Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot Lifetime Service adventure

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm curious as to why they replaced the batteries under warranty. If
I understand the terms of the warranty correctly, wouldn't "dead
batteries" after 4 -5 years of use be excluded due to the "normal
wear and tear" clause?

Here are a few of excerpts from their warranty website.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/full-lifetime-warranty

*** Begin Included Text ***

What is Covered

RIDGID tools are warranted to be free of material and workmanship
defects.

What is Not Covered

Failures due to misuse, abuse or normal wear and tear are not covered
by this warranty.

DEFECTS IN MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP:

It is our experience that a product that fails prematurely due to a
manufacturing defect in materials or workmanship, will generally do
so very early in the products life cycle, often the first or second
time the product is used. When returned for inspection, these
products are generally found to still be in like new condition and
show very little signs of use. It is uncommon for a product that was
manufactured with a defect, to survive under normal use for any
extended period of time. Products that are returned for warranty
inspection after months or years of continuous reliable service are
rarely found to be defective. The most common demand for service is
the result of normal wear and tear issues, which are not considered
to be a defect in materials or workmanship.

*** End Included Text ***

Can a dead battery really be considered "defective" after 4-5 years
of "continuous reliable service"?

Though it does seem like there is a Catch-22 in the warranty conditions, all
I can say is that I have had my batteries both replaced under warranty,
after maybe 3-4 years of use. No questions asked. In fact - the service
center appologized that they did not have the smaller batteries that my
tools came with, and asked if I would accept the full size batteries as the
replacement battery. Gee...

Here is an excerpt from their warranty page that is somewhat different from
what you found...

*** Begin Included Text ***

3-Year Limited Warranty and LSA
What is Covered? (applies to the 3-Year Limited Warranty, the Lifetime
Service Agreement, and the Recon Limited Warranty)

The 3 Year Limited Warranty, The Recon Limited Warranty and the Lifetime
Service Agreement covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools. This
includes normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears
and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGIDŽ Brand hand held and
stationary power tools. These programs also cover replacement rings, driver
blades and bumpers on RIDGIDŽ Brand pneumatic tools. This service coverage
does not apply to other ineligible RIDGIDŽ Brand products.

*** End Included Text ***

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

BTW - when I go to my account on the Ridgid website, and display my
registered tools, those that are covered by the LSA are listed, and after
that listing there is a button that links to the warranty section. Pressing
that button takes me to the 3 year, LSA warranty page. Not sure why they
have the difference between this page and the "other" Lifetime warranty
page.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2015 8:23 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 12:32:46 AM UTC-4, wrote:
As a contractor, my tools are usually dropped, fall off roofs and ladders, have heavy things fall on them, get left out in the rain, get stolen, misplaced and about 10 other things occur before I have to worry about warranty issues.

However, I bought a pair of ultra compact 12v Li drills about 4 or 5 years ago when they first came out. I bought them to use on my kitchen work as they work great to drive tiny hinge screws, drill the holes for pulls, and they are just dandy inside a cabinet when replacing or adjusting drawer hardware. Both we $99 with on battery each, and a charger. They are fine little drills.

But the batteries finally died. I took the to the local HD as instructed and had a really bad time. The "tool guy" had to look at them, make his determination, write a report on his findings and then make a suggestion as to what repairs MIGHT be authorized. He told me that it could take him a month in the store to get to them, and if they were found to be in warranty, it could take another month to have it certified by the national repair depot, and then if it was the batteries ONLY, then they could possibly ship new ones to me in another 10 days to 2 weeks after that. So the whole process could take as much as 2 1/2 months! I was shocked. The tool guy did a cursory inspection and agreed that when new batteries were put in the old drills they both worked fine. When the old batteries were put in a new test charger, they showed as defective. However, he determined the issue needed more research on his part. (Clever man... I thought for a moment I was at the monkey cage at t

he zoo...)

I called the national number to tell them what was going on. They told me that they were tired of being blamed for the long wait times for warranty resolution and they were more tired of people calling to yell at them for store related issues. With their help they told me how and what to say (their corporate buzz words) to the store manager to get the project off center. It worked!

From start to finish of this episode I had two new batteries in my hands in 3 1/2 weeks. But I wasn't through.

