Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Something else to ponder.

On 2017-01-09, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Sears is selling Craftsman, most all of us assume just the tools. I
wonder what will become of the Craftsman lawn mowers/lawn power tools,
and Craftsman Garage door openers.

Who gives a rat's ass!?

I borrowed my FIL electric Craftsman weed eater and it destroyed
itself. No kidding. It was designed to. So, I returned it and got a
free replacement. Since the design was so bad, the replacement
destroyed itself, also. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-01-09, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Sears is selling Craftsman, most all of us assume just the tools. I
wonder what will become of the Craftsman lawn mowers/lawn power tools,
and Craftsman Garage door openers.

Who gives a rat's ass!?

I give a rat's ass. DON'T be and ASS, asshole.

I borrowed my FIL electric Craftsman weed eater and it destroyed
itself. No kidding. It was designed to. So, I returned it and got a
free replacement. Since the design was so bad, the replacement
destroyed itself, also. 8|

nb

Sure it did. OE.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

notbob wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Time will tell. Don't forget Diehard and other trade names....

Hard to forget brand names I avoid like the plague. My boss bought a
Diehard marine battery. We hadda replace it within the week.

Silvertone is long gone.

Thank goodness fer small favors! I once had a Silvertone bass
amplifier. Brand new, it was already crap and I returned it to Sears
the next day.

Their guitars/basses were made by Dan Electro and they were also junk.
I hadda buddy who bragged he'd scored a DE Long-Horn bass. He paid
$600 for it and thought he's scored some kinda hot deal. I played it
and told him, "This cost about $75USD, new, and it certainly isn't
worth that much, now". I found another DE guitar at my jammin'
buddy's house. I'm not sure, but I think the high-end strings I gave
him ($10 set), to re-string that guitar, were worth more than the
guitar.

You see a lotta Dan Electro's in use, these days. The "lipstick"
pick-up is held in high esteem by many of today's hipsters. The
guitar, itself, is still essentially junk.

Confucius sez "Opinions are like assholes... just cuz you have one
doesn't mean you need to reveal it to the rest of the world." LOL

I'll just leave these here for you to scoff at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lectro_players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQmvW9bR_ek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGR3m5Zs9Ic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ2fAP8RwCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40qrUStmTjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqLWuNPBwl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODidAgdL40Y

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 9:48:36 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote:

[...]

They're not Dan Electro guitars, they're Danelectro guitars.

You lose a little credibility when you call them Dan Electro guitars.
Almost makes one think that you don't know what you are talking about.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:

[...]

Not just almost... ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2017 10:23 PM, wrote:
On 09 Jan 2017 01:21:50 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

wrote in news:cch57c5rdmrke7s50afkjcalcnfuevb85o@
4ax.com:

With some of today's high-tech winterware you don't have to look like
the Michelin Man to be warm - and when it gets up above about 110 with
humidity around 95% taking ALL your clothes off doesn't make you cool
(in more ways than one)

Remember - from below -- My experience. .As the temperature and
humidity go up, the speed and efficiency go WAY down. Even a 30MPH hot
wind does NOTHING to cool you down!!! Standing in the spray of Mosi O
Tunya cools you down temporarily - but you are not going to get any
work done standing on the knife-back bridge.

You may find that having some clothing on is actually more effective than
being "without apparel". (Twister reference there.) Things like
moisture wicking materials can make sweating more effective.

I could be wrong, though, but I prefer the moisture wicking shirt when
playing roller hockey. I can tell you that I don't feel as drenched as I
would without a shirt.

Puckdropper

At 90+%rh the wicking really doesn't help. The only advantage to
clothing is shade and helping to prevent sun-burn. Under the hot
African sun you can burn through a light cotton shirt in a very short
time.

I didn't know that (burn through a shirt).
I did buy a sn block shirt, but just to keep the suns heat off. I have
played VB in the blistering heat with it , and noticed that it really
does keep the heat off you. Long sleave and all.

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-01-09, Spalted Walt wrote:

I'll just leave these here for you to scoff at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lectro_players

Yes, well is it as many ppl as those who voted for the Drumpf-kin or eat
at McDonalds?

