Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Miter saw Stand

Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand
(Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself?
FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in
some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer. Another
option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use a roller
stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it looksrisky). It's
not like I'm planning to build a deck or anythinglike that--more like,
"clamp stand" and "plant table".

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand
(Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself?
FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in
some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer.
Another option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use
a roller stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it
looksrisky). It's not like I'm planning to build a deck or
anythinglike that--more like, "clamp stand" and "plant table".

Bill

P.S. Sorry my words run together onsome of my posts... Its from writing
in html andposting in text. I need a better solution.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2013 6:23 PM, Bill wrote:
Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand
(Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself?
FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in
some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer. Another
option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use a roller
stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it looksrisky). It's
not like I'm planning to build a deck or anythinglike that--more like,
"clamp stand" and "plant table".

Bill

That depends, my personal feelings on these type of stands is that they
server the contractor better than a woodworker.
But if you are just using it for home repair then it probably fits the
bill (no pun intended)... But if you plan to gravitate to furniture,
etc.. then the drawbacks I see are repeatabliity (acurately)
Will you actually set it up. I picked up a kitchen cabinet from a
neighbor, built wings and mounted it. I don't have long wings, like that
in your setup. But I can comfortably put an eight foot board on by
adding my roller or ball bearing supports. My wings give me 43 inches
left and right of the blade.

It's good price. BTW you don't need a jointer to make one. use mdf,
mdo, baltic birch, or cab grade ply. if you don't have a TS yet, route
your dados. The most imporant dados are the fence. the support can be
more crude, it just has to keep the fence from deflecting.

See if you can find reviews.. if you are purchasing that. Don't wind up
buying twice.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:23:04 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand

(Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself?

FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in

some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer. Another

option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use a roller

stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it looksrisky). It's

not like I'm planning to build a deck or anythinglike that--more like,

"clamp stand" and "plant table".

Bill

A couple of thoughts, Bill. I don't know anything about that unit, but if you want to buy rather than build keep an eye on CL for a few days and one is likely to come up. I built my own pretty quickly using two-bys and laminated MDF. I've got two 15" by 4' tables with a center recess that brings the chop saw table coplanar with the table tops. I used angle iron on the center ends of each table and mounted my chop saw to another piece of MDF. That keeps the chop saw portable. I also mounted a long t-track on one of the tables with a stop block for multiple cuts to the same length.

Good luck,

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand
(Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself?
FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in
some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer.
Another option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use
a roller stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it
looksrisky). It's not like I'm planning to build a deck or
anythinglike that--more like, "clamp stand" and "plant table".

A jointer for a tool stand? You're not making a future heirloom here -
sturdy is all that counts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2013 5:23 PM, Bill wrote:
Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand
(Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself?
FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in
some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer. Another
option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use a roller
stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it looksrisky). It's
not like I'm planning to build a deck or anythinglike that--more like,
"clamp stand" and "plant table".

Bill

Looks good but If I were to do it all over again I would with and about
$70~$100 more . Seems a bit more versatile.

http://www.htcproductsinc.com/mswc.html

Sold here too,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

A jointer for a tool stand? You're not making a future heirloom here -
sturdy is all that counts.

None of the 2by material I bring home lies in a plane!

Not gonna set a piece of plywood across 2 wavy 2by4s, no not gonna do
it! : )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2013 7:47 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/17/2013 5:23 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Leon, first a festooly, and now a rep for HTC???

How much do you make pushing tools Leon...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

It's good price. BTW you don't need a jointer to make one. use mdf,
mdo, baltic birch, or cab grade ply. if you don't have a TS yet, route
your dados. The most imporant dados are the fence. the support can be
more crude, it just has to keep the fence from deflecting.

Thanks for mentioned that. I didn't even think of a fence.

See if you can find reviews.. if you are purchasing that. Don't wind
up buying twice.

I could not find any reviews. The one that Leon posted a link to looks
a little nicer ($70 more).
The one Leon provided a link to is steel at 75 pounds, the former is
alluminum at 52 pounds.

Thank you for all of the comments (from everyone who has replied). They
have already been helpful!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand (Masterforce
MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself? FWIW, I collected anew
Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in some shop time this weekend, but on
an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer. Another option is
to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use a roller stand (I've seen
pictures of that being done, but it looksrisky). It's not like I'm planning to
build a deck or anythinglike that--more like, "clamp stand" and "plant table".