The batteries came with a stern warning to register them within 90 days or there would be no further battery warranty. I tried several times to register, and then contacted them by email as instructed on their website. They didn't realize that you couldn't access their registration screens after the tool and its parts were registered. The reason was that anyone could change their serial numbers to tools found in pawn shops, etc. without having bought the tool new. So my CS email response was for me to simply go the website and register.

After a while, I gave up and called national customer service again. They lady on the other end of the phone sighed pretty heavily and told me that I couldn't register them myself and a phone call was required. On a previously registered tool only Ridgid CS could modify any information. So today, she took my info over the phone and my account was updated within the half hour.

So the moral is, register the tools correctly, know that they will honor their warranty in some cases, and know you will have to work for it as well as be patient. That being said, HD/Ridgid are the only guys that will warrant tools for more than a few months (most not at all) for contractor use.

Hey... at least it worked, and I have my two favorite mini drills back!

Robert

[...]

Can a dead battery really be considered "defective" after 4-5 years of "continuous reliable service"?

Absolutely If it has a lifetime warranty and fails under normal use it
would be defective. If it had a 3 year warranty it would not be
defective after 4~5 years. The warranty pretty much spells out what is
considered defective.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 9:46:43 AM UTC-4, Mike Marlow wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

You are correct, sir!

There appears to be (big) differences between Rigid's "3-year Limited Warranty", their "Full Lifetime Warranty" and their "Lifetime Service Agreement"..

The LSA is for *eligible* products that have been registered under an individual's name within 90 days of purchase. For example, I recently bought the Drill, Impact Driver & Radio combo pack. The drill, impact driver, batteries and charger are *eligible* for the LSA, but the radio is not. It says right on the registration page for the combo pack product number that the radio is only eligible for the 3-year Limited Warranty.

I'll bet if we searched around, we'd find products that are covered under the "Full Lifetime Warranty" but not eligible for the LSA. Those covered under the "Full Lifetime Warranty" might not be repaired/replaced if they are simply worn out.

Mystery solved.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 11:32:47 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

From start to finish of this episode I had two new batteries in my hands in 3 1/2 weeks. But I wasn't through.

[...]

Apparently, that is not the case. Please see my earlier response to MM. I have since learned that there is a difference between Rigid's "Full Lifetime Warranty" and their "Lifetime Service Agreement". The warranty doesn't cover normal wear and tear, but the "Service Agreement" does.

I was mistaken when I said I was curious as to why the batteries would be covered under the Lifetime Warranty. They weren't. They were covered under the Lifetime Service Agreement because they were eligible for that coverage and properly registered by the original purchaser.

That explains why Ridgid has different pages for the "Full Lifetime Warranty" and the "Lifetime Service Agreement". They are not the same thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 00:12:55 -0500, Leon wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 08:40:05 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/15/2015 10:57 PM, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 13, 2015 at 5:01:29 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/13/2015 2:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

All collision shops were told the same 3 things:

- Damage occurred in a Home Depot parking lot
- Home Depot said to submit 2 estimates, they will pay the lower of the two
- The Home Depot Claims Department did not request, and does not have,
pictures of the damage

$546 - Honda Dealer
$534 - Honda Dealer (See Note below)
$491 - Chevrolet Dealer
$485 - Local Collision Shop Chain (13 locations)
$479 - Independent Collision Shop
$456 - Independent Collision Shop

Note: The 2nd Honda dealer was the only collision shop to suggest the
"paint-less repair" process to fix the damage. When I reminded him that
it might be better for me if I was given an estimate for the more
expensive old-school repair he said "Ah, get your lunch money first and
then explore other options. No problem." He then provided an R&I
repair estimate similar to all the rest.

I've just faxed the 2 Honda dealer estimates to Home Depot.

Take the money and then take the car to the shop that you think will do
the best job. You can put $90 in your pocket, but if the final work is
not up to your expectations, it is not a bargain. Do not assume that the
Honda dealer will be the best final finish. They may be an authorized
dealer, but they may or may not have good body men and paint men.

