Gunner

Default New scam?

From an email today...an old scam with a new face?

Date: 24 Aug 2004 13:16:02 -0000
Subject: Notification of BB&T Internet Banking Unauthorized Account
Access

Dear BB&T customer,

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your BB&T Internet
Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party.
Protecting the security of your account and of the BB&T network is our
primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have
temporarily limited access to sensitive account features.

To restore your account access, please take the following steps to
ensure that your account has not been compromised:

1. Login to your BB&T Internet Banking account. In case you are not
enrolled for Internet Banking, you will have to use your Social
Security Number as both your Personal ID and Password and fill in all
the required information, including your name and your account number.

2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized
withdrawals or deposits, and check your account profile to make sure
not changes have been made. If any unauthorized activity has taken
place on your account, report this to BB&T staff immediately.

To get started, please click the link below:

https://online.bbandt.com/online/ser...loginbbt1.html

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your
assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire BB&T
system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Ian Stirling

In rec.crafts.metalworking Gunner wrote:
From an email today...an old scam with a new face?

Yeah, very new.
I've only had several thousand of these to date...
Tom Gardner

Half the people in the world wake up every day thinking of how to cheat the
other half. (The ratios might be reversed if you think I'm cynical)

--

"Gunner" wrote in message
From an email today...an old scam with a new face?

The Seventh Sign

Gunner wrote:

From an email today...an old scam with a new face?

Date: 24 Aug 2004 13:16:02 -0000
[...]

Yes new scam
it is trying to get your Social security number to open credit cards in
your name.

Message ID and From do not match is the first clue it is a spamming dimwit

--
TSS
~~~~

USA 2004 - Give me your Digital passport and take off your clothes so we
can scan you for weapons and see if you have recieved money or
contributed money to terrorist organizations! (While undertrained Armed
security guards watch you closely.)

Which should you fear more the present or the past?
~~~~
Paul K. Dickman

About once a month I get a few of these,purporting to be from various banks.
So far, they have all been banks in which I have no accounts.

The first I got, claimed to be from BankAmerica.
The fact that they misspelled "Customer Service" in their email address, was
a dead give away.

Paul K. Dickman

Ian Stirling wrote in message
In rec.crafts.metalworking Gunner wrote:
From an email today...an old scam with a new face?

Yeah, very new.
I've only had several thousand of these to date...

paul

"The Seventh Sign" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

From an email today...an old scam with a new face?

Date: 24 Aug 2004 13:16:02 -0000
[...]

On the BB&T home page
"Some of our clients have been receiving e-mail messages seeming to be from
BB&T that request confidential personal information. These e-mail messages
are disguised to appear like a BB&T message, but do not come from BB&T. "
etc. . . .

http://www.bbandt.com/fraud.html

--
Regards,

Paul Sevin
Ovation Engineering, Inc.
productivity solutions for CNC machinery
http://www.ovationengineering.com
fix the email "_" to reply directly

Paul K. Dickman

granpaw wrote in message ...

the thing that almost threw me was the link is to a secure site (https).

Yes, I have gotten some pretty impressive ones.
But so far, if I put the cursor over the link, the display at the bottom of
the screen shows that the link does not direct me to the site written in the
text of the email, but to some other site.

Personally, I won't give out that sort of info to an email link.
If appears legit, I will manually go to the site and see what's up.

Paul K. Dickman

Bill

Gunner wrote in message . ..
From an email today...an old scam with a new face?

Date: 24 Aug 2004 13:16:02 -0000
Access

Dear BB&T customer,
https://online.bbandt.com/online/ser...loginbbt1.html

Complain to: and the FTC.
Ian Stirling

In rec.crafts.metalworking granpaw wrote:
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in
:

About once a month I get a few of these,purporting to be from various
banks. So far, they have all been banks in which I have no accounts.

The first I got, claimed to be from BankAmerica.
The fact that they misspelled "Customer Service" in their email
address, was a dead give away.

Paul K. Dickman

Ian Stirling wrote in message
In rec.crafts.metalworking Gunner wrote:
From an email today...an old scam with a new face?

Yeah, very new.
I've only had several thousand of these to date...

the thing that almost threw me was the link is to a secure site (https).

I'm assuming that the message came as HTML, not just the plain text
we saw.
In which case, the https://... is probably just the text of a link
to another site.
Gunner

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:27:11 GMT, "Maagman"
wrote:

Hello Gunner,

I think this email was legit. The thing to look for if you suspect phishing,
is the actual link target, and the return path of the email. In your case,
the target began with https//blablabla... the important thing to look for is
the https, as opposed to http. The "s" at the end denotes a secure
connection, your first clue that it is "official". Secondly the link target
points to bbant.com, instead of something like

http://www.xsoccer.as.ro/subinfo/Per...ication_E.html

the link target on a fake email I got phishing for my paypal login. Below is
the header from that email, notice at the bottom how they faked out my isp's
mail server into thinking it was from a "good" source.

Thats what I was wondering about. I read the source code carefuly, but
it still made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Hence the New Face question. They are getting more devious.

And Ive never done any business with Bbant.com

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith

JonquilJan

Gunner wrote in message
From an email today...an old scam with a new face?

I received something similar from a credit card company a few weeks ago.
Called the company and they strongly said no - they did not send it. And
then gave me an email address to send the message to for their research and
action.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Maagman

wrote:

[...]

I see your point now, I was assuming you were a customer. Wow, I never pay
attention to email from firms I don't do business with and never imagined
they had gotten that good.

Maagman

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:53:55 GMT in
misc.survivalism :

Dear BB&T customer,

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your BB&T Internet
Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party.
Protecting the security of your account and of the BB&T network is our
primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have
temporarily limited access to sensitive account features.

I've been informed my paypal account, my citibank account, and my ebay
account all have irregularities. I usually advise them to give them some
prunes, that will fix them, seeing as how I don't have any of those three.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"Do not argue with the forces of nature, for you are small,
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Tom Gardner"
wrote back on Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:36:54 GMT in
misc.survivalism :
Half the people in the world wake up every day thinking of how to cheat the
other half. (The ratios might be reversed if you think I'm cynical)

Yeah, but the paranoid half wake up thinking the other half is going to
try and cheat them.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"Do not argue with the forces of nature, for you are small,
insignificant, and biodegradable."

Scott Moore

Gunner wrote:

2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized
withdrawals or deposits, and check your account profile to make sure
not changes have been made. If any unauthorized activity has taken
place on your account, report this to BB&T staff immediately.

To get started, please click the link below:

https://online.bbandt.com/online/ser...loginbbt1.html

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your
assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire BB&T
system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Its phishing again. They are doing it because it makes real money,
the Wall St. Journal says millions.

Whats amazing to me is this is the easiest fraud to stop. They have to use
USA based web sites to do it, which means that they have to have physical
servers here somewhere. Raiding and shutting down phisher hosts would
put a stop to this nonsense quickly.

--
Samiam is Scott A. Moore

Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185 Pascal
compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas

Being right is more powerfull than large corporations or governments.
The right argument may not be pervasive, but the facts eventually are.
John Chase

Gunner wrote:

From an email today...an old scam with a new face?

[ snip ]

Dear BB&T customer,

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your BB&T Internet
Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party.

[ snip ]

Been getting the exact same verbiage recently about "my paypal account". I
don't have a paypal account....

-jc-