Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
mungedaddress mungedaddress is offline

Default So what's the scam here?

stolen?

On 3/13/2013 9:26 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Spotted an ad on Craigslist for a power saw that I might be interested in
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3614407632.html
but ad doesn't give any details. It's clearly a DeWalt sliding compound miter saw, but what
size?

So I emailed the seller for more information, and this exchange ensued.

Me: What is the model number on this saw? Also, are you on West 71st or East 71st?
Him: West 71st and DW703 it's a double insulated miter saw type 3 5000 rpm

[Note: photo is not of a DW703 -- I know. I own a DW703. The saw in the photo is clearly a
sliding compound miter saw, but the DW703 is fixed.]

Me: Could I come look at that sometime Wednesday afternoon or evening?
Him: Yea Wednesday around 11 I cold [sic] meet you somewhere

[What part of "afternoon or evening" did he find confusing?]

Me: I won't be available until some time in the afternoon, probably after 1pm. Does any time
after that work for you?
Him: How about around 3?
Me: That would be great. Where do I meet you to look at the saw?
Him: Where could you? Do you have a phone number I can txt?

[Beginning to smell a rat here. Maybe he won't give his address because he's afraid of
being robbed -- but why does he want my phone number?]

Me: Just email, sorry. Pretty much anywhere on the NW side would work for me, I guess.
You said you're on West 71st St, right? Anywhere near Georgetown Road?
Him: Yea, do you wanna meet me by the Kroger on 71st and Georgetown tomorrow around
2:30-3:00

[Odor of rat is becoming more pronounced]

Me: Well, I think I want to look at it some place where I can plug it in and verify that it works
Him: Well I can guarantee it does.

[Rat stench nearly overpowering now]

Me: That's fine -- but I still want to plug it in and see for myself.

[many hours have passed with no response]

So what do you figure is the scam here? Since he proposed meeting in a public place, it's
probably not anything so crude as a strong-arm robbery -- but he obviously doesn't want
me plugging the saw into an outlet. And why does the model number so obviously not
match the photograph? I'm thinking he shows up with a DeWalt box, taped shut, doesn't
want me to open it... and when I do, I'll find a couple of cinder blocks.