Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Home Depot Lifetime Service adventure

On 3/19/2015 12:49 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 3:27:10 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
Well then, I'd say they are definitely streamlining the process,
due in part, no doubt, to the complaints about "hoops" through which to
jump. :-)

Sounds a lot smoother and easier than when I first registered my drills. That was (according to them) late 2007 or so. They had a major software change and data transfer to start up a new system somewhere just after that where the I had to go to the website and register a new password and verify all my registration info was still there. It was.

Like you, I have a few Ridgid tools and they have turned out to be real workhorses. I have two 5" ROSs, one for inside and one for outside. As I have posted before, the outside model has been used mercilessly and sanded a couple of thousand feet of fascia, ground off concrete to smooth it, and I don't think it has ever had anything finer than 80 grit on the pad. Still runs great, love the 8' cord and the reliability.

I have a 4" square pad sander, and it has just finished all the rough/medium sanding on its second full set of kitchen cabinets. I use it to sand all the doors on both sides, the interior of the cabinets (hello oatmeal board!) and then the rails and stiles. When hooked up to a shop vac it had really good dust collection, and it even came with a template to use if you want to make your own sandpaper with the correct hole position for dust collection.

I would buy both of those sanders and my little 12v drill again if they only had a one year warranty.

Their other tools don't have comfortable grips for me, and now in my 40th year of construction work I prize a comfy tool as much as good performance. There are times I drive a few hundred screws a day, so the tool grip has to be good in the hand. I am drilling almost 300 holes tomorrow and driving 300 screws to hang the kitchen doors and put new slides on drawers in the kitchen I just refinished. 600 operations with the drills if I don't have to rehang and refit to get the job I want! That's a lot of holes and a lot of screws to handle accurately so a good feel is important.

Strangely, I rarely see Ridgid out on the job. It seems there are three kinds of hands on working contractors these days, and usually they are a hybrid mix of these: 1) guys that buy just enough tool to get the job done 2) guys that buy nice tools and don't loan them or lend them even to their fellow workers and 3) the guys that buy pretty good tools knowing the life span of a tool on the job site.

Someway, for my fellow contractors, Ridgid didn't hit the sweet spot anywhere with them.

Robert

With all due respect...;~) You are a big boy! I considered a Ridgid
drill several years ago and felt that the only down fall was that they
were Heavy. Your coworkers and contractors may feel the same way.
It is probably your manly muscle bound hands and arms shield you from
the drawback of heavy tools. ;~)