Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Miter saw Stand

On 3/17/2013 9:49 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand
(Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself?
FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in
some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer.
Another option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use
a roller stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it
looksrisky). It's not like I'm planning to build a deck or
anythinglike that--more like, "clamp stand" and "plant table".

Oh no... this is going to be a long thread - I can just feel it!

First - forget the jointer Bill. You have no need for a jointer to build a
simple stand for a miter saw. Next - plenty of miter saws have been screwed
to a pair of saw horses, and used to cut tons of wood with no risky stuff.
What do you see as risky? Go ahead and do it that way until you come up
with your ultimate solution. Or, screw a piece of plywood to the horses and
set your saw on it. You don't need rollers either. You don't move stock
through a miter saw - you place the stock on it. Simple fixed stands at the
right height will work just fine.

As for your url - that looks to be an ok rig for the price. Not the
ultimate, but plenty good enough. If you're anxious to get going with your
saw, then just go buy it. It will work. You're not a contractor, nor are
you going to build the volume of work that Karl and Leon do, so you don't
need to worry about steel vs aluminum or stuff like that.

Here's another option. This was intended to be a temporary stand, and it's
still in use many years after I knocked it together. Probably will be for a
long time. It's just an old gas grill stand. It works for me because I'm
all about the portability of tools in my garage. I do use HF roller stands
with it because I have them for my table saw anyway, but as I said, you
could just knock together a couple of fixed stands in 20 minutes.

http://s1259.beta.photobucket.com/us...20Tools?page=1

Mike, nice recycling of a grill stand.
I think you could make it sturdier by adding a set of stretchers
underneath , make it a 5" wide stretcher screwed top and bottom after
drilling holes mount it middle of the front and back.. you can then hold
wood like Swingman had in his. This will stiffen that puppy up nicely.
any ply or particle board can be used for the strechers...

--
Jeff