John Holbrook

Default Sears Craftsman lifetime warranty

Today I returned a Crapsman 3/8" ratchet handle for exchange under Sears's
lifetime warranty. It slipped when either tightening or loosening.
They swapped it without question, but instead of going to the display rack
and taking down a new one, the salesman reached under the counter and handed
me one with a tag on it that said "refurbished". Has anyone else had this
happen? The replacement seems to be ok, but time (and use) will tell.

John

Roger Shoaf

I am a locksmith and I had recently re-keyed a sears store. In the back
room they had a bunch of ratchets and bins full of repair kits for them. It
seems that the handle itself seldom fails before the guts.

--
Roger Shoaf

"John Holbrook" wrote in message
Today I returned a Crapsman 3/8" ratchet handle for exchange under Sears's
lifetime warranty. It slipped when either tightening or loosening.
They swapped it without question, but instead of going to the display rack
and taking down a new one, the salesman reached under the counter and

handed
me one with a tag on it that said "refurbished". Has anyone else had this
happen? The replacement seems to be ok, but time (and use) will tell.

John

bchargnon

It seems as though the grease in the ratcheting mechanism dries out after
awhile, and the mechanism no longer works as it should. Carefully
disassembling the head, and greasing it with "bicycle grease" makes the
ratchet new again. This happened to three of my Craftsman ratchets, and I
fixed all three with about 15 minutes of work.

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
[...]

Erik

In article ,
"John Holbrook" wrote:

Today I returned a Crapsman 3/8" ratchet handle for exchange under Sears's
lifetime warranty. It slipped when either tightening or loosening.
They swapped it without question, but instead of going to the display rack
and taking down a new one, the salesman reached under the counter and handed
me one with a tag on it that said "refurbished". Has anyone else had this
happen? The replacement seems to be ok, but time (and use) will tell.

John

I've returned many over the years. Usually the refurb's are fine, but
once in a while...

BTW, Snap On even rebuilds most ratchet's... usually yours and right in
the truck.

Erik
jim

John Holbrook wrote:

Today I returned a Crapsman 3/8" ratchet handle for exchange under Sears's
lifetime warranty. It slipped when either tightening or loosening.
They swapped it without question, but instead of going to the display rack
and taking down a new one, the salesman reached under the counter and handed
me one with a tag on it that said "refurbished". Has anyone else had this
happen? The replacement seems to be ok, but time (and use) will tell.

John

sounds like a cost cutting thing they are doing??? i remember years ago
when you brought in a bad ratchet they would just give you a small
plastic bag with the contents of the ratches gear and clip to hold it
in?? at the time i argued with them as i did not know how to take them
apart, but since then i have been able to work on them and found no
problem with this.... just hang on to the one they gave you and in time
you can go to another sears store that does not have any rebuilts in
stock and you get a new one.. i had a nut driver with a female fitting
1/4 drive on the back to put a 1/4 in. ratchet in.. the thing broke, its
plastic handle came apart.. well in around 1970 i tried to get another
one and the only thing they had to exchange it with was one without the
female fitting in the handle... i refused and just kept the tool in the
tool box and about two years ago i brought it back to sears and found
that they now have it but its better with steel all the way though the
handle and now this one will not break.....

Jeff Wisnia

John Holbrook wrote:

Today I returned a Crapsman 3/8" ratchet handle for exchange under Sears's
lifetime warranty. It slipped when either tightening or loosening.
They swapped it without question, but instead of going to the display rack
and taking down a new one, the salesman reached under the counter and handed
me one with a tag on it that said "refurbished". Has anyone else had this
happen? The replacement seems to be ok, but time (and use) will tell.

John

I was handed the "repair kit" when I brought my busted 3/8" ratchet handle in
about 25 years ago. My handle was the pre-pushbutton kind and I didn't realize
the repair kit had the pushbutton release. I just upgraded my ratchet handle by
drilling a hole in the right place, and I'm using it to this day..

Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to
blame it on."

michael

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

John Holbrook wrote:

[...]

Speaking of ratchets, I recently got a 1/4 drive made by T&E Tools that is friction
driven. Reversing is done by removing socket and pushing drive through to the other
side of the head. I don't know the minimum degrees of movement needed to achieve
purchase, but it is not much. And you don't have the degree spacing of the teeth,
since there are none. Once the initial slack is taken up, any movement is gainful.
Seems to work quite well. About $20 US.

michael

--
release the fish from the net to reply

Roy

While I am by no means a fan of Sears / Crapsman, I have to admit they
are good on the warranty of handtools. On the other hand, I had an old
Snap-On 1/4" drive ratchet. I carried it to the Snap-on man who used
to come around our hanger every month or so, and he looked at it and
went aand got me another replacement ratchet. Bit different in style
handle but still a ratchet that worked. This ratchet did not last any
time until it would slip when it had any kind of force applied to it.
So I promptly took it back. This time there was another Snap on man,
and he looked at it, and refused to accept it to warranty it. He
showed me the letter "E" that was stamped on the handle, and siad that
the ratchet was an exchange tool, and was no longer warranted. Say
whay.no longer warranted.$30 some bucks for a ratchet and it did not
last any time at all................even other attempts to exchage it
at other snap on dealers produced the same results. I still have this
ratchet, thrown in a box of junk, as a long time reminder sometimes
Snap On and their prices simply are not worth it.

About 2 months ago I was replacing the engine in my sons 240SX. During
the course of this job, my son was trying to remove the bolts on the
flywheel. He was using my KMC flex head 3/8" ratchet with offset
handle. In the process he used a cheater pipe over the handle to get
leverage, and he busted the internals on the ratchet. (He is kind of
stupid and did not know any better or was just to lazy to get a pull
handle) ANyhow, if I could just find a new KMC flex head offset handle
ratchet again I certainly would be a happy camaper. I bought that
thing many many many years ago whern I was on a trip and needed a
ratchet to make a repair, and did not want to spend big bucks for a
top name. K mart was right there so a quick trip inside to ther tools
section and I found it was the only ratchet they had in stock. I was
not overly fond of the flex head or offset handle, but it was a
ratchet, and the price was right for a emergency repair. (about $5.00)
I grew to like that ratchet and it turned out to be my favorite
ratchet above all other ratchets. Now its broke. It has marked on the
handle KMC Lifetime Warranty, but there is no K marts in this area
anymore, and a email to their offices says it is no longer offered...A
real bummer. That was a el cheapo tool that was worth much more and
its loss is still felt!
--
Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address
http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com

Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye
Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove nospam from email address
Dave W

"John Holbrook" wrote in
:

Today I returned a Crapsman 3/8" ratchet handle for exchange under
Sears's lifetime warranty. It slipped when either tightening or
loosening. They swapped it without question, but instead of going to
the display rack and taking down a new one, the salesman reached under
the counter and handed me one with a tag on it that said
"refurbished". Has anyone else had this happen? The replacement
seems to be ok, but time (and use) will tell.

John

Depends on how busy they are at the store and who you approach. I have
had both a refurbish exchange and had my ratchet rebuilt as I watched.
Granted the one I watched was a 1/2 inch drive...

When I worked there about 8 years ago. I had seen quite a few interesting
returns. Like a 1/2 drive breaker bar that was "S" shaped. Tossed in the
barrel, no questions asked, just a wow or two.

The tool barrel was dealt with in an interesting(to me) way. The 55 gal
barrel was filled about 3/4 full, 300 Lbs or so. Sealed and shipped off.
The barrel was never opened again, just tossed into a pulverizer of some
sort. Which is why there is a snout locked onto the barrel when it is on
the sales floor. They had a problem of propane bottles ending up in the
barrel. Which caused a few exciting days at the barrel processing
facility. Before the snout, we (ahem, I) had to transfer all the tools
from one barrel to another to look for propane bottles.

--
Dave W a.a.#1967