Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF SCMS update

I went to the HF sidewalk sale this morning. I got there about 10
minutes after they opened. There were 2 of the 12" double bevel SCMS
sitting there. Both were already sold and waiting to be loaded. But I
got a raincheck.

I commented that HF didn't usually issue rainchecks for sidewalk sales.
I was informed in an exasperated tone (not directed at me) that they did
when @!#$ corporate only sent them 2 of a hot seller!

BTW, the sale ad shows list price as $199. The web site shows it as
$299. When I got my raincheck, the computer showed $299. Somebody
goofed :-).

The raincheck is good for 30 days. I'll see if they get any in in that
time.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 17:11:24 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

I went to the HF sidewalk sale this morning. I got there about 10
minutes after they opened. There were 2 of the 12" double bevel SCMS
sitting there. Both were already sold and waiting to be loaded. But I
got a raincheck.

I commented that HF didn't usually issue rainchecks for sidewalk sales.
I was informed in an exasperated tone (not directed at me) that they did
when @!#$ corporate only sent them 2 of a hot seller!

BTW, the sale ad shows list price as $199. The web site shows it as
$299. When I got my raincheck, the computer showed $299. Somebody
goofed :-).

$120 + 20% off coupon = $96 GOOD DEAL!

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...LS-online.html

I bought the discontinued single-bevel model 98194 at a tent sale last year for
the same price. I now wish I had waited for the new model. The laser on mine is
pretty much useless and the saw flexes a bit when lowered and pulled fully
towards me, and I twist the handle. I examined a new 69684 in HF and it feels
quite a bit beefier. Mine is direct drive, the newer model is belt driven with
the motor up higher and more out of the way.

The raincheck is good for 30 days. I'll see if they get any in in that
time.

If HF follows past practices with the 69684 as they did with the 98194, the saw
will be on sale for that same price several more times this year.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 19:47:25 +0000, Spalted Walt wrote:

$120 + 20% off coupon = $96 GOOD DEAL!

Don't I wish! But the 20% off doesn't work with sidewalk sales. Says so
on the 20% coupon.

However, should the sidewalk sale not work for other folks, the 20% off
coupon and a "regular sale"(??) price of $170 works out to $136. Only
$16 more than the sidewalk sale.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I went to the HF sidewalk sale this morning. I got there about 10
minutes after they opened. There were 2 of the 12" double bevel SCMS
sitting there. Both were already sold and waiting to be loaded. But I
got a raincheck.

I commented that HF didn't usually issue rainchecks for sidewalk sales.
I was informed in an exasperated tone (not directed at me) that they did
when @!#$ corporate only sent them 2 of a hot seller!

BTW, the sale ad shows list price as $199. The web site shows it as
$299. When I got my raincheck, the computer showed $299. Somebody
goofed :-).

The raincheck is good for 30 days. I'll see if they get any in in that
time.

I see the web coupon saying $119 on sale, regularly $299. (yeah,
right.) Print out the page and take it in any time. They should honor
it. My local HF outlet does, anyway.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
I went to the HF sidewalk sale this morning. I got there about 10
minutes after they opened. There were 2 of the 12" double bevel SCMS
sitting there. Both were already sold and waiting to be loaded. But
I got a raincheck.

I commented that HF didn't usually issue rainchecks for sidewalk
sales. I was informed in an exasperated tone (not directed at me)
that they did when @!#$ corporate only sent them 2 of a hot seller!

BTW, the sale ad shows list price as $199. The web site shows it as
$299. When I got my raincheck, the computer showed $299. Somebody
goofed :-).

The raincheck is good for 30 days. I'll see if they get any in in
that time.

Heh! I got mine on Friday afternoon. My local store still had a mound of
them, but one of the clerks said they were going fast.

I got the saw home and set up. Impressed I was; the sucker is built like a
tank!

I've got some more observations over in alt.home.repair, but there's one
additional:

* If sawing off someone's head, be sure they don't look up - they may be
blinded by the laser.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2013 10:00 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Ok, you've got my interest right now. I dropped my beloved Makita LS1013
down a flight of basement stairs... need I say more.. over a year ago.

I need a Slider, was planning on another 10" had looked at the bosch but
too many have said it doesn't stay square when pushing it back in.

So, I was looking at the Festool.. I really can't afford this for my
hobby side. would rather take that money to the Sawstop.

So how good is this for $200????? How accurate?I really need something
to rough cut, but being accurate for the final of a big board would be
nice, rather than jury rigging my TS.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 12:47*pm, woodchucker wrote:

So how good is this for $200????? How accurate?I really need something
to rough cut, but being accurate for the final of a big board would be
nice, rather than jury rigging my TS.

I don't have one personally, but one of my amigos does. He is about
75, and has been doing wood work of all types for about 60 years, so I
trust his opinion.

He bought one and loves it. He actually purchased one before, but
took it back. Running that head back and forth on the rails was like
running an old truck down a rutted road. HF gladly took it back.

