BeerBoy

Default Why isn't there a SCMS that can accept a dado blade?

This might be a stupid question but I've always wondered why somebody
doesn't put out a SCMS that you could put a dado set onto? Would it be to
dangerous or underpowered or what?
Seeing as the SCMS is so popular nowadays and the radial arm isn't, it would
be a nice feature.
I usually use a router to put dados in long narrow boards but I think the
miter saw would be a nice alternative especially for a series of repetitive
cuts.

--
BeerBoy

"BeerBoy" wrote:

This might be a stupid question but I've always wondered why somebody
doesn't put out a SCMS that you could put a dado set onto? Would it be to
dangerous or underpowered or what?
Seeing as the SCMS is so popular nowadays and the radial arm isn't, it would
be a nice feature.
I usually use a router to put dados in long narrow boards but I think the
miter saw would be a nice alternative especially for a series of repetitive
cuts.

--
BeerBoy

Well one idea is that a SCMS pivots in back. You won't get a level
dado.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.
SwampBug

seems they could add a 'dado lock' to insure level. . .at least as good as a
RAS.

--
SwampBug
---------------------
wrote in message
"BeerBoy" wrote:

This might be a stupid question but I've always wondered why somebody
doesn't put out a SCMS that you could put a dado set onto? Would it be

dangerous or underpowered or what?
Seeing as the SCMS is so popular nowadays and the radial arm isn't, it

would
be a nice feature.
I usually use a router to put dados in long narrow boards but I think the
miter saw would be a nice alternative especially for a series of

repetitive
cuts.

--
BeerBoy

Well one idea is that a SCMS pivots in back. You won't get a level
dado.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

Tom Watson

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 19:04:06 GMT, "BeerBoy"
wrote:

This might be a stupid question but I've always wondered why somebody
doesn't put out a SCMS that you could put a dado set onto?

They got 'em.

But they call them RAS.

Now that I'm done being a smart ass - I got rid of my RAS in favor of
the SCMS almost ten years ago. I too missed the ability to use a dado
head, especially when making things like dentil molding.

Now I make my dado cuts on the table saw and then rip the piece down
into strips.

Regards, Tom.
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

"SwampBug" wrote:

seems they could add a 'dado lock' to insure level. . .at least as good as a
RAS.

How? Geometry does not work. Chit. Some pivot on slider rail.
Guess it could. Damn I hate that.

Guess it could. Please ignore previous response.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.
David Binkowski

What do you mean?
I normally just cut with the regular blade but then
pull the wood left and right really hard while I'm cutting.

That does the same thing as a dado blade.

So I installed it on Linux...