Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default So what's the scam here?

Spotted an ad on Craigslist for a power saw that I might be interested in
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3614407632.html
but ad doesn't give any details. It's clearly a DeWalt sliding compound miter saw, but what
size?

So I emailed the seller for more information, and this exchange ensued.

Me: What is the model number on this saw? Also, are you on West 71st or East 71st?
Him: West 71st and DW703 it's a double insulated miter saw type 3 5000 rpm

[Note: photo is not of a DW703 -- I know. I own a DW703. The saw in the photo is clearly a
sliding compound miter saw, but the DW703 is fixed.]

Me: Could I come look at that sometime Wednesday afternoon or evening?
Him: Yea Wednesday around 11 I cold [sic] meet you somewhere

[What part of "afternoon or evening" did he find confusing?]

Me: I won't be available until some time in the afternoon, probably after 1pm. Does any time
after that work for you?
Him: How about around 3?
Me: That would be great. Where do I meet you to look at the saw?
Him: Where could you? Do you have a phone number I can txt?

[Beginning to smell a rat here. Maybe he won't give his address because he's afraid of
being robbed -- but why does he want my phone number?]

Me: Just email, sorry. Pretty much anywhere on the NW side would work for me, I guess.
You said you're on West 71st St, right? Anywhere near Georgetown Road?
Him: Yea, do you wanna meet me by the Kroger on 71st and Georgetown tomorrow around
2:30-3:00

[Odor of rat is becoming more pronounced]

Me: Well, I think I want to look at it some place where I can plug it in and verify that it works
Him: Well I can guarantee it does.

[Rat stench nearly overpowering now]

Me: That's fine -- but I still want to plug it in and see for myself.

[many hours have passed with no response]

So what do you figure is the scam here? Since he proposed meeting in a public place, it's
probably not anything so crude as a strong-arm robbery -- but he obviously doesn't want
me plugging the saw into an outlet. And why does the model number so obviously not
match the photograph? I'm thinking he shows up with a DeWalt box, taped shut, doesn't
want me to open it... and when I do, I'll find a couple of cinder blocks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Could be stolen, could be defective, could be both.....

Why waste your time with this type of seller?

Move on.....nothing to see here.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Spotted an ad on Craigslist for a power saw that I might be
interested in
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3614407632.html

[Note: photo is not of a DW703 -- I know. I own a DW703. The saw
in the photo is clearly a sliding compound miter saw, but the
DW703 is fixed.]

Ask him to e-mail you another picture of the saw.

Then submit the .jpg picture to any one of a number of on-line websites
that will show you the meta-data (if any) contained in the file. Might
tell you the coordinates where the picture was taken.

Would at least confirm the type of saw.

So what do you figure is the scam here?

He stole the saw from a work site, and he's nervous about unloading it
and getting caught.
Posted to rec.woodworking

It's a hot saw. He stole it and now trying to unload it. If he's a woodworker, going to his house wouldn't be a problem.

No one in their right mind would buy the saw if they can't fully check it out in a reasonable atmosphere. His deflecting your efforts to do anything reasonable about the transaction warrants your ignoring him.

If he calls you back, tell him to come to your house with the saw.

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 3/13/13 9:26 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Most grocery stores have a lobby area in the front where they
store/charge the handicap electric go carts. There are usually several
heavy duty outlets along the wall there.

I sell stuff at the Kroger near my house all the time and just plug
stuff in to them. Sold a circular saw there once-- people really jumped
from the noise when the buyer plugged it in and cranked it up!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 9:26*am, Doug Miller
wrote:
[...]

I would not completely discount the robbery idea. They
might know that one are of the parking lots isn't under camera
surveilance. Or they might call you at the last minute and
try to change the meeting place...... It's hard to imagine
anyone would be dumb enough to buy it with it in a box.
I guess that leaves the possibility that it has a bad motor.
But as you point out, it's very suspicious that the guy
has misidentified the model. If he actually has it, he should
know. It's also possible the saw works, but it's hot so
he can't invite you over to try it out and doesn't know a
place where it can be plugged in. All in all, this stinks and
I'd just walk for sure. For example, even if it runs, maybe
it craps out after 10 mins......

