Posted to rec.woodworking

Default So what's the scam here?

"RonB" wrote in message

out the derringer and proceeded to scare the hell out of everyone.
He was prepared for the sound because he had shot it in daylight; but
he small gun shot a streak of flame about seven feet into the air
with the thunderous .44 BOOM. All he could see were the white tennis
shoes of the assailants going in one direction and the victim going
in the other direction. The sound and flame almost scared him enough
to "run off myself!"

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

I am familiar with that phenomena... I have a 3" barreled S&W .44
magnum. Years ago, while studying an armed guard training facility
as part of a research agenda, I participated as an armed guard
trainee. During the night firing session the school trainer asked me
to shoot the .44. This so the trainees could see what a revolver
looked like in the dark compared to their 9 MM and .40 S&W
semi-autos. There was stunned silence... eyes wide open and some
mouths hung open. Of course if I'd used the 4" .357 magnum or .38
Special it wouldn't have been so dramatic. ;~)

BTW, some of my other associates, upon seeing the muzzle flash from
that gun in daylight, nick named the gun "The Dragon." The name
stuck... It's an impractical defensive weapon but it does work well
on whitetails.

As a sailor, firearms outside the USA are about as useless
as a set of tits on a boar hog.

That said, all is not lost if you must protect yourself from advancing
pirates,
since any offshore boat will be equipped with signal flares.

Usually a plastic flare pistol, firing either 12 ga or 25 mm phosphor
shells will be included.

A phosphor shell entering the body as a 25 mm hole ends up burning
it's way thru the body exiting thru a much larger hole.

Trust me, it is the last resort.

Better to stay out of pirate waters and solve any possible problems
thru negotiation.

As far as C/L is concerned, I treat it like it was the plague.

Lew