Like most of us, he doesn't have the need or desire to spend $ 1500 on
this type of tool. And if there is a 12" model of the Kapex, I
couldn't find it. So less capacity for 10X the price does give one
pause...

He checked it with his Starrett engineer's square at 12" out (square
is 12") and told me that it was shockingly no more than a 64th out of
square at 12". Although he was ready to adjust it into perfection
when he checked it, finding that small of a discrepancy means nothing
so he left it alone. Sitting the tools on an uneven surface or
variations in stock dimension and stability can do that much by
themselves.

The slide action isn't Festool or Bosch, but it should work fine. I
have read on another ww site of guys that buy this saw and break it
down and clean it thoroughly then reassemble. They swear the action
is as smooth as silk after that.

I think if I actually needed one I would buy it. They are on sale
here (probably a regional thing) for even less than you guys are
seeing them.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2013 2:05 PM, wrote:
[...]

Good info.
Thanks, I'll have to check one out. Really miss my old one.. the table
on that thing was huge. And it wasn't heavy for the size.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 09:00:43 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Would that only apply if you were doing a lobotomy right?

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Good info.
Thanks, I'll have to check one out. Really miss my old one.. the table
on that thing was huge. And it wasn't heavy for the size.

This one IS heavy (52 pounds). Like I said earlier, it's built like a tank.

Spent part of last night reading the manual. The saw has adjustments for
fine-tuning, then locking into place, the saw's travel to assure that the
travel is square to the fence.

Another thing I learned, new to me, was that a sliding arm miter saw with a
depth lock - which this saw has - can do dado cuts!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF SCMS update - Another 'Aye' vote

On 3/10/2013 6:02 AM, HeyBub wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

Good info.
Thanks, I'll have to check one out. Really miss my old one.. the table
on that thing was huge. And it wasn't heavy for the size.

This one IS heavy (52 pounds). Like I said earlier, it's built like a tank.

Spent part of last night reading the manual. The saw has adjustments for
fine-tuning, then locking into place, the saw's travel to assure that the
travel is square to the fence.

Another thing I learned, new to me, was that a sliding arm miter saw with a
depth lock - which this saw has - can do dado cuts!

I bought the saw Friday uncrated it yesterday. I have to agree with the
build... Seems very solid and the finish a cut above the typical for HF.

Haven't taken the time to tweak it yet, but a test cut (left bevel @ 15
degrees) on a 2x4 with a digital angle gauge registered at 15.1 degrees.

A quick cross cut with the blade set at its 90 degree indent was off the
mark by about 1/64 - certainly good enough for framing, maybe not so
much for a face frame or picture frame.g

I have no doubt that with the rigidity of this tool that it'll readily
accept tweaks to "dead nuts on."

Funny, but when I opened the box one of the first things I saw was a
little baggy containing a set of brushes. I immediately wondered if I
had to complete the assembly of the motor... Nope, they packed in an
extra set of brushes for this beast.

I'm not sure that I'd want to play around with a dado set on this one.
Actually, the instructions specifically state that you should NOT adjust
the depth of cut any lower and the adjustable depth lock is designed to
raise the blade up for kerf cuts. Anybody got a 12" dado set laying
around to give this a try?g

Only thing that still has me puzzled is the inclusion of two molded
plastic "hooks" in the parts bag. Haven't seen mention made of them in
the owner's manual nor are they shown (that I can find) on the parts
breakout. Any owners of this saw have any ideas?

For $120 this IS a helluva buy. On the recommendation of a fellow
traveler who does buy a fair amount of HF power tools, I splurged on the
24 month extended warranty ($19.99). Working with this puppy and
knowing that if I have a problem with it I can just bring it in and swap
it out for a new (or improved) one is worth the money.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

I'm not sure that I'd want to play around with a dado set on this one.
Actually, the instructions specifically state that you should NOT adjust
the depth of cut any lower and the adjustable depth lock is designed to
raise the blade up for kerf cuts. Anybody got a 12" dado set laying
around to give this a try?g

I doubt it has long-enough arbor shaft for much of a dado set but you
make such a cut w/ these by using shim stock under the workpiece instead
of lowering the depth of cut below nominal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2013 9:23 AM, dpb wrote:

I'm not sure that I'd want to play around with a dado set on this one.
Actually, the instructions specifically state that you should NOT adjust
the depth of cut any lower and the adjustable depth lock is designed to
raise the blade up for kerf cuts. Anybody got a 12" dado set laying
around to give this a try?g

I doubt it has long-enough arbor shaft for much of a dado set but you
make such a cut w/ these by using shim stock under the workpiece instead
of lowering the depth of cut below nominal.

Correct, there's no way you'd mount a dado set on this thing. Might get
away with ganging a pair of 12" blades but...

Here' what HF owner's manual says of this 'feature'

Page 12

Using the Depth Stop - If a kerfing or rabbet cut which does not cut
through the workpiece is desired, use the Depth
Stop Bolt to control the depth of the cut.

