Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot lifetime warranty

I bought some caulk at Home Depot. I had it in the trunk of the car.
It is a car I hardly drive. Anyway....the caulk has been there for
several years.

I put it in a calk gun and it won't pump anything. I even took a coat
hanger to try to open the spout. I gouged it pretty good.

I carried it to Home Depot today to see if I could trade it for
another tube. The girl said that it has a use by date on the tube had
passed. That kind of voids the lifetime warranty. She said the
lifetime warranty was for the applied caulk. I wonder how you could
get another tube for some that has already been applied?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:40:17 -0400, Terry
wrote:

I bought some caulk at Home Depot. I had it in the trunk of the car.
It is a car I hardly drive. Anyway....the caulk has been there for
several years.

I put it in a calk gun and it won't pump anything. I even took a coat
hanger to try to open the spout. I gouged it pretty good.

I carried it to Home Depot today to see if I could trade it for
another tube. The girl said that it has a use by date on the tube had
passed. That kind of voids the lifetime warranty. She said the
lifetime warranty was for the applied caulk. I wonder how you could
get another tube for some that has already been applied?

Stop wondering and call the manufacturer's 800 number? Sounds like the
HD replies were fair.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 6:40 pm, Terry wrote:
I bought some caulk at Home Depot. I had it in the trunk of the car.
It is a car I hardly drive. Anyway....the caulk has been there for
several years.

I put it in a calk gun and it won't pump anything. I even took a coat
hanger to try to open the spout. I gouged it pretty good.

I carried it to Home Depot today to see if I could trade it for
another tube. The girl said that it has a use by date on the tube had
passed. That kind of voids the lifetime warranty. She said the
lifetime warranty was for the applied caulk. I wonder how you could
get another tube for some that has already been applied?

Probably not worth the quest. I had something similar with a whole
house water filter where I broke the housing on a Sunday morning and
ran to the hardware store to get a replacement. When I sent in the
warranty card and told them I had dropped and broken housing, they
sent me a new housing. Years later I used the new filter to replace
the old and the new one leaked. Manufacturer would not honor
warranty. They would not listen to my reasoning that although the
warranty card was mailed in about 6 years ago, that I just got around
to using the product
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
I bought some caulk at Home Depot. I had it in the trunk of the car.
It is a car I hardly drive. Anyway....the caulk has been there for
several years.

I put it in a calk gun and it won't pump anything. I even took a coat
hanger to try to open the spout. I gouged it pretty good.

I carried it to Home Depot today to see if I could trade it for
another tube. The girl said that it has a use by date on the tube had
passed. That kind of voids the lifetime warranty. She said the
lifetime warranty was for the applied caulk. I wonder how you could
get another tube for some that has already been applied?

It sounds like a fair policy. I would not be surprised if the
manufacturer might offer a free replacement, but think about it. They don't
really owe you a replacement. I wonder if I can return that quart of milk I
bought two years ago? :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 6:40 pm, Terry wrote:
I bought some caulk at Home Depot. I had it in the trunk of the car.
It is a car I hardly drive. Anyway....the caulk has been there for
several years.

I put it in a calk gun and it won't pump anything. I even took a coat
hanger to try to open the spout. I gouged it pretty good.

I carried it to Home Depot today to see if I could trade it for
another tube. The girl said that it has a use by date on the tube had
passed. That kind of voids the lifetime warranty. She said the
lifetime warranty was for the applied caulk. I wonder how you could
get another tube for some that has already been applied?

Greetings,

I wish there was an option when you were at the checkout to purchase
the ability to return or not with two different prices. I don't like
having to pay extra for people who use the return system to see what
they can get away with rather than to return defective products.

William Deans

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:32:09 -0700, Frank
wrote:

Probably not worth the quest.

A local ad is selling 1500 tubes of caulk for $700.00(?); image
getting any warranty replacement service.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 7:53 pm, " wrote:
On Jun 3, 6:40 pm, Terry wrote:

[...]

Define lifetime warranty.

I never bought any milk that had a lifetime warranty, but the caulk
plainly says "lifetime warranty"

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 3, 5:40 pm, Terry wrote:
I bought some caulk at Home Depot. ...