An interesting question to ask if you have any more
contact is if the photo is of the actual saw. A long time
ago I saw an ad on Ebay for original alloy wheels for late 70s
Mercedes. The guy had a pic of a nice looking wheel and
had 4 for sale that he described as in "like new" condition.
I asked if they had any dings, curb rash, scrapes, etc. He
said no.

After I had bought them, he then said he couldn't send them
for a couple weeks because they were on a car. I then got
suspicous that the pic was not of one of the wheels. I guess
I should have been tipped off by the fact that he only had a
pic of one, not 4. So, I start asking him more about the
condition and he tells me they are indeed "like new". In his
words: "twenty five years old, like new". Some elbow work
on your part is all that's needed.

So then I did everything I could to get the imbecile to not
ship them. They were covered by Ebay fraud for the purchase
price, but not the shipping. And to ship them from CT to NJ
wasn't going to be cheap. He refused and quickly resorted to
vulgarity. I sent all the emails
and my position to Ebay, they got an arbitrator involved. I
think he did his best to reason with the guy, but it did no good.
It took almost a month, but they finally showed up. They were
all in poor condition, full of dings, scrapes, dirty.... They
were far worse than the ones I was seeking to replace. None of
them was the one in the pic, you could tell for sure because
these all had wheel weights on them. And to ship them, he
just put two of them to a falling apart cardboard box. Then
he threw a couple pages of newspaper in. Not even crumpled
paper, just a few sheets on the top. The boxes had holes,
were in such bad shape, that I'm amazed that UPS accepted
them.

Out of the $180 or so total I paid I wound up getting all but
about $30 which was the shipping cost back after I filed
an actual fraud complaint with Ebay. It's the only time I
was scammed on Ebay and I learned from it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2013 9:45 AM, Home Guy wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Spotted an ad on Craigslist for a power saw that I might be
interested in
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3614407632.html

[Note: photo is not of a DW703 -- I know. I own a DW703. The saw
in the photo is clearly a sliding compound miter saw, but the
DW703 is fixed.]

Ask him to e-mail you another picture of the saw.

Then submit the .jpg picture to any one of a number of on-line websites
that will show you the meta-data (if any) contained in the file. Might
tell you the coordinates where the picture was taken.

Would at least confirm the type of saw.

So what do you figure is the scam here?

He stole the saw from a work site, and he's nervous about unloading it
and getting caught.

Many image processing programs like the free Irfanview can read the meta
data in a JPG. Sounds like using the meta data would be a good idea.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:26:26 AM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

You have pursued this much more than I would have. There are other saws on the market and this guy isn't acting like a reasonable seller. Might have a blackjack in his back pocket. Or worse.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:26:26 AM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
Spotted an ad on Craigslist for a power saw that I might be interested in

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3614407632.html

You have pursued this much more than I would have. There are other saws on
the market and this guy isn't acting like a reasonable seller. Might have
a blackjack in his back pocket. Or worse.

Yup... gotta be careful. It's a good idea to not go alone with relatively
large chunks of cash... It would be reasonable to bring other people and/or
friends Smith and Wesson.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:00:59 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
It's a hot saw. He stole it and now trying to unload it. If he's a woodworker, going to his house wouldn't be a problem. No one in their right mind would buy the saw if they can't fully check it out in a reasonable atmosphere. His deflecting your efforts to do anything reasonable about the transaction warrants your ignoring him. If he calls you back, tell him to come to your house with the saw. Sonny

Also, if he's the original owner, then he should know the details of the saw.

He likely didn't show a proper picture because the guy he stole it from would likely be scanning Craigslist for his saw.

A stretch: Maybe just out of curiosity, call the police and ask if anyone reported a similar saw having been stolen.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:26:54 AM UTC-5, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"RonB" wrote in message

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:26:26 AM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:

Spotted an ad on Craigslist for a power saw that I might be interested in

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3614407632.html

You have pursued this much more than I would have. There are other saws on

the market and this guy isn't acting like a reasonable seller. Might have

a blackjack in his back pocket. Or worse.

Yup... gotta be careful. It's a good idea to not go alone with relatively

large chunks of cash... It would be reasonable to bring other people and/or

friends Smith and Wesson.

OK - Now ya done it. You reminded me of a story from my ancient past.

