Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot Lifetime Service adventure

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm curious as to why they replaced the batteries under warranty. If
I understand the terms of the warranty correctly, wouldn't "dead
batteries" after 4 -5 years of use be excluded due to the "normal
wear and tear" clause?

Here are a few of excerpts from their warranty website.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/full-lifetime-warranty

*** Begin Included Text ***

What is Covered

RIDGID tools are warranted to be free of material and workmanship
defects.

What is Not Covered

Failures due to misuse, abuse or normal wear and tear are not covered
by this warranty.

DEFECTS IN MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP:

It is our experience that a product that fails prematurely due to a
manufacturing defect in materials or workmanship, will generally do
so very early in the products life cycle, often the first or second
time the product is used. When returned for inspection, these
products are generally found to still be in like new condition and
show very little signs of use. It is uncommon for a product that was
manufactured with a defect, to survive under normal use for any
extended period of time. Products that are returned for warranty
inspection after months or years of continuous reliable service are
rarely found to be defective. The most common demand for service is
the result of normal wear and tear issues, which are not considered
to be a defect in materials or workmanship.

*** End Included Text ***

Can a dead battery really be considered "defective" after 4-5 years
of "continuous reliable service"?

Though it does seem like there is a Catch-22 in the warranty conditions, all
I can say is that I have had my batteries both replaced under warranty,
after maybe 3-4 years of use. No questions asked. In fact - the service
center appologized that they did not have the smaller batteries that my
tools came with, and asked if I would accept the full size batteries as the
replacement battery. Gee...

Here is an excerpt from their warranty page that is somewhat different from
what you found...

*** Begin Included Text ***

3-Year Limited Warranty and LSA
What is Covered? (applies to the 3-Year Limited Warranty, the Lifetime
Service Agreement, and the Recon Limited Warranty)

The 3 Year Limited Warranty, The Recon Limited Warranty and the Lifetime
Service Agreement covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools. This
includes normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears
and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGIDŽ Brand hand held and
stationary power tools. These programs also cover replacement rings, driver
blades and bumpers on RIDGIDŽ Brand pneumatic tools. This service coverage
does not apply to other ineligible RIDGIDŽ Brand products.

*** End Included Text ***

--

-Mike-