Thanks for the advice (seriously) but this is not my first rodeo. I've
been dealing with Ins Co's and collision shops all my life. Deer strikes,
accidents that were my fault, accidents that were not. I've even had a
car reported "stolen" by a repair shop after they broke the front end
suspension and then couldn't find parts to fix it. The "stolen" car found
about 2 miles from the shop even though it was undriveable because they
had taken the front suspension apart. These guys were good. Although I
could never prove that they did it, the grill, bumper, headlights, etc.
were all smashed. It looked as if a tow truck had backed into it, doing
enough damage for the Ins Co to total the vehicle. Since a tow truck was
the only way to move the vehicle from the shop to where it was found, it
was a perfect plan on their part. Wreck the car, tow it off of their
property and then report it stolen, all because they could not fix it.

Trust me, no one was actually using a tow truck to steal a 15 year old
1966 Rambler Ambassador - yes, the Lay Down Rambler of Dilbert McClinton lore. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNZqWX4VNaI

Last year a storm-felled tree totaled my previous Ody. The Ins Co offered
me $3300. I told them to try again and less than 24 hours later they came
back with a $5200 offer, higher than any book value or on-line price I
could find. That money went towards the replacement Ody that was damaged at Home Depot.

Another option is to do nothing and trade it in. They will knock
something off the trade, but perhaps less than the lowest bid.

I just bought this one in July...no plans to trade it in anytime soon.

I may investigate the paint-less repair option or I may do nothing and
treat SWMBO to a couple of car payments to ease the pain of the car
she bought yesterday.

BTW...here's the damage. This is what $500 worth a damage looks
like...it's hard to tell, but there's a slight dent along with the scratches.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...psrgq1h9dk.jpg

There are pro's that can repair dents inexpensively with out the need for
reprinting.

Repainting

As long as the paint is intact. If it's scratched or cracked, all
bets are off.

Scratches are ok if not through to the metal, they can be rubber or
polished out.

It's really easy if they're rubber. ;-)

If the clear coat is busted they can't just be polished out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 2:52:16 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Apparently, that is not the case. Please see my earlier response to MM. I have since learned that there is a difference between Rigid's "Full Lifetime Warranty" and their "Lifetime Service Agreement". The warranty doesn't cover normal wear and tear, but the "Service Agreement" does.

I was mistaken when I said I was curious as to why the batteries would be covered under the Lifetime Warranty. They weren't. They were covered under the Lifetime Service Agreement because they were eligible for that coverage and properly registered by the original purchaser.

That explains why Ridgid has different pages for the "Full Lifetime Warranty" and the "Lifetime Service Agreement". They are not the same thing.

You got it.

When you buy their tools, it is important to recognize which warranty you are getting and what is covered. When I bought those two drills year ago I asked my commercial rep over and over if the batteries were covered and he always said "yes". He showed me the warranty, and it clearly stated that they were.

Note that any kind of misuse or abuse negates both of the warranties were are speaking of from Ridgid. So (as they told me on the national hotline) if you take a tool to them that has had the hell beat out of it, they don't have to cover it.

My commercial rep told me that HD intended to back their product, but they were counting on (as do all manufacturers) that most tools wouldn't be registered at all, registered incorrectly, or not in time. How many have put off registering because they knew they had 3 months, then forgot about it?

Then the registration process at that time required that you actually cut the UPC bar code off the box and send it in with your registration request. They sent me an email that told me my account was ready to go, then I registered everything online. I don't know how they do it now, but I am sure they still make it a bit of a task.

Lastly, how many folks would need or take advantage of their warranty? If a homeowner feels they have gotten a good tool's worth of work out of a tool, likely they will just buy the newest, latest and greatest. Some folks just don't feel like the warranties are worth fooling with.

HD does make it easy, though. You can simply drop off you HD registered tool at any HD and they will fill out the paperwork with you, including a paper that says you will allow them to repair the tool for a fee if there is abuse or excessive wear determined, and you drive away. They will pack, ship, and eat the receive on their nickel if they fing the tool qualifies for warranty.

Overall, I am pretty happy has I have my two little drills back. I have a few over fifty overlay cabinet hinges to install today along with a few sets of drawer slides. With one drill set up to drill pilot holes and the other driving the hinge screws it moves along nicely.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 5:08:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

The registration process was pretty simple. The instructions in the package said to register the serial numbers on-line, print out the completed form and then mail in the form, receipt and bar code. However, once you enter all of the serial numbers, there is a message that says you can streamline the registration process by entering the numbers under the bar code on the receipt instead of mailing the paperwork in. Only if there is a problem will they request that you mail in the paperwork. I've got everything ready to go if they request it.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

That was my experience. I hear people complaining all the time about
how difficult their registration process is. I think the internet and
instant results to everything have spoiled a lot of people. Any time
you have to mail anything in and wait a couple weeks, people act like
they're making you cross the Rockies in a covered wagon.