Years ago I was a day-engineer and night-student. It was in a period in the early 70's and there was a fair amount of racial tension that spilled into the parking lots of Wichita State University.

I worked with a (then) older engineer who was an avid gun enthusiast. He told us one day the bought a "knuckle buster" for protection while he, too, attending night classes on the campus. The buster was a two-shot derringer chambered for .44 magnum.

A few weeks later he used it. He was walking across the dark parking lot one evening and heard a lot of 'commotion' Two guys had a student on the ground and were kicking the crap out of him. Beau yelled at them and one of them turned toward him and said "what the hell are you going to do old man?" He said he reached into his pocket, pulled out the derringer and proceeded to scare the hell out of everyone. He was prepared for the sound because he had shot it in daylight; but he small gun shot a streak of flame about seven feet into the air with the thunderous .44 BOOM. All he could see were the white tennis shoes of the assailants going in one direction and the victim going in the other direction. The sound and flame almost scared him enough to "run off myself!" ;0)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 10:26*am, "John Grossbohlin"

Yup... *gotta be careful. It's a good idea to not go alone with relatively
large chunks of cash... It would be reasonable to bring other people and/or
friends Smith and Wesson.

Or even better, in stead of cowboying up, use some common sense and
let the whole deal go. For me, I can't understand why someone would
want to buy a used saw so badly that they would need to meet a seller
prepared to go Dirty Harry on their ass. Don't think hauling a gun
into a highly suspicious situation is an answer.

Mmmmm...... maybe some common sense might work. Could be too easy to
do that, though....

I can't ever understand why someone gives a situation like this more
than two seconds of thought, or worse, why they will try to make it
work to their advantage. Guess we can keep an eye on the obits to see
how going to an unfamiliar area to meet someone you don't know to buy
something you are unsure about and cannot test to see if it operates
properly from a highly suspicious seller works out. Don't forget to
bring cash!

Robert
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:43:50 -0400, Smarty wrote:

Could be stolen, could be defective, could be both....

DW703 10" (254 mm) Compound Miter Saw. This product has been
discontinued. This saw has a knob instead of the lever -- the photo in
the ad shows.

A DW718 12" (305mm) Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw has the
lever.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/machinery-miter-saws-dw718.aspx

I would walk if the guy cannot be honest.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message

out the derringer and proceeded to scare the hell out of everyone. He was
prepared for the sound because he had shot it in daylight; but he small gun
shot a streak of flame about seven feet into the air with the thunderous
.44 BOOM. All he could see were the white tennis shoes of the assailants
going in one direction and the victim going in the other direction. The
sound and flame almost scared him enough to "run off myself!" ;0)

I am familiar with that phenomena... I have a 3" barreled S&W .44 magnum.
Years ago, while studying an armed guard training facility as part of a
research agenda, I participated as an armed guard trainee. During the night
firing session the school trainer asked me to shoot the .44. This so the
trainees could see what a revolver looked like in the dark compared to their
9 MM and .40 S&W semi-autos. There was stunned silence... eyes wide open and
some mouths hung open. Of course if I'd used the 4" .357 magnum or .38
Special it wouldn't have been so dramatic. ;~)

BTW, some of my other associates, upon seeing the muzzle flash from that gun
in daylight, nick named the gun "The Dragon." The name stuck... It's an
impractical defensive weapon but it does work well on whitetails.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:khq1ml$vnc$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Many image processing programs like the free Irfanview can read the meta
data in a JPG. Sounds like using the meta data would be a good idea.

Windows can do it too. Just right click on the file, select "Properties"
and look at the Details tab.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

[...]

In this case there clearly are red flags that there may be a problem and the
situation should be avoided. That isn't always the case... There has always
been and will continue to be risk associated with "private transactions." As
such, a risk assessment should be a prerequisite to meeting someone to
complete any such transaction.

I've had enough suspect responses to CL ads over the years to be wary...
I've also had contact with literally hundreds of felons over the years and
know that identifying an individual's true intent is not a clear cut
endeavor. Having company in the form of other people and/or defensive arms
is not an issue of wanting to play cowboy or Dirty Harry... it's an issue of
self preservation if things go bad despite your best efforts. Common sense
only gets you so far sometimes.