I'm assuming this is a joke from the last smiley, but...

It isn't a "Home Depot" warranty, it's the manufacturers'
warranty...and it does specificallly note it is for if the product
fails in application...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, Terry wrote:

Define lifetime warranty.

In use, of course.

I never bought any milk that had a lifetime warranty, but the caulk
plainly says "lifetime warranty"

You already got your answer: the warranty is for the applied caulk. Don't like
it? Call the manufacturer. Maybe they'll send you a replacement tube just to
shut you up.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Terry wrote:
I carried it to Home Depot today to see if I could trade it for
another tube. The girl said that it has a use by date on the tube had
passed. That kind of voids the lifetime warranty. She said the
lifetime warranty was for the applied caulk. I wonder how you could
get another tube for some that has already been applied?

The fine print of the warranty probably has some restrictions, including
that it only covers the product when used according to the instructions.
I'm guessing there is nothing in the instructions that says "leave caulk
tube unopened in car trunk for several years before first use", so you
are probably out of luck on this one.

--
--Tim Smith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 17:04:01 -0700, Terry
wrote:
Define lifetime warranty.

Life of the product.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

about 25 years ago my best friend bought 2 true blue lifetime
guaranteed car batteries from sunoco. 6 years later the batteries
died, sunoco was oput of the battery business so they replaced the 2
batteries, and refunded the purchase price. well then the lawyers got
involved and he has been getting free batteries every 5 years or so
ever since. although these last 2 sunoco kinda told him this i the
last freebie. i hope my friend 75 lives long enough to hassle them for
another set.

this is the only lifetime warranty i know of thats still valid after
so long.

yeah he still has the same vehicles after all these years. a 66 jeep
and 68 impala both converted by him to run on compressed natural gas,
he has a large war surplus compressor

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 8:19 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com, Terry wrote:

Define lifetime warranty.

In use, of course.

I never bought any milk that had a lifetime warranty, but the caulk
plainly says "lifetime warranty"

You already got your answer: the warranty is for the applied caulk. Don't like
it? Call the manufacturer. Maybe they'll send you a replacement tube just to
shut you up.

Who put sand in your vagina?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
Define lifetime warranty.

I never bought any milk that had a lifetime warranty, but the caulk
plainly says "lifetime warranty"

But it also has a "use by" date and you didn't use it by that date, thus
voiding the warranty. Seems fair to me. Why should the manufacturer have
to pay for your negligence?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a set of (front) brakes on my 01 Camry that have a lifetime
warranty from Auto Zone. Of course every 3 years when I go in there is a
newbie there who has to be instructed how to give me a new set. I plan
on trying to give the 75 year old with the batteries a run for who the
bigger cheapskate is.. ;/)

I'm 48 and I'm about 5 years into this one..
CP

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:

Define lifetime warranty.

I never bought any milk that had a lifetime warranty, but the caulk
plainly says "lifetime warranty"

I also said it had a useful life and I would say that is its lifetime
(while in the tube).

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:

Define lifetime warranty.

I never bought any milk that had a lifetime warranty, but the caulk
plainly says "lifetime warranty"

The tube doesn't leak, does it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I never bought any milk that had a lifetime warranty, but the caulk
plainly says "lifetime warranty"

The tube doesn't leak, does it?

not when its hard

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 3, 7:04 pm, Terry wrote:
On Jun 3, 7:53 pm, " wrote:

On Jun 3, 6:40 pm, Terry wrote:

[...]

You haven't provided the particular product nor the actual wording of
the guarantee/warranty so it's not possible to judge what was said
other than the one word you selected to highlight.

So, here's a typical one from a DAP product -- I'm _quite_ sure the
one on the product you bought was/is actually written quite similarly
and clearly will only cover the application, not that the material
will remain in a usable state in the tube indefinitely.

"Lifetime Durability Guarantee:
DAP warrants the performance of this product for sealant purposes
during the lifetime of your home. If not satisfied with product
performance when used as directed,..."

Note that both the definition of what "lifetime" means and the useage/
application are specified...

