Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Home Depot Lifetime Service adventure

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 5:08:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 2:52:16 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Apparently, that is not the case. Please see my earlier response to MM. I have since learned that there is a difference between Rigid's "Full Lifetime Warranty" and their "Lifetime Service Agreement". The warranty doesn't cover normal wear and tear, but the "Service Agreement" does.

I was mistaken when I said I was curious as to why the batteries would be covered under the Lifetime Warranty. They weren't. They were covered under the Lifetime Service Agreement because they were eligible for that coverage and properly registered by the original purchaser.

That explains why Ridgid has different pages for the "Full Lifetime Warranty" and the "Lifetime Service Agreement". They are not the same thing.

You got it.

When you buy their tools, it is important to recognize which warranty you are getting and what is covered. When I bought those two drills year ago I asked my commercial rep over and over if the batteries were covered and he always said "yes". He showed me the warranty, and it clearly stated that they were.

Note that any kind of misuse or abuse negates both of the warranties were are speaking of from Ridgid. So (as they told me on the national hotline) if you take a tool to them that has had the hell beat out of it, they don't have to cover it.

My commercial rep told me that HD intended to back their product, but they were counting on (as do all manufacturers) that most tools wouldn't be registered at all, registered incorrectly, or not in time. How many have put off registering because they knew they had 3 months, then forgot about it?

Then the registration process at that time required that you actually cut the UPC bar code off the box and send it in with your registration request.. They sent me an email that told me my account was ready to go, then I registered everything online. I don't know how they do it now, but I am sure they still make it a bit of a task.

The registration process was pretty simple. The instructions in the package said to register the serial numbers on-line, print out the completed form and then mail in the form, receipt and bar code. However, once you enter all of the serial numbers, there is a message that says you can streamline the registration process by entering the numbers under the bar code on the receipt instead of mailing the paperwork in. Only if there is a problem will they request that you mail in the paperwork. I've got everything ready to go if they request it.

Lastly, how many folks would need or take advantage of their warranty? If a homeowner feels they have gotten a good tool's worth of work out of a tool, likely they will just buy the newest, latest and greatest. Some folks just don't feel like the warranties are worth fooling with.

HD does make it easy, though. You can simply drop off you HD registered tool at any HD and they will fill out the paperwork with you, including a paper that says you will allow them to repair the tool for a fee if there is abuse or excessive wear determined, and you drive away. They will pack, ship, and eat the receive on their nickel if they fing the tool qualifies for warranty.

Overall, I am pretty happy has I have my two little drills back. I have a few over fifty overlay cabinet hinges to install today along with a few sets of drawer slides. With one drill set up to drill pilot holes and the other driving the hinge screws it moves along nicely.

Robert