I know people who will not try to defend themselves... one woman whom
suffered two forcible rapes accepts the fact that she freezes and a gun
would be useless to her. I know other rape victims whom had no means to
protect themselves but wish they did at the time--in addition to the rapes
they suffered beatings and in one case a beating and pregnancy. I knew
people who are now dead as things went bad when they made mistakes or
otherwise were not prepared. One was an elementary school teacher neighbor
in her own home... she investigated a noise in her attached garage and was
shot by an intruder. Another was in the wrong place at the wrong time on the
street and became a kidnap/robbery/murder victim... neither stranger murder
was ever solved.

How self preservation is undertaken is up to the individual... After having
bad experiences some, such as the double rape victim, use the avoidance
method and stay home with the doors locked. Others plan for worst case
scenarios and pray they never need to defend themselves. Others are
relatively oblivious.

In the case of this CL saw ad... I'd pass as it doesn't pass the risk snif
test. In other cases flakey people and/or non-experts sell things and they
are relatively clueless about what they have (estates and spouses are good
for that). Some sellers are equally worried about being robbed and will not
meet at their homes. In these kinds of cases seemingly odd behaviors may be
harmless but you never really know until the transaction is over... In
general you need to make your best judgment, hope for the best, and be
prepared if it goes bad.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 08:59:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Yep, sometimes the best weapon one has is the good sense to avoid
a bad situation. Not that I always take my own advise.

In the years that I raised and sold dogs, I was always amazed at the
amount of people that would send a check upfront with no real
guarantee of anything, other than my word that they would get their
puppy. Only once in ten years did anyone ask for a reference.

I never purchased dogs that way, when I needed new blood lines,
I would show up in person to see the dog and hand over the cash,
sometimes as far away as Indiana.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2013 8:26 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Spotted an ad on Craigslist for a power saw that I might be interested in
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3614407632.html
but ad doesn't give any details. It's clearly a DeWalt sliding compound miter saw, but what

Please don't start anything while I'm in Indianapolis now ... I'll be
there from Friday AM until Sunday AM and don't want to have to duck.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2013 9:26 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Me: Just email, sorry. Pretty much anywhere on the NW side would work for me, I guess.
You said you're on West 71st St, right? Anywhere near Georgetown Road?
Him: Yea, do you wanna meet me by the Kroger on 71st and Georgetown tomorrow around
2:30-3:00

We lived north of there, near 86th and Michigan Road. The fact that he
wanted to meet in that area would be more than enough to drop that saw.
In my opinion that area has been going down hill for some time, and
for us is definitely a pass through area where you do not stop.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2013 1:04 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote in news:khq1ml$vnc$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Many image processing programs like the free Irfanview can read the meta
data in a JPG. Sounds like using the meta data would be a good idea.

Windows can do it too. Just right click on the file, select "Properties"
and look at the Details tab.

Puckdropper

That must be something that was added after Windows XP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 3/13/2013 8:26 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Spotted an ad on Craigslist for a power saw that I might be
interested in
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3614407632.html
but ad doesn't give any details. It's clearly a DeWalt sliding
compound miter saw, but what

Please don't start anything while I'm in Indianapolis now ... I'll be
there from Friday AM until Sunday AM and don't want to have to duck.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the occasion? The "big race" is
not untilMay.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 9:26*am, Doug Miller
wrote:
So what do you figure is the scam here?

What difference could that make? I don't even bother with ads without
phone numbers anymore. Actually, I don't even bother much with
Craigslist anymore.

Cincinnati is flake/scammer/spammer/dealers posing as owners city, and
there's no way Craigslist could possibly police all the nitwits unless
they start charging.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

On 3/13/2013 8:26 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Spotted an ad on Craigslist for a power saw that I might be interested in
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3614407632.html
but ad doesn't give any details. It's clearly a DeWalt sliding compound miter saw, but what

Please don't start anything while I'm in Indianapolis now ... I'll be
there from Friday AM until Sunday AM and don't want to have to duck.

Karl, if you have time to drop in and chat a bit, ping me offline: doug at milmac dot com.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 03/13/2013 06:26 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Spotted an ad on Craigslist for a power saw that I might be interested in
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3614407632.html
but ad doesn't give any details. It's camarok --append %U --playlearly a DeWalt sliding compound miter saw, but what
size?

So I emailed the seller for more information, and this exchange ensued.