Bill

As others have said - you don't need a jointer to make your own.
Here's some -plans in case you do make your own.
Art

http://toolmonger.com/2007/04/23/nor...hop-saw-table/

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2009/02...plans-and-more

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 3/17/2013 6:23 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

If you have a good fence, and a secure design, and a good blade, can
this tool be expected to work to furniture-level tolerences? FWIW, I
bought an LED for the miter saw.

So far, I'm finding furniture-level tolerences to be a pain, and I've
barely started!

Anyone besides Leon familial with this beast (I see it is "Handy Man
Member Tested and Recommended"!).

http://www.htcproductsinc.com/mswc.html

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message ...

Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand
(Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself?
FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in
some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer. Another
option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use a roller
stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it looksrisky). It's
not like I'm planning to build a deck or anythinglike that--more like,
"clamp stand" and "plant table".
================================================== ====================================
I have my miter saw on a portable stand so I can take it were the work is.
It also has the added advantage that it can be collapsed and stood against a
wall. I have seen the permanent stands that people make and they are great
for shop use but portable they aren't. . I have been working with wood, off
and on, for over 40 years and have never had the need for a jointer so if
you feel the need to build something, the lack of a jointer is not a
problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 3/17/2013 6:23 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

I was thinking about what you said--"repeatability". Now I get it.

Anyone besides Leon familial with this beast (I see it is "Handy Man
Member Tested and Recommended"!).

http://www.htcproductsinc.com/mswc.html

This stand did was Not particularly well-received by the reviewing
public! I like the concept though.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2013 7:33 PM, Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 3/17/2013 6:23 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Woodcraft sells the unit.

Here is a good and a bad review. Either way IIRC it las a life time
warranty.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...InformationTab

Posted to rec.woodworking

And

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...InformationTab

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand
(Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself?
FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in
some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer. Another
option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use a roller
stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it looksrisky). It's
not like I'm planning to build a deck or anythinglike that--more like,
"clamp stand" and "plant table".

Bill

Mine sits on a dropped section of my wall cabinet so that the saw
table is level with the rest of the cabinet. Also has a dust
extractor hose attached and a wall mounted spotlight on the cutting
area. I don't do house calls or construction work.

--
 GW Ross

 Phobia: what's left after drinking 2
 out of a 6 pack.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
woodchucker wrote:

It's good price. BTW you don't need a jointer to make one. use mdf, mdo,
baltic birch, or cab grade ply. if you don't have a TS yet, route your
dados. The most imporant dados are the fence. the support can be more
crude, it just has to keep the fence from deflecting.

Thanks for mentioned that. I didn't even think of a fence.

See if you can find reviews.. if you are purchasing that. Don't wind up
buying twice.

I could not find any reviews. The one that Leon posted a link to looks a
little nicer ($70 more).
The one Leon provided a link to is steel at 75 pounds, the former is
alluminum at 52 pounds.

Thank you for all of the comments (from everyone who has replied). They
have already been helpful!

Bill

I've got this on my list for my 12"bosch
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWX726-Rolling-Miter-Stand/dp/B0066N7C74/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3FS2WHQ8HSM8 V&coliid=ILAH4F2J523YF

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/cw4bnqr

Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:
Bill wrote:
[...]

Wall cabinet is a poor choice of words. It is a table/cabinet which
is attached to the wall.

--
 GW Ross

 Phobia: what's left after drinking 2
 out of a 6 pack.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 3/17/2013 7:33 PM, Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 3/17/2013 6:23 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Impressive that it even supports a router table:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...le-pm7010.aspx

FWIW, the Portamate unit has a 1 year warranty, but the Menards
Masterforce unit has a lifetime warranty.
However, the former is steel and the latter aluminum.

Many of you may recall that I can't cut most man-made materials, due to
Formaldehyde-related allergies.
Thus I'm restricted to building with Purebond plywood (which, except for
C-3 plywood, is inconvenient to get)
and wood, and all of my decisions are made in that context. I can't
just grab a sheet of MDF because it's appropriate.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
And

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...InformationTab

Hmm.. At Amazon is says 1 year warranty. At Woodcraft it says lifetime
warranty.
Not sure it makes any difference yet. Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand
(Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself?
FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in
some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer.
Another option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use
a roller stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it
looksrisky). It's not like I'm planning to build a deck or
anythinglike that--more like, "clamp stand" and "plant table".

Oh no... this is going to be a long thread - I can just feel it!