My drills/driver/batts are all registered and listed on my account page
on the Ridgid website. I bought the tools specifically for the LSA and
"free batteries for life" that they were advertising at my local store.
I'm extremely satisfied with the performance of these tools, so overall
I'm glad I bought them and would do so again without the free batteries
or LSA.

However, if they ever give me a hard time about giving me "free
batteries for life" I will absolutely blow a gasket on them. I think I
even took a picture of the sign they had on their display. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I don't know when the last time those "people" tried to register a product, but - unless they contact me - I won't have to mail anything in.

My experience was indeed the "internet and instant results" we have become accustomed to. I have to hand it to HD for making the process so simple. One could argue that it is to their disadvantage to have eliminated the need for us to mail in the paperwork. The easier they make it, the more people will register, the more it may cost them. On the other hand, they don't have to pay as many people (or a service) to handle all of the registration paperwork and match it up with the information submitted on line. (Imagine doing *that* job day in and day out!)

The only issue I had was this:

I entered the product number of the combo pack and the on-line form listed all of the items included, along with the individual model numbers. The on-line model number for the charger did not match the model number on the bottom of my charger. I called their 800 number and the rep said "Don't worry, you have the newer model charger. Just go ahead and enter your S/N and you'll be fine."

I followed her instructions, but I also sent in a separate request via their on-line contact form just to get it in writing, since my registration page shows the old model number, not the one on my charger.

Other than that, I am (so far) completely satisfied with the registration process.

My drills/driver/batts are all registered and listed on my account page
on the Ridgid website. I bought the tools specifically for the LSA and
"free batteries for life" that they were advertising at my local store.
I'm extremely satisfied with the performance of these tools, so overall
I'm glad I bought them and would do so again without the free batteries
or LSA.

However, if they ever give me a hard time about giving me "free
batteries for life" I will absolutely blow a gasket on them. I think I
even took a picture of the sign they had on their display. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/15 11:24 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Do you know approximately when you registered?
Mine was June, 2012.
I'm guessing they've been streamlining the process which would be good
news for all.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2015 2:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

From start to finish of this episode I had two new batteries in my hands in 3 1/2 weeks. But I wasn't through.

[...]

Understood I understand the hoops you have to jump through to get your
purchase registered to be covered by "what ever" for a lifetime free
replacement.
The fact remains however that whether it be a warranty or service
agreement the battery is covered for as long as they have stated if you
have dotted your I's and crossed your t's. If the Service Agreement had
a limited number of years the batteries would only be covered for that
limited number of years.

I thought you were questioning if a 4~5 year old battery could actually
have replacement coverage for life.

But considering how difficult it is with all the steps for registration
they really don't want to cover the product for a life time so much as
have a "flags and whistles" Lifetime Service Agreement stamp on the
features list. They could simply exchange the defective or worn out
parts at the store, with proof of purchase, if they wanted everyone to
take advantage of the selling feature. But they are hoping that a
majority will forget to register or not register properly within all of
the time periods.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 12:52:44 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Approximately...yesterday. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/15 2:57 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Funny! Well then, I'd say they are definitely streamlining the process,
due in part, no doubt, to the complaints about "hoops" through which to
jump. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 3:27:10 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
Well then, I'd say they are definitely streamlining the process,
due in part, no doubt, to the complaints about "hoops" through which to
jump. :-)

Sounds a lot smoother and easier than when I first registered my drills. That was (according to them) late 2007 or so. They had a major software change and data transfer to start up a new system somewhere just after that where the I had to go to the website and register a new password and verify all my registration info was still there. It was.

Like you, I have a few Ridgid tools and they have turned out to be real workhorses. I have two 5" ROSs, one for inside and one for outside. As I have posted before, the outside model has been used mercilessly and sanded a couple of thousand feet of fascia, ground off concrete to smooth it, and I don't think it has ever had anything finer than 80 grit on the pad. Still runs great, love the 8' cord and the reliability.