As stated before, I really hope you weren't _seriously_ expecting the
manufacturer or HD to replace these...

Posted to alt.home.repair

this is the only lifetime warranty i know of thats still valid after
so long.

Craftsmen hand tools have a lifetime warranty. I just replaced a 30 yr.
old rachet

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jun 3, 7:53 pm, " wrote:
On Jun 3, 6:40 pm, Terry wrote:

[...]

When stored and used according to the manufacturers specifications,
which apparently included a use-by date, and probably didn't
include storage in a 150 degree trunk for years.

They probably woudn't have honored the warranty if you'd
set the thing on fire, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lowes lifetime warranty

I have a sump pump that is struggling. I have lots of water so I bought
one with a lifetime warranty. It does not reliably shut off so I called
the manufacturer for some service. They said I had 2 options.

1. Haul it in to Lowes where I would get a completely new replacement
pump. But this is only available once in the lifetime of the pump.

2. They can send out a new pressure switch.

I chose #2 and they sent out the switch without a single hassle. Have not
received it yet, but the service for this Wayne-reliantone pump is
excellent.

dnoyeB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:

I never bought any milk that had a lifetime warranty, but the caulk
plainly says "lifetime warranty"

But the milk and caulk both had "use by" dates. If you decide to store
the milk for six months or the caulk for a few years and they spoil or
become unusable that would be your choice and not a defect in the product.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jun 3, 7:32 pm, Frank wrote:
On Jun 3, 6:40 pm, Terry wrote:

[...]

Last year I bought a fern at Lowe's, with the 1 year guarantee. Didn't
come up this spring, so I went back with the tag and the receipt. They
wanted the plant back. I pointed out to them that after a small
herbaceous plant dies in the winter, come spring there isn't any
plant, that's the definition of a dead plant. They wanted the plant
back. I went home, found the old pot, filled it full of mud from the
general vicinity of the dead fern in the hope that some molecule in
there might be part of the original, and exchanged it for my refund,
happily delivered.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jun 4, 12:26 pm, "David Martel" wrote:
this is the only lifetime warranty i know of thats still valid after
so long.

Craftsmen hand tools have a lifetime warranty. I just replaced a 30 yr.
old rachet

Dave M.

Doesn't apply to torque wrenches. Even though the guts of the wrench
are fine, it's the cheap plastic lock ring that deteriorated from
exposure to oil. I fixed it with a hose clamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
I have a sump pump that is struggling. I have lots of water so I bought
one with a lifetime warranty. It does not reliably shut off so I called
the manufacturer for some service. They said I had 2 options.

1. Haul it in to Lowes where I would get a completely new replacement
pump. But this is only available once in the lifetime of the pump.

I'd have to read the fine print, but that does not seem like quite a
"lifetime" to me. What if the fist pump was defective and had to be replace
in a week, the second failed the same way the following week. Would you be
SOL?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 3, 8:19 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com,
Terry wrote:

Define lifetime warranty.

In use, of course.

I never bought any milk that had a lifetime warranty, but the
caulk
plainly says "lifetime warranty"

You already got your answer: the warranty is for the applied caulk.
Don't like
it? Call the manufacturer. Maybe they'll send you a replacement
tube just to
shut you up.

Who put sand in your vagina?

And who in yours? I thought it was a reasonable response.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
I have a set of (front) brakes on my 01 Camry that have a lifetime
warranty from Auto Zone. Of course every 3 years when I go in there
is a
newbie there who has to be instructed how to give me a new set. I
plan
on trying to give the 75 year old with the batteries a run for who
the
bigger cheapskate is.. ;/)

I checked when I bought new pads recently. The "lifetime" warrantee no
longer covers "wear and tear".

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
I bought some caulk at Home Depot. I had it in the trunk of the car.
It is a car I hardly drive. Anyway....the caulk has been there for
several years.

I put it in a calk gun and it won't pump anything. I even took a
coat
hanger to try to open the spout. I gouged it pretty good.