First - forget the jointer Bill. You have no need for a jointer to build a
simple stand for a miter saw. Next - plenty of miter saws have been screwed
to a pair of saw horses, and used to cut tons of wood with no risky stuff.
What do you see as risky? Go ahead and do it that way until you come up
with your ultimate solution. Or, screw a piece of plywood to the horses and
set your saw on it. You don't need rollers either. You don't move stock
through a miter saw - you place the stock on it. Simple fixed stands at the
right height will work just fine.

As for your url - that looks to be an ok rig for the price. Not the
ultimate, but plenty good enough. If you're anxious to get going with your
saw, then just go buy it. It will work. You're not a contractor, nor are
you going to build the volume of work that Karl and Leon do, so you don't
need to worry about steel vs aluminum or stuff like that.

Here's another option. This was intended to be a temporary stand, and it's
still in use many years after I knocked it together. Probably will be for a
long time. It's just an old gas grill stand. It works for me because I'm
all about the portability of tools in my garage. I do use HF roller stands
with it because I have them for my table saw anyway, but as I said, you
could just knock together a couple of fixed stands in 20 minutes.

http://s1259.beta.photobucket.com/us...20Tools?page=1

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Here's another option. This was intended to be a temporary stand, and
it's still in use many years after I knocked it together. Probably
will be for a long time. It's just an old gas grill stand. It works
for me because I'm all about the portability of tools in my garage. I
do use HF roller stands with it because I have them for my table saw
anyway, but as I said, you could just knock together a couple of fixed
stands in 20 minutes.
http://s1259.beta.photobucket.com/us...20Tools?page=1

Mike,

Very creative use of your gas grill stand! That would practically
satisfy my current needs. It might need a fence, I guess it depends! ; )

Cheers,
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

It's good price. BTW you don't need a jointer to make one. use mdf,
mdo, baltic birch, or cab grade ply. if you don't have a TS yet, route
your dados. The most imporant dados are the fence. the support can be
more crude, it just has to keep the fence from deflecting.

Thanks for mentioned that. I didn't even think of a fence.

See if you can find reviews.. if you are purchasing that. Don't wind up buying twice.

I could not find any reviews. The one that Leon posted a link to looks a
little nicer ($70 more).
The one Leon provided a link to is steel at 75 pounds, the former is
alluminum at 52 pounds.

Thank you for all of the comments (from everyone who has replied). They
have already been helpful!

I traded this:

http://e-woodshop.net/images/TempShop7.jpg

For this:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gv...-28-08_669.jpg

Although it has served me well, both in the shop and onsite,I would
probably spring for this today:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-T4B-Grav.../dp/B000VZNEM0

I much prefer a portable stand, like the above over the first, shop built,
one.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2013 7:58 PM, Bill wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

A jointer for a tool stand? You're not making a future heirloom here -
sturdy is all that counts.

None of the 2by material I bring home lies in a plane!

Not gonna set a piece of plywood across 2 wavy 2by4s, no not gonna do
it! : )

Bill

Bill,
I have a wood rack. I built it to hold my hardwoods. What I found is
that I can clamp 2 x 4's to the supports all in (plane) and leave them
there for a few months. This brings them to equilibrium, but due to my
setting them with clamps seems to keep them very straight. I realize
that they might be held in stress, but so far each one that I have
either ripped or crosscut has stayed that way.

So 2x can be used, you just need patience.

Not saying you could use for furniture, but you could use for other
purposes. Pick nice straight stuff to begin with, also look for clean
wood. Spruce has lots of knots, doug fir can be found clean.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2013 9:49 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
[...]

Mike, nice recycling of a grill stand.
I think you could make it sturdier by adding a set of stretchers
underneath , make it a 5" wide stretcher screwed top and bottom after
drilling holes mount it middle of the front and back.. you can then hold
wood like Swingman had in his. This will stiffen that puppy up nicely.
any ply or particle board can be used for the strechers...

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Here's another option. This was intended to be a temporary stand, and
it's still in use many years after I knocked it together. Probably
will be for a long time. It's just an old gas grill stand. It works
for me because I'm all about the portability of tools in my garage. I
do use HF roller stands with it because I have them for my table saw
anyway, but as I said, you could just knock together a couple of
fixed stands in 20 minutes.
http://s1259.beta.photobucket.com/us...20Tools?page=1

Mike,

Very creative use of your gas grill stand! That would practically
satisfy my current needs. It might need a fence, I guess it depends!
; )

It does benefit from a fence. I had one on this setup but removed it to
make changes to it and... well, you know how it goes...