[snip]

Craigslist if full of idiots who have no concept of basic human
interaction and protocol. In a situation like the one you presented, I
just write it off as an idiot, and cease wasting my time.

Are they idiots or scammers? I don't know, and I don't care, it just
isn't worth my time to find out.

As an aside, I recently asked a few laptop sellers on craigslist some
questions. A lot of them don't include the model number, and when you
ask them for this information, it does like this:

Me: What model of laptop is this?
Seller: It is a Dell Latitude

This is with a laptop that is already described as being a Dell
Latitude, and it goes on and on like this.

The bottom line is that unless it is an item worth dealing with an idiot
over, cut your losses and move on; life is too short.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 03/13/2013 12:12 PM, gpsman wrote:
On Mar 13, 9:26 am, Doug Miller
wrote:
So what do you figure is the scam here?

What difference could that make? I don't even bother with ads without
phone numbers anymore.

That's funny, because I don't give my phone number out to anyone on
craigslist, nor do I call anyone. If a person is unable to compose a
proper message to communicate with me, they just aren't worth my time.

Even worse are the texting idiots, who are unable to compose any
response other than "TEXT ME DUDE 541-555-1234". Those idiots don't
even deserve a response.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:
So what do you figure is the scam here?

What difference could that make? I don't even bother with ads without
phone numbers anymore.

That's funny, because I don't give my phone number out to anyone on
craigslist, nor do I call anyone. If a person is unable to compose a
proper message to communicate with me, they just aren't worth my time.

Even worse are the texting idiots, who are unable to compose any
response other than "TEXT ME DUDE 541-555-1234". Those idiots don't
even deserve a response.

Jon

I have a throw-away prepay cell phone that I activated on the PagePlus
Cellular MVNO network for craigslist and similar contact. I bought the
phone for $15 on Ebay and PagePlus's $10 Standard Plan offers 100
minutes good for 120 days. You need to refill before the minutes expire
and unused ones roll over to the next 120 day period. For $2.50 a month,
you don't have to give out your real numbers.

I make cell phone number trading mandatory at the point a meet-up time
and meeting is established. That way, if he's late, you can call him--
or he can call you if he's running late.

--
The second amendment wasn't written so we could go hunting. It was
written so we could shoot at the government if it was ever taken over by
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2013 1:39 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 3/13/2013 1:04 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote in news:khq1ml$vnc$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Many image processing programs like the free Irfanview can read the meta
data in a JPG. Sounds like using the meta data would be a good idea.

Windows can do it too. Just right click on the file, select "Properties"
and look at the Details tab.

Puckdropper

That must be something that was added after Windows XP

For XP: Properties/Summary/Advanced

But cameras don't normally have GPS.
And cell phones may have it disabled.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 03/13/2013 02:19 PM, Richard wrote:
On 3/13/2013 1:39 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 3/13/2013 1:04 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote in news:khq1ml$vnc$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Many image processing programs like the free Irfanview can read the
meta
data in a JPG. Sounds like using the meta data would be a good idea.

Windows can do it too. Just right click on the file, select "Properties"
and look at the Details tab.

Puckdropper

That must be something that was added after Windows XP

For XP: Properties/Summary/Advanced

But cameras don't normally have GPS.
And cell phones may have it disabled.

Firefox has a number of EXIF viewers for images encountered in the browser.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

If I was engaged in a business that relied on using Craigslist I would
probably do something like this, but I am not. So for me, filtering out
the illiterate and/or impatient individuals from my interactions keeps
my Craigslist experience a positive one.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2013 5:19 PM, Richard wrote:
On 3/13/2013 1:39 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 3/13/2013 1:04 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote in news:khq1ml$vnc$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Many image processing programs like the free Irfanview can read the
meta
data in a JPG. Sounds like using the meta data would be a good idea.

Windows can do it too. Just right click on the file, select "Properties"
and look at the Details tab.

Puckdropper

That must be something that was added after Windows XP

For XP: Properties/Summary/Advanced

But cameras don't normally have GPS.
And cell phones may have it disabled.

That only provides part of the EXIF information in the jpg image

Posted to rec.woodworking

If he calls you back, tell him to come to your house with the saw.
Sonny

... sorry - this is the very last thing I would suggest.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Could be stolen, could be defective, could be both.....
Why waste your time with this type of seller?
Move on.....nothing to see here.