*****MAJOR NEWS HEADLINE!*****

Zombies Call Off Zombie Apocalypse When It's Discovered America Has No
Brains!

*****

You think DE's are good guitars? So, buy one.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2017 6:55 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/6/2017 4:00 PM, Jack wrote:

I recently mentioned I was looking to replace my Sony earphones. Amazon
doubled the price from $14 to $27, plus shipping. I finally found them
online at Walmart for $14 and free shipping. Walmart knows whats up,
and if Amazon isn't careful, it will be in the bag with Sears/Kmart.

I don't think so. I have a peeve with Amazon. Originally free shipping
over $25.. then they moved it to $35, and quickly thereafter to $49... I
understand the $35, but the $49 was not necessary. It was to make you
buy into PRIME.. and that's where my disdain lies. I understood when
they said in order for them to remain profitable they had to move to
$35.. That I got..

What do you mean by "I don't you think so"?

Exact same Sony earphones at Walmart were $14 and free shipping, Amazon
was $27 PLUS shipping. Do you think I'm lying? This was only a couple
months ago.

Your peeve with Amazon I get. My peeve was Amazon had different prices
for Prime, as in higher price, so to get free shipping you often had to
pay more for the item. Not sure if they still do that, but they did,
that I do know for sure.

Amazon is a shaky outfit, and one needs to keep their eyes open when
dealing with them, and their retailers. The good thing about them is
returns are easy, and when I had to return something, the lady I dealt
with on the phone was sweet as it gets, unlike comcast and lots of other
retailers, where sales 'in english', problems in "english is 3rd
language" crap.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

https://www.youtube.com/embed/grD_IINiH9c?autoplay=1

*****MAJOR NEWS HEADLINE!*****

Zombies Call Off Zombie Apocalypse When It's Discovered America Has No
Brains!

http://i.imgur.com/h16JZhV.jpg

*****

HAND

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2017 9:24 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/6/2017 5:47 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/6/2017 4:13 PM, Jack wrote:

Also, about 2 years ago I needed some shelf brackets. Sears had them
for .79 cents apiece. I asked if they were mis-priced, as they should
be about a nickel each. Found them on line, 25 for $1.49.

When you have fools running a business, competition will kill you
eventually.

Shelf brackets for a nickel apiece 2 years ago??? Maybe 50 years ago

LOL, the hooks are 15 cents each.

LOL, you are talking about "hooks" for shelf standards. I was talking
about shelf brackets. The price of the Hooks is similar to the price of
brackets, and 15 cents is too much, 79 cents would be way too much.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2017 4:00 PM, Jack wrote:

[...]

That doesn't imply that the Amazon price was artificially higher
for "prime". Just that walmart chose to sell the item cheaper
(perhaps at a loss, to drive traffic).

Nor does a single swallow make a summer.

Your peeve with Amazon I get. My peeve was Amazon had different prices
for Prime, as in higher price, so to get free shipping you often had to
pay more for the item. Not sure if they still do that, but they did,
that I do know for sure.

How do you know this for sure?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2017 11:06 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Brains!

http://i.imgur.com/h16JZhV.jpg

*****

HAND

Wow. Summed up in a nut shell.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2017 4:13 PM, Jack wrote:

Also, about 2 years ago I needed some shelf brackets. Sears had them
for .79 cents apiece. I asked if they were mis-priced, as they should
be about a nickel each. Found them on line, 25 for $1.49.

When you have fools running a business, competition will kill you
eventually.

Shelf brackets for a nickel apiece 2 years ago??? Maybe 50 years ago

LOL, the hooks are 15 cents each.

LOL, you are talking about "hooks" for shelf standards. I was talking
about shelf brackets. The price of the Hooks is similar to the price of
brackets, and 15 cents is too much, 79 cents would be way too much.

Can you point me towards that link with the cheap brackets? I obviously
need a cheaper source.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-01-10, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Wow. Summed up in a nut shell.

