Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default Miter saw Stand

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Here's another option. This was intended to be a temporary stand, and
it's still in use many years after I knocked it together. Probably will
be for a long time. It's just an old gas grill stand. It works for me
because I'm all about the portability of tools in my garage. I do use HF
roller stands with it because I have them for my table saw anyway, but as
I said, you could just knock together a couple of fixed stands in 20
minutes.

http://s1259.beta.photobucket.com/us...20Tools?page=1

There ya go! That is some inspired recycling there. And you can always
yank the top off and grill a couple steaks.

I don't use my miter saw that much. I have an old wood box, outside, turned
over with the bottom us. It is an outdoor utility, workbench. I just put
my saw up there and put up a couple roller stands on each end. It ain't
fancy, but it gets the job done. I have made hundreds of cuts with it. And
for working around the house, in my back yard, it is enough.

If I was doing this sort of thing for a living or at other locations, this
obviously would not work. I remember a friend of mine who used to cut lots
of wood and metal on the floor. He just put down a kneeling pad and just
worked off of the floor. I tried that and did not like it. so I made a
platform and he called me a pussy. I ran into him the other day. He is
considerably older now. I asked about his shop.

He now has individual workstations for all the tools. And excellent
lighting. And dust control, Etc., etc. Everything is up in the air now.
And I suspect that some of the aging that took place with him was
accelerated because he was working on the floor. That sort of thing catches
up with you.