Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Miter saw Stand

On 3/17/2013 6:23 PM, Bill wrote:
Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand
(Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself?
FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! I did get in
some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...73-c-10164.htm

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer. Another
option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use a roller
stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it looksrisky). It's
not like I'm planning to build a deck or anythinglike that--more like,
"clamp stand" and "plant table".

Bill

That depends, my personal feelings on these type of stands is that they
server the contractor better than a woodworker.
But if you are just using it for home repair then it probably fits the
bill (no pun intended)... But if you plan to gravitate to furniture,
etc.. then the drawbacks I see are repeatabliity (acurately)
Will you actually set it up. I picked up a kitchen cabinet from a
neighbor, built wings and mounted it. I don't have long wings, like that
in your setup. But I can comfortably put an eight foot board on by
adding my roller or ball bearing supports. My wings give me 43 inches
left and right of the blade.

It's good price. BTW you don't need a jointer to make one. use mdf,
mdo, baltic birch, or cab grade ply. if you don't have a TS yet, route
your dados. The most imporant dados are the fence. the support can be
more crude, it just has to keep the fence from deflecting.

See if you can find reviews.. if you are purchasing that. Don't wind up
buying twice.

--
Jeff