Agree. I think "nut" sums it up, nicely.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 09:19:59 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/9/2017 8:48 AM, notbob wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Time will tell. Don't forget Diehard and other trade names....

Hard to forget brand names I avoid like the plague. My boss bought a
Diehard marine battery. We hadda replace it within the week.

FWIW, most all batteries are manufactured by just a few manufacturers.
No batteries are exempt from being DOA. Personally I have had good luck
with DieHard and what ever brand Toyota sells.

Sure but, just like appliances, they are made to the seller's
specifications and they are treated differently by the retailers
before installation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-01-10, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Wow. Summed up in a nut shell.

Agree. I think "nut" sums it up, nicely.

It's unanimous, then.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 17:06:36 +0000, Spalted Walt wrote:

*****MAJOR NEWS HEADLINE!*****

Zombies Call Off Zombie Apocalypse When It's Discovered America Has No
Brains!

http://i.imgur.com/h16JZhV.jpg

*****

HAND

I think you just proved his point.

--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 22:36:56 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

OTOH, the internet has made many thousands of products available that
cannot be found locally at any price. Lowe's is 7 miles, Woodcraft is
about 30 miles, but even they don't have everything.

I had a chance to visit Highland Woodworking while in Atlanta last week.
I can easily recommend them to anyone here as a nice place to visit if
in Atlanta. I controlled myself and limited myself to a new "Lost Arts
Press" book (on mouldings) which I had been eyeing before my visit, but
I feel like I have more interest in their web site now than I did
before. Being apparently impartial, they have some tools from both Lie
Nielsen and Veritas, for instance. I tried to step around the "green
tool" section, without getting anything on me. : )

I get there once a month or so. If I get out of there dropping less
than a Franklin, SWMBO is happy. Then there are the green days. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a trip to Sam's Club, we never get out without spending $100.

The only thing they have in common with Sam's Club is that they accept
the same currency.
They don't even remind me of my local Woodcraft or Rockler--they
actually have a variety of tenon saws (for instance). And though I
didn't look closely at any green tools, the space allocated for them is
substantial enough that they must have "the whole set".

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Here's is a link to a video tour (I only watched the top one).

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/b...storetour.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard, the nym-shifting troll, socked-up as "Trenbidia" wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 17:06:36 +0000, Spalted Walt wrote:

*****MAJOR NEWS HEADLINE!*****

Zombies Call Off Zombie Apocalypse When It's Discovered America Has No
Brains!

http://i.imgur.com/h16JZhV.jpg

*****

HAND

I think you just proved his point.

I think you just proved the 'crying liberal' video's point by
cowering behind a nym to reply, Larry.
How spineless is that?

From: Trenbidia
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 18:32:14
git://git.gnome.org/pan2)

From: Larry Blanchard
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: finishing disaster.
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 18:30:35
git://git.gnome.org/pan2)

BUSTED !!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 17:32:33 -0500, Bill
wrote:

wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

They both take Sams Club credit cards, too. ;-)

They don't even remind me of my local Woodcraft or Rockler--they
actually have a variety of tenon saws (for instance).

On a business trip, I stopped into a Woodcraft in Columbus OH. It was
a big step above the local Woodcraft (at least twice the size) but
they didn't have the bredth of high-end tools, like Highland. Nice
store, though.

And though I
didn't look closely at any green tools, the space allocated for them is
substantial enough that they must have "the whole set".

They do. And every accessory and consumable, too. I believe the
invenory for their Internet business is in the store. To see if
something is in stock, they check their web site.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 17:56:45 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Bill wrote:
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

BTW, if anyone makes a roadtrip to visit Highland, there are a lot of
very good restaurants in the area. It's in the middle of a rather
upscale section of Atlanta (The Virginia Highlands).

http://virginiahighland.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2017 4:00 PM, Jack wrote:

[...]

The I don't think so was in reference to Amazon being in the bag w/
Sear/Kmart.

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2017 8:15 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 14:34:01 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Time will tell. Don't forget Diehard and other trade names....

Hard to forget brand names I avoid like the plague. My boss bought a
Diehard marine battery. We hadda replace it within the week.