The good part about something like this is that you get to build it. Put
some of those new tools to use, and get some sawdust on your hands... and in
your shoes.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Mike, nice recycling of a grill stand.
I think you could make it sturdier by adding a set of stretchers
underneath , make it a 5" wide stretcher screwed top and bottom after
drilling holes mount it middle of the front and back.. you can then
hold wood like Swingman had in his. This will stiffen that puppy up
nicely. any ply or particle board can be used for the strechers...

That would certainly stiffen it but it's really quite solid as it is. I
know it does not look like it would be but there are stretchers at the
bottom and the mdf serves to act as a stretcher on the top. No wobble, no
racking. Quite solid actually. It was never intended to be a permanant
solution, but it's been around so long now that I guess it will just be
permanant. No real need to replace it. I'm going to throw a box in the
bottom to hold some stuff like my circular saw and some other things. What
you can't see is that underneath the table the saw is bolted to, there is a
chute that directs all of the cut-offs and most all of the sawdust out the
back of the stand. Works reasonably well.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

A jointer for a tool stand? You're not making a future heirloom here
- sturdy is all that counts.

None of the 2by material I bring home lies in a plane!

Not gonna set a piece of plywood across 2 wavy 2by4s, no not gonna do
it! : )

Buy better 2x4's Bill. They only cost $ 0.50 more than the "interesting"
stuff.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

FWIW, the Portamate unit has a 1 year warranty, but the Menards
Masterforce unit has a lifetime warranty.
However, the former is steel and the latter aluminum.

IMHO, being made of aluminum is an advantage: if you're not going to move the saw around,
you don't need a portable stand -- and if you *do* need a portable stand, you *want* it to be
aluminum.

I've been using a DeWalt DW723 portable stand for my 10" miter saw for about 8 years now.
It's made of aluminum, and it's (a) plenty sturdy, and (b) heavy enough as it is. I'm really, really
glad it's *not* steel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Here's another option. This was intended to be a temporary stand, and
it's still in use many years after I knocked it together. Probably will
be for a long time. It's just an old gas grill stand. It works for me
because I'm all about the portability of tools in my garage. I do use HF
roller stands with it because I have them for my table saw anyway, but as
I said, you could just knock together a couple of fixed stands in 20
minutes.

http://s1259.beta.photobucket.com/us...20Tools?page=1

There ya go! That is some inspired recycling there. And you can always
yank the top off and grill a couple steaks.

I don't use my miter saw that much. I have an old wood box, outside, turned
over with the bottom us. It is an outdoor utility, workbench. I just put
my saw up there and put up a couple roller stands on each end. It ain't
fancy, but it gets the job done. I have made hundreds of cuts with it. And
for working around the house, in my back yard, it is enough.

If I was doing this sort of thing for a living or at other locations, this
obviously would not work. I remember a friend of mine who used to cut lots
of wood and metal on the floor. He just put down a kneeling pad and just
worked off of the floor. I tried that and did not like it. so I made a
platform and he called me a pussy. I ran into him the other day. He is
considerably older now. I asked about his shop.

He now has individual workstations for all the tools. And excellent
lighting. And dust control, Etc., etc. Everything is up in the air now.
And I suspect that some of the aging that took place with him was
accelerated because he was working on the floor. That sort of thing catches
up with you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Before there were CSMSs, I bought Delta's Sawbuck, with the solid table -
https://www.google.com/search?q=Delt...w=1280&bih=690

It easily goes anywhere for all sorts of tasks, so mobility is a great asset. The circular saw limits work to smaller cuttings (16" wide, 2 3/4" thick for straight cuts, much wider but less thick for angle cuts), but it surely takes care of 90% of my miter and other cutting tasks that "require" this type of saw. For larger cuttings, I have Delta's 33-890 RAS.

Whether you buy a stand or make one, make sure it is stable, though it shouldn't take much to insure its stability, an adequatley wide footprint. Your CSMS is likely a little heavier than my sawbuck, but establishing the required stability shouldn't take much doing.

It's easy to buy a stand, rather than making one. Steel or aluminum frame? Aluminum should do very well, as hospital/patient gurneys are made with aluminum frames and can handle lots of weight, which prompts me to suggest, if convenient for you....

*It's not uncommon for me to look for a recycle solution, for my own needs, sometimes, so....

Maybe, check out your local hospital and/or ambulance service for a broken gurney (for free?) and use it to make a portable stand. The wheels are tough and dependable, also. This sort of thing is easier for me, since I have a close history with the local hospitals, here, but if convenient and making your own stand is practical for you, check them out for an available gurney.