.. my thoughts exactly.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

I am familiar with that phenomena... I have a 3" barreled S&W .44
magnum. Years ago, while studying an armed guard training facility
as part of a research agenda, I participated as an armed guard
trainee. During the night firing session the school trainer asked me
to shoot the .44. This so the trainees could see what a revolver
looked like in the dark compared to their 9 MM and .40 S&W
semi-autos. There was stunned silence... eyes wide open and some
mouths hung open. Of course if I'd used the 4" .357 magnum or .38
Special it wouldn't have been so dramatic. ;~)

BTW, some of my other associates, upon seeing the muzzle flash from
that gun in daylight, nick named the gun "The Dragon." The name
stuck... It's an impractical defensive weapon but it does work well
on whitetails.

As a sailor, firearms outside the USA are about as useless
as a set of tits on a boar hog.

That said, all is not lost if you must protect yourself from advancing
pirates,
since any offshore boat will be equipped with signal flares.

Usually a plastic flare pistol, firing either 12 ga or 25 mm phosphor
shells will be included.

A phosphor shell entering the body as a 25 mm hole ends up burning
it's way thru the body exiting thru a much larger hole.

Trust me, it is the last resort.

Better to stay out of pirate waters and solve any possible problems
thru negotiation.

As far as C/L is concerned, I treat it like it was the plague.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

As a sailor, firearms outside the USA are about as useless
as a set of tits on a boar hog.

That said, all is not lost if you must protect yourself from advancing
pirates,
since any offshore boat will be equipped with signal flares.

Usually a plastic flare pistol, firing either 12 ga or 25 mm phosphor
shells will be included.

A phosphor shell entering the body as a 25 mm hole ends up burning
it's way thru the body exiting thru a much larger hole.

Sounds pretty effective.... and probably accurate enough at typical self
defense ranges.

Moral is you do what you've got to do... doesn't mean you have to like it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Sounds pretty effective.... and probably accurate enough at typical
self
defense ranges.

Moral is you do what you've got to do... doesn't mean you have to
like it.
And there is always a chance you will burn up the boat.

Better to not go looking for trouble, IMHO.

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2013 4:15 PM, Jason Bourne wrote:

I have a throw-away prepay cell phone that I activated on the PagePlus
Cellular MVNO network for craigslist and similar contact. I bought the
phone for $15 on Ebay and PagePlus's $10 Standard Plan offers 100
minutes good for 120 days. You need to refill before the minutes expire
and unused ones roll over to the next 120 day period. For $2.50 a month,
you don't have to give out your real numbers.

I make cell phone number trading mandatory at the point a meet-up time
and meeting is established. That way, if he's late, you can call him--
or he can call you if he's running late.

Look into Google Voice. Set up a phone number in ANY area code you wish
(including your owng) and it will act as a filter. Phone messages are
recorded, transcribed and shipped to you anonymously. You can also
listen in on the call being left and pick up if you wish.

I use it almost exclusively for Craigslist dealing. It's free.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Sounds pretty effective.... and probably accurate enough at typical
self
defense ranges.

Moral is you do what you've got to do... doesn't mean you have to
like it.
And there is always a chance you will burn up the boat.

Better to not go looking for trouble, IMHO.

Lew

Would not be my first choice of defense against Ma Duce...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I'm too deaf to use a cell phone away from the house...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Look into Google Voice. Set up a phone number in ANY area code you wish
(including your owng) and it will act as a filter. Phone messages are
recorded, transcribed and shipped to you anonymously. You can also
listen in on the call being left and pick up if you wish.

I use it almost exclusively for Craigslist dealing. It's free.

Been using a Google Voice phone number for online use for a number of
years. Very handy.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Scam? Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 58 December 11th 10 05:07 PM
MAKE THOUSANDS FAST!!! NOT A SCAM, I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A SCAM Rico Home Ownership 0 September 3rd 10 12:36 AM
Scam? The Medway Handyman UK diy 34 May 2nd 06 01:14 AM
What a Scam! Chris F. Electronics Repair 24 June 12th 05 06:03 AM
New scam? Gunner Metalworking 17 September 2nd 04 04:51 AM