FWIW, most all batteries are manufactured by just a few manufacturers.
No batteries are exempt from being DOA. Personally I have had good luck
with DieHard and what ever brand Toyota sells.

Sure but, just like appliances, they are made to the seller's
specifications and they are treated differently by the retailers
before installation.

Exactly! So if you are upset with the quality of a product, blame the
importer/retailer that felt that questionable quality would pass, not
the country or origin.

That leap of logic doesn't work. Well, not exactly. Quite often
Chinese made merchandise doesn't even resemble the specs that the
(Chinese) manufacturer was given. BTDT. Now if you say that the
importer should test to make sure their specs are followed... OK,
maybe. There are a lot of specs that are really difficult to test.
You can't test in quality.

Granted, importers will take what ever sells or will be tough on specs.
Chinese Buicks sold here are pretty close to specs, I would say, along
with Triton tools, Milwaukee tools, SawStop, Powermatic, etc

Get into the no name stuff from China and all bets are off. This is the
stuff yo find at the discount tool stores like Harbor Freight etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2017 4:00 PM, Jack wrote:

[...]

Correct. I was not implying that on the earphones. They were not a
prime item.

Just that walmart chose to sell the item cheaper (perhaps at a loss, to
drive traffic).

Or perhaps Amazon was simply price gouging.

Nor does a single swallow make a summer.

Your peeve with Amazon I get. My peeve was Amazon had different prices
for Prime, as in higher price, so to get free shipping you often had to
pay more for the item. Not sure if they still do that, but they did,
that I do know for sure.

How do you know this for sure?

Because I looked at identical items listed as prime and not listed as
prime and the prime had higher prices. They did it, no doubt at all.
Whether they still do or not, I don't know, but I don't trust them much.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2017 4:13 PM, Jack wrote:

Also, about 2 years ago I needed some shelf brackets. Sears had them
for .79 cents apiece. I asked if they were mis-priced, as they should
be about a nickel each. Found them on line, 25 for $1.49.

When you have fools running a business, competition will kill you
eventually.

Shelf brackets for a nickel apiece 2 years ago??? Maybe 50 years ago

LOL, the hooks are 15 cents each.

LOL, you are talking about "hooks" for shelf standards. I was talking
about shelf brackets. The price of the Hooks is similar to the price of
brackets, and 15 cents is too much, 79 cents would be way too much.

Can you point me towards that link with the cheap brackets? I obviously
need a cheaper source.

I already did on a previous post.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

Fourth one down is $1.99 for 25. It's a different retailer than I used
a couple of years ago, but the picture looks the same. The ones I got
were top quality, metal, exactly what I wanted.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2017 4:00 PM, Jack wrote:

[...]

Got ya. I think at least for now, you are correct. Amazon is pretty
darn good at what they do, and catching up will not be easy for anyone.
Sears should be where Amazon is today, based on their long history of
catalog and mail order sales. (My buddies dad bought a house from
Sears, and my bud still lives in it.) Sears lack of good management is
probably what is killing them, and as someone said, they have been dying
for at least 30 years. Amazon still has to be careful, and some of
their tactics might increase profits, but if they lose trust, they could
find themselves eating someone elses dust.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2017 10:58 AM, Jack wrote:

How do you know this for sure?

Because I looked at identical items listed as prime and not listed as
prime and the prime had higher prices. They did it, no doubt at all.
Whether they still do or not, I don't know, but I don't trust them much.

They are rather open about it and often state it may be available
cheaper from different vendors without Prime. It may or may not include
shipping and it may or may not take longer that two days even if
shipping is included.

I don't see it as a matter of trust, but the obligation of the customer
to do due diligence and select the best option for their needs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2017 4:13 PM, Jack wrote:

[...]

The forth one down will cost you $6.99, 1.99 + Shipping of $4.00

Prime is still cheaper with second day delivery. $5.49

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2017 4:00 PM, Jack wrote:

[...]

What makes Sears different from Amazon is that Amazon has a huge
advantage of not having to have actual stores. Any retailer with actual
stores will always be at a disadvantage to Amazon in that respect.