheme for their tools that makes me think they're a clone of
Delta but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any experience with these guys? The mail order house
that advertises them is Harbor Freight from California.

Thanks for the help,

Grant

--
Grant Echols

Some HF stuff is good but in particular I would be careful about Central Machinery products. I bought a drill press 60237 and after only a few uses the return spring broke and I am told that HF cannot get parts. This broke while I was installing a drill bit, if the machine had been running it could have been dangerous as it would allow the drill bit to drop onto anything below. I do use it at work but only occasionally so naturally the 90 day warranty was out. I always try to give manufacturers the benefit of the doubt, faulty parts are not always detectable in production, but why supply a parts list when refusing to supply the parts anyway?

And yes, someone mentioned a stripped thread - mine too.