I have a 4" square pad sander, and it has just finished all the rough/medium sanding on its second full set of kitchen cabinets. I use it to sand all the doors on both sides, the interior of the cabinets (hello oatmeal board!) and then the rails and stiles. When hooked up to a shop vac it had really good dust collection, and it even came with a template to use if you want to make your own sandpaper with the correct hole position for dust collection.

I would buy both of those sanders and my little 12v drill again if they only had a one year warranty.

Their other tools don't have comfortable grips for me, and now in my 40th year of construction work I prize a comfy tool as much as good performance. There are times I drive a few hundred screws a day, so the tool grip has to be good in the hand. I am drilling almost 300 holes tomorrow and driving 300 screws to hang the kitchen doors and put new slides on drawers in the kitchen I just refinished. 600 operations with the drills if I don't have to rehang and refit to get the job I want! That's a lot of holes and a lot of screws to handle accurately so a good feel is important.

Strangely, I rarely see Ridgid out on the job. It seems there are three kinds of hands on working contractors these days, and usually they are a hybrid mix of these: 1) guys that buy just enough tool to get the job done 2) guys that buy nice tools and don't loan them or lend them even to their fellow workers and 3) the guys that buy pretty good tools knowing the life span of a tool on the job site.

Someway, for my fellow contractors, Ridgid didn't hit the sweet spot anywhere with them.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2015 12:49 AM, wrote:
[...]

With all due respect...;~) You are a big boy! I considered a Ridgid
drill several years ago and felt that the only down fall was that they
were Heavy. Your coworkers and contractors may feel the same way.
It is probably your manly muscle bound hands and arms shield you from
the drawback of heavy tools. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 10:14:37 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/19/2015 12:49 AM, wrote:
[...]

I can't speak to the Ridgid tool weight of earlier versions, or compared it to other models available today, but compared to the DeWalt 18V DC970K that I have been using for the past many years, the Ridgid set that I just purchased is much smaller and lighter. Granted, the DeWalt has huge NiCAD batteries, which add to the weight and size.

On the other hand, the DeWalt radio is huge and heavy compared to the Ridgid radio, but the Ridgid radio absolutely S*U*C*K*S compared to the DeWalt radio.

I'll take the size, weight and durability of this...

http://adventuresofacouponista.com/w...-1024x1024.jpg

....over the sound of this, every day of the week:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...44c7ae_300.jpg

In addition, the DeWalt radio charges the battery if plugged into AC. The Ridgid radio is battery only. If you need to charge one of the Ridgid batteries while using the other one, you lose your tunes/sports.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 9:14:37 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

With all due respect...;~) You are a big boy! I considered a Ridgid
drill several years ago and felt that the only down fall was that they
were Heavy. Your coworkers and contractors may feel the same way.
It is probably your manly muscle bound hands and arms shield you from
the drawback of heavy tools. ;~)

I am still laughing my butt off at that, Leon. And just so you will know, I prefer to think of myself of 280 pounds of boyish fun. :^)

Even though I might use them all day, unless it is ridiculous, I never consider a tool's weight. So ya got me there. And you are right that my co workers and fellow contractors ARE concerned with tool weight and size. What a bunch of weenies, eh? ;^)

But size matters. (Did you hear the cymbal crash and Ed MacMahon's "hiyo"?)

All the Milwaukee, Makita and the Ridgid line of drills and saws have handles that are just entirely too small for me, the little 12v Ridgid drills being the exception. The brands I see at the big home stores are uncomfortable as I can barely get my palm and fingers between the trigger and and battery, and then I feel like I am holding a skinny broom stick. Same with most of their other tools in their lines.

I used to be a fan of DeWalt because they had great grips on some of their tools, but due to reliability issues I don't buy anything DeWalt anymore.

I am off to the salt mine. My manly self is charged this morning with final selection of paint colors, counter top color and texture as well as window treatment selections. I already picked out the floor treatments and other paint colors, so I might just stop by the tea room on the way out to the design center.

