Groggy

Default Free SCMS Bench

"Free" got your attention huh? Good, this is for bottom-feeders so read on.

I am just finishing making a bench I threw together from scraps around the
shop. The SCMS is a Makita LS1013.

Pics at:
http://www.groggy.homeip.net/wood/te...inet%20thinghy

- Top trim is Jarrah from an old floorboard.
- Bottom trim is Tasmanian Oak cut from edging used on another project.
- Trolley is from a BBQ the missus had given the death sentence.
- Finish was a half can of Cabots polyurine that somehow snuck into the
shop. It was brushed on with an old brush laying around the shop.
- Chipboard was an odd collection of offcuts, the base is slightly water
damaged underneath.
- gap in the trim at the back is for where the dust capture hood will be.

The cut-outs on the feed tables are for the handle to go in when mitering
(they are different as the left and right miters on the Makita are different
by about 5 degrees due to the motor mount). Pockets were left under the feed
tables to allow me to store junk (ok, tools in use) safely away from the
spinning thingy.

The reason for the 'fancy' trim was to practice what looks good and what
does not. I learned that vertical pieces should be placed first then covered
by horizontal pieces, less end-grain looks better.

Cost $0.

--

Greg

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your a** tomorrow."

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:29:06 GMT, "Groggy"
brought forth from the murky depths:

"Free" got your attention huh? Good, this is for bottom-feeders so read on.

Holy Bleeding Website, Grogs! Them's big and blurry pics,
neighbor. Did you -pay- someone to hose 'em for you, or
what? Crikey, 638 kb each!

I am just finishing making a bench I threw together from scraps around the
shop. The SCMS is a Makita LS1013.

Pics at:
http://www.groggy.homeip.net/wood/te...inet%20thinghy
- Top trim is Jarrah from an old floorboard.

She cleans up nicely, she does.

- Bottom trim is Tasmanian Oak cut from edging used on another project.
- Trolley is from a BBQ the missus had given the death sentence.

Ayup. I had "the look".

- Finish was a half can of Cabots polyurine that somehow snuck into the
shop. It was brushed on with an old brush laying around the shop.

It sure was, wans't it? 1699 is telling. You should
have dusted off the sawdust 'n splinters first, huh?

- Chipboard was an odd collection of offcuts, the base is slightly water
damaged underneath.
- gap in the trim at the back is for where the dust capture hood will be.

The cut-outs on the feed tables are for the handle to go in when mitering
(they are different as the left and right miters on the Makita are different
by about 5 degrees due to the motor mount). Pockets were left under the feed
tables to allow me to store junk (ok, tools in use) safely away from the
spinning thingy.

Hey, you know how to spell "thingy" after all!

The reason for the 'fancy' trim was to practice what looks good and what
does not. I learned that vertical pieces should be placed first then covered
by horizontal pieces, less end-grain looks better.

Cost $0.

Fair dinkum, sport.

I tore down some stained wood in my living room today. One
bookshelf disappeared and the other will get a nice white
coat of latex this week. I'll replace the junky old Sauder
(woodgrain-colored, contact-paper-coated termite barf) stereo
stands with a nice entertainment center.

--
If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise.
www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming
Groggy

"Larry Jaques" opined...
Holy Bleeding Website, Grogs! Them's big and blurry pics,
neighbor. Did you -pay- someone to hose 'em for you, or
what? Crikey, 638 kb each!

shuffle Shucks Larry, I'm not a bloody prima donna web-designer like some
of us ya know. g

Try http://www.groggy.homeip.net/wood, I have cleaned it up and reduced
file sizes. Go to SCMS Bench in the menu.

She cleans up nicely, she does.

Ta!

- Finish was a half can of Cabots polyurine that somehow snuck into the
shop. It was brushed on with an old brush laying around the shop.

It sure was, wans't it? 1699 is telling. You should
have dusted off the sawdust 'n splinters first, huh?

Aktually, that is the first coat of poly only. When I said I was "just
finishing", it was quite accurate.

Hey, you know how to spell "thingy" after all!

Yep, my son chucked the pics onto the server and I just used his labelling.
We both know it should be "thingummybob", but we get lazy ;-)

I tore down some stained wood in my living room today. One
bookshelf disappeared and the other will get a nice white
coat of latex this week. I'll replace the junky old Sauder
(woodgrain-colored, contact-paper-coated termite barf) stereo
stands with a nice entertainment center.

Progress is a good thing Larry, removing termite barf is definitely
progress. Unfortunately for me though, ply is a lot more expensive here than
in the US of A. Not sure why that is, but it's a darn nuisance.

BTW, why aren't web designers known as "Spiders"?

cheers,

Groggy

Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:29:20 GMT, Larry Jaques
scribbled:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:29:06 GMT, "Groggy"
brought forth from the murky depths:

- Finish was a half can of Cabots polyurine that somehow snuck into the
shop. It was brushed on with an old brush laying around the shop.

It sure was, wans't it? 1699 is telling. You should
have dusted off the sawdust 'n splinters first, huh?

You're a couple of hunnert years off, Lar. Cabot, (ackshally Giovanni
Caboto) the first Italian-Kanuckistani (or is it
Kanuckistani-Italian?) landed in Canada in 1497. Yup, 5 years after
Columbus. That polyurine must be mighty powerful by now, Grogs.