I carried it to Home Depot today to see if I could trade it for
another tube. The girl said that it has a use by date on the tube
had
passed. That kind of voids the lifetime warranty. She said the
lifetime warranty was for the applied caulk. I wonder how you could
get another tube for some that has already been applied?

You are lucky it wasn't silicone caulk, which often fails to cure when
old, leaving a gooey mess.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
z wrote:

On Jun 4, 12:26 pm, "David Martel" wrote:
this is the only lifetime warranty i know of thats still valid after
so long.

Craftsmen hand tools have a lifetime warranty. I just replaced a 30 yr.
old rachet

Dave M.

Doesn't apply to torque wrenches. Even though the guts of the wrench
are fine, it's the cheap plastic lock ring that deteriorated from
exposure to oil. I fixed it with a hose clamp.

A few years back, a friend of mine went into Sears with a Craftsman hand
tool that had failed. I don't remember exactly what it was, but they had
some excuse why that particular tool didn't have a lifetime warranty. He
held the tool up in outstretched arm and asked, in a VERY loud voice,
"Are you telling me that you're refusing to replace my broken Craftsman
guaranteed for life hand tool?" With fifty customers looking on from
everywhere, the dept. mgr. quietly handed him a new tool.

Sadly, Tony put a bullet in his head a couple of years ago, so I guess
all his lifetime warranties are now expired.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:41:45 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

Sadly, Tony put a bullet in his head a couple of years ago, so I guess
all his lifetime warranties are now expired.

Suicide is the sincerest form of self-criticism.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine does.... But It's possible they don't offer it for NEW purchases
anymore. I just returned mine for a new pair ..(ahem)... of pads...

Charles

Home Depot lifetime warranty

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Jun 4, 2007, 12:57pm (EDT-3) From:
(Bob*F)
I checked when I bought new pads recently. The "lifetime" warrantee no
longer covers "wear and tear".
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 19:15:25 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
I have a sump pump that is struggling. I have lots of water so I bought
one with a lifetime warranty. It does not reliably shut off so I called
the manufacturer for some service. They said I had 2 options.

1. Haul it in to Lowes where I would get a completely new replacement
pump. But this is only available once in the lifetime of the pump.

I'd have to read the fine print, but that does not seem like quite a
"lifetime" to me. What if the fist pump was defective and had to be replace
in a week, the second failed the same way the following week. Would you be
SOL?

True. its 'limited' lifetime warranty. He said I could get parts, but
the complete replace was only offered once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 02:39:48 +0000, Dan Lanciani wrote:

In article , (dnoyeB) writes:
| I have a sump pump that is struggling. I have lots of water so I bought
| one with a lifetime warranty. It does not reliably shut off so I called
| the manufacturer for some service. They said I had 2 options.
|
| 1. Haul it in to Lowes where I would get a completely new replacement
| pump. But this is only available once in the lifetime of the pump.
|
| 2. They can send out a new pressure switch.
|
| I chose #2 and they sent out the switch without a single hassle. Have not
| received it yet, but the service for this Wayne-reliantone pump is
| excellent.

I recently bought (at HD) a Rigid brand sump pump with a "lifetime"
warranty. On reading the fine print (inside of course) I found that
the warranty is conditioned on following a certain required maintenance
schedule. Maintenance must be performed by a Rigid authorized service
center (at customer's expense, naturally). If anyone other than an
authorized service center opens the pump case the warranty is void.
Of particular note, the entire stator assembly must be replaced every
five years as part of this required routine "maintenance." Oddly
the impeller never needs to be replaced...

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

i bought this pump specifically because I can take it apart. i dont know
how that affects the warranty, but i need to open it every 6 months to c
lean all the caked on dirt off.

Anyway, I have a sewerage ejector pump I put in for a while. This thing
has a 2" opening and is cast iron and I figured it would be a noise maker.
Its WAY quieter than the reliantone. im gonna reshape the pipe one more
ime so it stops wobbling, then im gonna keep that pump in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jun 4, 4:41 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

Sadly, Tony put a bullet in his head a couple of years ago, so I guess
all his lifetime warranties are now expired.

Hell, it's the thought of wasting all those lifetime warranties and
letting the companies get away with it that keeps me alive.