It isn't easy being me... ;^)

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2015 11:37 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 9:14:37 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

With all due respect...;~) You are a big boy! I considered a
Ridgid drill several years ago and felt that the only down fall was
that they were Heavy. Your coworkers and contractors may feel the
same way. It is probably your manly muscle bound hands and arms
shield you from the drawback of heavy tools. ;~)

I am still laughing my butt off at that, Leon. And just so you will
know, I prefer to think of myself of 280 pounds of boyish fun. :^)

We all paint an image of ourselves that borrows a lot from our youth...
then we catch a glimpse of ourselves in the mirror, coming out of the
shower, and the glass breaks. ;~)

Even though I might use them all day, unless it is ridiculous, I
never consider a tool's weight. So ya got me there. And you are
right that my co workers and fellow contractors ARE concerned with
tool weight and size. What a bunch of weenies, eh? ;^)

Sissies, the whole LOT... ROTFL
I can say that the tool that gets heavy at the end of the day is my Domino.

But size matters. (Did you hear the cymbal crash and Ed MacMahon's
"hiyo"?)

All the Milwaukee, Makita and the Ridgid line of drills and saws have
handles that are just entirely too small for me, the little 12v
Ridgid drills being the exception. The brands I see at the big home
stores are uncomfortable as I can barely get my palm and fingers
between the trigger and and battery, and then I feel like I am
holding a skinny broom stick. Same with most of their other tools in
their lines.

I will say that I have larger hands than the average man and I hate my
fingers digging into the palms of my hand so the girth of the handle is
important to me. I used to be big in to photography and felt that
Pentax cameras were designed for women. ;~)

I used to be a fan of DeWalt because they had great grips on some of
their tools, but due to reliability issues I don't buy anything
DeWalt anymore.

Same here.

I am off to the salt mine. My manly self is charged this morning
with final selection of paint colors, counter top color and texture
as well as window treatment selections. I already picked out the
floor treatments and other paint colors, so I might just stop by the
tea room on the way out to the design center.

It isn't easy being me... ;^)

If you need help with color choices call Karl and yank his chain. Wink
wink.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2015 12:49 AM, wrote:
[...]

Li-Ion has made a world of difference in tool weight...

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On the other hand, the DeWalt radio is huge and heavy compared to the
Ridgid radio, but the Ridgid radio absolutely S*U*C*K*S compared to
the DeWalt radio.

I think my Ridgid radio sucks too, but then again - it came in the kit. I
would never intentionally buy a tool for a damned radio. I think it was the
most stupid of additions to this kits. If I want tunes, I'll go out and buy
tunes - when I buy tools, I want tools. They could have left this right out
of the box in my opinion.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 5:54:54 PM UTC-4, Mike Marlow wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On the other hand, the DeWalt radio is huge and heavy compared to the
Ridgid radio, but the Ridgid radio absolutely S*U*C*K*S compared to
the DeWalt radio.

I think my Ridgid radio sucks too, but then again - it came in the kit. I
would never intentionally buy a tool for a damned radio. I think it was the
most stupid of additions to this kits. If I want tunes, I'll go out and buy
tunes - when I buy tools, I want tools. They could have left this right out
of the box in my opinion.

I agree. I bought the Ridgid kit because it was on sale, it just happened to come with the radio.

The DeWalt radio was bought way after I bought the drill. It was offered as a "reburbished tool only" deal. Since it ran on the 18v batteries and charged them as well, it was a good deal. I use it all the time - picnics, yard work, building projects, etc. I can't imagine how many hours I have on it, probably even more than the drill. :-)

So, just like you "If I want tunes, I'll go out and buy tunes - when I buy tools, I want tools." The Ridgid radio is going to get recycled the next time I dropped off some other electronic trash.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2015 12:49 AM, wrote:
[...]

Amazing. I can't imagine a radio worse than my DeWalt. I use it only
for playing MP3s (and haven't done that in a few years). In fact,
it's so bad I replaced it with a Bosch (also way overpriced).

I'll take the size, weight and durability of this...

http://adventuresofacouponista.com/w...-1024x1024.jpg

...over the sound of this, every day of the week:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...44c7ae_300.jpg

In addition, the DeWalt radio charges the battery if plugged into AC. The Ridgid radio is battery only. If you need to charge one of the Ridgid batteries while using the other one, you lose your tunes/sports.

Ever taken advantage of "lifetime warranty" on Home Depot kitchenfaucet? brassplyer Home Repair 23 May 18th 19 02:44 AM
Service at home depot. mm Home Repair 23 May 14th 11 03:54 PM
New Home Depot Service? Lee Michaels Woodworking 9 June 15th 10 04:24 PM
Home Depot lifetime warranty Terry Home Repair 36 June 6th 07 06:14 PM