Default SCMS or CMS ??????????????

Hi,
I'm not sure to invest in a SCMS or just a CMS what would be the pro's
and cons.
Mikey
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
I'm not sure to invest in a SCMS or just a CMS what would be the pro's
and cons.
Mikey

Sliders cots more but can cross cut wider. A 10" SCMS can cut about 11
1/2".

CMS are less likely to go out of adjustment since there are fewer parts to
move..

If you do a lot of framing or deck building with 2 x 12's, get the slider.

Prometheus

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:54:33 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
I'm not sure to invest in a SCMS or just a CMS what would be the pro's
and cons.
Mikey

Sliders cots more but can cross cut wider. A 10" SCMS can cut about 11
1/2".

CMS are less likely to go out of adjustment since there are fewer parts to
move..

If you do a lot of framing or deck building with 2 x 12's, get the slider.

Conversely, if you deal mainly with narrower boards (most of my
hardwood comes in 6" widths) I've found my CMS to be quite accurate
and easy to deal with. I just use my table saw for anything that is
too wide for the CMS, though if you're limited in space, this might
not always be an option. I've also found that in rare, limited
occasions, crosscutting a board with a width up to 10" is a reasable
task for a CMS, provided you can seat the blade in the kerf when you
flip the board over.

So, if I mainly do the weekend wodworker type stuff,cabinets and the
like my best option would be a 12" CMS and not the 10" SCMS????
Tahnks for the help.
Miey
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
So, if I mainly do the weekend wodworker type stuff,cabinets and the
like my best option would be a 12" CMS and not the 10" SCMS????
Tahnks for the help.
Miey

I like my DeWalt. It was about $300 for the 13"

Greg G.

Edwin Pawlowski said:

wrote in message
.. .
So, if I mainly do the weekend wodworker type stuff,cabinets and the
like my best option would be a 12" CMS and not the 10" SCMS????
Tahnks for the help.
Miey

I like my DeWalt. It was about $300 for the 13"

13" ?? - What is this, a game of one-upsmanship?

"Mine's bigger than Yours is..." ;-)

Or is this some product I have never seen.
And where on earth do you get 13" blades...

Greg G.
Edwin Pawlowski

Greg G. wrote in message
I like my DeWalt. It was about $300 for the 13"

13" ?? - What is this, a game of one-upsmanship?

"Mine's bigger than Yours is..." ;-)

Hey, I'm always hoping for an extra inch. No, just a typo, should be 12"

Malcolm Webb

I know I'm going to feel real stupid when someone replies to this, but
I've been following this thread hoping that it would dawn on me what CMS
and SCMS stand for -- no luck I'm afraid :-(

In my professional work, CMS is an abbreviation for Coal Mining
Subsidence!!

Malcolm Webb

Greg G.

Malcolm Webb said:

I know I'm going to feel real stupid when someone replies to this, but
I've been following this thread hoping that it would dawn on me what CMS
and SCMS stand for -- no luck I'm afraid :-(

Compound Miter Saw, and Sliding Compound Miter Saw.

Greg G.
Malcolm Webb

Many thanks. I knew I would feel stupid when someone transalted.

Malcolm Webb

Greg G.

Edwin Pawlowski said:

Greg G. wrote in message
I like my DeWalt. It was about $300 for the 13"

13" ?? - What is this, a game of one-upsmanship?

"Mine's bigger than Yours is..." ;-)

Hey, I'm always hoping for an extra inch. No, just a typo, should be 12"

I though as much, but thought I would be sure - lest someone out there
was confused (or impressed). ;-)

Greg G.
Greg G.

Malcolm Webb said:

Many thanks. I knew I would feel stupid when someone transalted.

Malcolm Webb

Well there's stupid, and there's unenlightened.
You've just been enlightened.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! ;-)

Greg G.

mac davis

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:10:10 -0400, Greg G. wrote:

Malcolm Webb said:

Many thanks. I knew I would feel stupid when someone transalted.

Malcolm Webb

Well there's stupid, and there's unenlightened.
You've just been enlightened.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! ;-)

Greg G.

got some word class advice a LONG time ago on my 1st job.. the boss
said something like "there are no stupid questions, only people stupid
enough to do things without asking questions first"...

I must of told a few hundred people that over the years when i worked
in real estate..

Mac
mac davis

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:36:47 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
So, if I mainly do the weekend wodworker type stuff,cabinets and the
like my best option would be a 12" CMS and not the 10" SCMS????
Tahnks for the help.
Miey

I like my DeWalt. It was about $300 for the 13"

hmm.. sounds like you're compensating here... lol

Mac
mac davis

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 22:14:18 -0400, "Rumpty"
wrote:

RAS.

yup.. with a good cut off saw and a RAS, you can pretty much figure
that your (power) sawing is covered..

Mac
Malcolm Webb

I never did dare ask what a chop saw was. Here in the UK words like
"chop" and "saw" don't go together. Axes chop, saws cut :-)

Malcolm Webb

Greg G.

Malcolm Webb said:

I never did dare ask what a chop saw was. Here in the UK words like
"chop" and "saw" don't go together. Axes chop, saws cut :-)

Aw, whaddya expect from a country where Dado blades are illegal. ;-)
If you saw a crew of illegals on a construction site whacking house
trim with a CMS - you would understand how the term was coined! ;-)

Greg G.
Sam Schmenk

Agreed. CMS for portability and RAS for larger crosscuts. I
particularly like using 10" blades for both, as well as the table saw.
There's always a good crosscut blade around even if one or two is
being sharpened.
SS
Brian Morris

Well, here in Canada we call it a Mitre saw
"Malcolm Webb" wrote in message
o.uk...
I never did dare ask what a chop saw was. Here in the UK words like
"chop" and "saw" don't go together. Axes chop, saws cut :-)

Malcolm Webb

Delta SCMS vibration problem Greg Moore Woodworking 1 May 23rd 04 04:47 PM
Free SCMS Bench Groggy Woodworking 8 February 26th 04 07:36 PM
cms vs scms [email protected] Woodworking 3 January 27th 04 05:21 AM
SCMS max cut? Grant Byrne Woodworking 4 December 7th 03 05:57 PM
Why isn't there a SCMS that can accept a dado blade? BeerBoy Woodworking 6 September 5th 03 02:41 AM