Facilities can't afford the liability of using a broken gurney, so they just throw them away. One hospital, here, does keep the wheels from damaged gurneys, for replacing on other gurneys, when needed, so a salvvaged gurney may not have wheels.

Most gurneys have collapseable mechanisms and this can possibly be modified/adapted to accommodate foldup, for transport of your CSMS work station.

Maybe even Salvation Army or Goodwill will have a gurney available for cheap.

I have several furniture carts, for my upholstery transport work, made from free salvaged gurneys.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2013 8:39 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Sonny. As of this morning I AM leaning towards a stand which
will give me "repeatable cuts"--at least in the long term. In
the short term, I can surely do fine with another configuration.

This distinction, was a useful concept, at least for me, that came out
of this thread.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Thank you, Sonny. As of this morning I AM leaning towards a stand
which will give me "repeatable cuts"--at least in the long term. In
the short term, I can surely do fine with another configuration.

This distinction, was a useful concept, at least for me, that came
out of this thread.

Anything can give you repeatable cuts Bill. It just has to be secure, and
able to support the length of stock you are working with. That's where
outboard supports become your friend. Repeatablity is mostly in the hands
of the user, and maybe a stop block thrown in for good measure. Even a saw
mounted on a pair of sawhorses can promise you repeatability.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2013 9:17 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

Thank you, Sonny. As of this morning I AM leaning towards a stand
which will give me "repeatable cuts"--at least in the long term. In
the short term, I can surely do fine with another configuration.

This distinction, was a useful concept, at least for me, that came
out of this thread.

Anything can give you repeatable cuts Bill. It just has to be secure, and
able to support the length of stock you are working with. That's where
outboard supports become your friend. Repeatablity is mostly in the hands
of the user, and maybe a stop block thrown in for good measure. Even a saw
mounted on a pair of sawhorses can promise you repeatability.

It seems like the stop-block and the fence are essential elements for
repeatability of decent-sized work. Without them, how do you achieve it?

BTW, it appears that the ends of the Port-A-Mate are designed to work as
stop-blocks. I'll be paying attention!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 18:23:04 -0400, Bill wrote:

Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand
(Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself?
FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in
some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer. Another
option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use a roller
stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it looksrisky). It's
not like I'm planning to build a deck or anythinglike that--more like,
"clamp stand" and "plant table".

Bill

$64,,, 71 lbs of twisted steel & sex appeal ;-)

http://www.harborfreight.com/mobile-...and-40612.html

nuff said....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

[...]

Once you get your miter saw stand you can add this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aXZ0LZyKAeI
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

[...]

If you want exact, repeated cuts, the first time, use stop blocks.
Plain and simple.
Unless you're building a deck where 1/8" is pretty good tolerance. :-)

You just don't get several pieces of wood cut to pass the finger test*
by eyeballing a laser against a pencil mark. If you do get a couple to
be a perfect match, it was luck.

*Finger test: all cut pieces stacked together, one end against a fence
that is perfectly square to the table. When rubbing your finger down the
stacked, cut ends, your finger cannot feels any "seems" between the
pieces. They all feel like one piece of wood.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2013 7:39 AM, Sonny wrote:
Before there were CSMSs, I bought Delta's Sawbuck, with the solid table -
https://www.google.com/search?q=Delt...w=1280&bih=690

Had one of those 30 years ago when I was building recording studios ...
it was great.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 18, 2013 8:29:05 AM UTC-6, Spalted Walt wrote:
$64,,, 71 lbs of twisted steel & sex appeal ;-) http://www.harborfreight.com/mobile-...and-40612.html nuff said....

Product depth 22" and 37 3/4" high. Does this mean its table top is 22" front to back? If so, then the leg span, front to back, is 20" or less. That might be iffy for stability, with Bill's saw's weight and any beefy lumber, as high as it will be. A couple of the reviews said it was wobbly, but didn't say why.

The leg span of my sawbuck, front to back, is 25", table top is 35 3/4" high. I've never had any stability issues.

MM Oh no... this is going to be a long thread - I can just feel it!

LOL.

Temporary stand? Several half-lap jointed 2X4s in a narrower-at-the-top "H-A" frame assembly (wide front-to-back footprint), X2, then heavy-duty hinged to each end of a table top's frame, makes for an inexpensively made stand. Install leg extension stops. Optional: A few wheels on an axle makes for the mobility.

Sonny