BTW, Groggy, how did you make sure that your "outriggers" are the same
height as the saw bed? When I made a stand for my mitre saw, I mounted
it on four short threaded rods that fit into t-nuts. The saw is held
up by a couple of nuts and a washer under the saw "legs". So I can do
fine adjustments so that everything is level, parallel and coplanar
with the saw.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
Groggy

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message ...
Yup, 5 years after
Columbus. That polyurine must be mighty powerful by now, Grogs.

That it is. Tell me though, how do they get that much from such a little
bird?

BTW, Groggy, how did you make sure that your "outriggers" are the same
height as the saw bed? When I made a stand for my mitre saw, I mounted
it on four short threaded rods that fit into t-nuts.

Well, I got the table nice and flat, then measured the height of the saw bed
over the table with an accurate rule. I measured the chipboard to be 16mm
(and a hair) - it's supposed to be 16mm but it never seems to be the same.

Then, I subtract 16mm from 115mm table height and add .5mm for safety. Make
the cut in scrap and test fit. Seems ok, make the cuts in the actual stock
and test fit again. It was a hair oversize, so I shaved a frag off and
retested, also checking for level across all three surfaces with a long
straight edge. I repeated this process until the outriggers were *just*
lower than the saw surface by about .01mm. Paint with poly, and recheck -
level.

The main reason for the 'shaving' approach is the saw that I use, it will,
on occasion, move just a hair out of alignment. I hope to get a proper
cabinet saw this year to fix this issue.

BTW, the remainder of that redgum sleeper segment you own is in use as a
vise face, go to http://www.groggy.homeip.net/wood/ and select vise from the
menu.

cheers,

Greg

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:00:49 GMT, "Groggy"
brought forth from the murky depths:

"Larry Jaques" opined...
Holy Bleeding Website, Grogs! Them's big and blurry pics,
neighbor. Did you -pay- someone to hose 'em for you, or
what? Crikey, 638 kb each!

shuffle Shucks Larry, I'm not a bloody prima donna web-designer like some
of us ya know. g

Try http://www.groggy.homeip.net/wood, I have cleaned it up and reduced
file sizes. Go to SCMS Bench in the menu.

See? I knew you could do it.

I tore down some stained wood in my living room today. One
bookshelf disappeared and the other will get a nice white
coat of latex this week. I'll replace the junky old Sauder
(woodgrain-colored, contact-paper-coated termite barf) stereo
stands with a nice entertainment center.

Progress is a good thing Larry, removing termite barf is definitely
progress. Unfortunately for me though, ply is a lot more expensive here than
in the US of A. Not sure why that is, but it's a darn nuisance.

You'd think they'd put out several grades of inexpensive
ewecallapeetus ply, wooncha? Hardwood ply at pineywood prices
would be good. Then again, your AUducats aren't as strong as
the paper we print here in the UpOver.

BTW, why aren't web designers known as "Spiders"?

Out of the public's good taste and respect for us, I reckon.
For the prima donna designers, at least.

--
If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise.
www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:20:01 -0800, Luigi Zanasi
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:29:20 GMT, Larry Jaques
It sure was, wans't it? 1699 is telling. You should
have dusted off the sawdust 'n splinters first, huh?

You're a couple of hunnert years off, Lar. Cabot, (ackshally Giovanni
Caboto) the first Italian-Kanuckistani (or is it
Kanuckistani-Italian?) landed in Canada in 1497. Yup, 5 years after
Columbus. That polyurine must be mighty powerful by now, Grogs.

In case you hadn't noticed, the filenames of the pictures
he posted contained 4-digit numbers. It was that to which
I referred, eh? Pull up that toque so you can read more
clearly, eh, hoser?

BTW, Groggy, how did you make sure that your "outriggers" are the same
height as the saw bed? When I made a stand for my mitre saw, I mounted
it on four short threaded rods that fit into t-nuts. The saw is held
up by a couple of nuts and a washer under the saw "legs". So I can do
fine adjustments so that everything is level, parallel and coplanar
with the saw.

SWAG on Grog's part? Nay, was precision marking/cutting.
Yeah, that and cardboard shims. I almost forgot those.

--
If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise.
www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming
Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:47:32 GMT, Larry Jaques
scribbled:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:20:01 -0800, Luigi Zanasi
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:29:20 GMT, Larry Jaques
It sure was, wans't it? 1699 is telling. You should
have dusted off the sawdust 'n splinters first, huh?

You're a couple of hunnert years off, Lar. Cabot, (ackshally Giovanni
Caboto) the first Italian-Kanuckistani (or is it
Kanuckistani-Italian?) landed in Canada in 1497. Yup, 5 years after
Columbus. That polyurine must be mighty powerful by now, Grogs.

In case you hadn't noticed, the filenames of the pictures
he posted contained 4-digit numbers. It was that to which
I referred, eh? Pull up that toque so you can read more
clearly, eh, hoser?

Duh, eh!

BTW, where's the pitcher of that Claudia Schiffer $20?

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:41:31 -0800, Luigi Zanasi
brought forth from the murky depths:

BTW, where's the pitcher of that Claudia Schiffer $20?

emailed just now. I had forgotten. A pic of a grown-up
Baby Spice was attached, too. You'll be dehydrated for
weeks after drooling over them for awhile.

CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

[Ganoksin] [Issue #98] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Ganoksin Metalworking 0 April 29th 04 03:49 PM
[Ganoksin] [January 2004] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Ganoksin Metalworking 0 January 24th 04 06:41 PM
Lint free rags? David P Woodworking 10 December 18th 03 10:23 PM
Bench Vise Questions (Steel vs. Iron) x Metalworking 2 September 1st 03 04:50 PM