WARNING!

Only adjust the front Bolt. The rear Bolt is used to prevent the Blade
from cutting the table during normal cutting. Do not adjust the rear
Depth Bolt.

1. Unlock the Head Lock-down, see page 9.

2. Raise the saw head assembly.

3. Push the Depth Stop to the left to use the Depth Stop Bolt setting.

4. Pull down on the saw head to check the current setting.

5. To change the setting, first loosen the knurled Depth Stop Nut on the
Depth Stop Bolt. Turn the Depth Stop Bolt clockwise to decrease
depth and counterclockwise to increase depth. Tighten the Depth Stop Nut
after adjustment.

6. If needed, push the Depth Stop to the right to temporarily disable it

Regardless of what we may chose to do by jerry rigging it, it's a damn
nice saw for the money.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2013 5:32 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/9/2013 2:05 PM, wrote:
[...]

After my sons race which was near a HF I took a look. Yes it looks well
made, but the fence to the back of the unit is 25 inches. I have less
than that on my last bench that I am reserving for a CMS.
So I'll pass. The cashier said it will go down to 87 if I keep an eye on
it. I doubt it, but at $87 it might be worth keeping it in the garage
for rough work.. just don't know where I can keep it... it's a real
estate hog... Maybe the hitachi or rigid with forward facing bars.
Maybe I'll hit the lottery and buy the sawstop and the Kapex...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

[...]

That's easy to adjust, just loosen the fence and square it up. They alll
do that.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2013 10:23 AM, dpb wrote:

I'm not sure that I'd want to play around with a dado set on this one.
Actually, the instructions specifically state that you should NOT adjust
the depth of cut any lower and the adjustable depth lock is designed to
raise the blade up for kerf cuts. Anybody got a 12" dado set laying
around to give this a try?g

I doubt it has long-enough arbor shaft for much of a dado set but you
make such a cut w/ these by using shim stock under the workpiece instead
of lowering the depth of cut below nominal.

Generally you don't use a dado set, but what you do is keep kerf
cutting. then chisel out.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/10/2013 2:41 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/10/2013 10:23 AM, dpb wrote:

I'm not sure that I'd want to play around with a dado set on this one.

I doubt it has long-enough arbor shaft for much of a dado set but you
make such a cut w/ these by using shim stock under the workpiece instead
of lowering the depth of cut below nominal.

Generally you don't use a dado set, but what you do is keep kerf
cutting. then chisel out.

Well, yes, that's the corollary of the theorem...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 00:18:17 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

$120 + 20% off coupon = $96 GOOD DEAL!

Don't I wish! But the 20% off doesn't work with sidewalk sales. Says so
on the 20% coupon.

Woops! You're right.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:41:57 AM UTC-6, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
Only thing that still has me puzzled is the inclusion of two molded plastic "hooks" in the parts bag. Haven't seen mention made of them in the owner's manual nor are they shown (that I can find) on the parts breakout.

I don't have the saw, but my industrial sewing machines have plastic hooks to hold the power cords along safe positions toward the outlet.

Maybe they are for postioning the cord along your bench/work area toward the electrical outlet and/or guided away from the saw's operations, somehow.... Keeping the cord out of the way of your work or away from the saw's workings, in some fashion.

Check the manual concerning the power cord and its goings on, see if there's something there, about them.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2013 4:58 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:41:57 AM UTC-6, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
Only thing that still has me puzzled is the inclusion of two molded plastic "hooks" in the parts bag. Haven't seen mention made of them in the owner's manual nor are they shown (that I can find) on the parts breakout.

I don't have the saw, but my industrial sewing machines have plastic hooks to hold the power cords along safe positions toward the outlet.

Maybe they are for postioning the cord along your bench/work area toward the electrical outlet and/or guided away from the saw's operations, somehow.... Keeping the cord out of the way of your work or away from the saw's workings, in some fashion.

Check the manual concerning the power cord and its goings on, see if there's something there, about them.

That was my thought too, but the cord for this model is not overly long
- certainly not as long as the one on my old Delta Sidekick.

Nope... didn't find any reference to it in the owners manual. But then,
there was no mention of the extra pair of brushes for the saw either -
nice, albeit unexpected, touch

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2013 8:15 PM, mungedaddress wrote:
Did it include a cloth bag? My HFT joiner had two hook like items and
it had something to do with the vacuum bag.

Nope. Double checked the parts diagram and list. Didn't see anything
in the illustrations and checking the the parts callout, didn't find
anything listed in "Qty 2" that even remotely resembled the "mystery parts."

Check on the set up section and cautionary regarding the power cord and
nothing mentioned there.

They probably had a couple of parts left over from the last batch of
motorcycle stands they packaged and decided it was easier to gift them
than to store themg

Still seems a damn nice saw for money. Time will tell.

It'd rather find these "accessories" than a couple of spare allen set
screws, etc.g