Zaf

Default Dado blade in circular saw

Assuming I can get the dado by the blade guard (or remove it), is
there any reason a dado blade will not work in a circular saw?
GTO69RA4

Arbor too short, blade bolt too short, might not fit through the foot, hard to
handhold a saw cutting dadoes, and the fact that it's really dangerous.

GTO(John)

Assuming I can get the dado by the blade guard (or remove it), is
there any reason a dado blade will not work in a circular saw?

Ramsey

Is your name Arnold Swazrhaggeter or whatever?

Man, do you have any clue as to how much wood you are taking off in a
hand held machine? I have never done it so I can't say. But
remembering the resistance and motor sounds in my tablesaw when I use
it tells me a lot is happening- too much to risk my wrist on.

On 20 Aug 2003 10:33:30 -0700, (Zaf) wrote:

Assuming I can get the dado by the blade guard (or remove it), is
there any reason a dado blade will not work in a circular saw?

Joel Jacobson

Assuming I can get the dado by the blade guard (or remove it), is there
any reason a dado blade will not work in a circular saw?

Not smart .... don't try it.

Leon

Yes you can do this. In fact, I have a dado set made for my circle saw.
The blades are about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. The holes on the dado set
are larger than the arbor on the saw. A set of various length sleeves come
with the set. The sleeves take up the space between the arbor and the
blades. For 2 blades you use the 1/4" sleeve more blades require a longer
sleeve. The dado blades fit inside the diameter of the guard.
Strictly rough cut results but handy for cutting half lap joints on 2 by 4
stock.

"Zaf" wrote in message
m...
Assuming I can get the dado by the blade guard (or remove it), is
there any reason a dado blade will not work in a circular saw?

Scott Brownell

Leon wrote:

Yes you can do this. In fact, I have a dado set made for my circle saw.
The blades are about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. The holes on the dado set
are larger than the arbor on the saw. A set of various length sleeves come
with the set. The sleeves take up the space between the arbor and the
blades. For 2 blades you use the 1/4" sleeve more blades require a longer
sleeve. The dado blades fit inside the diameter of the guard.
Strictly rough cut results but handy for cutting half lap joints on 2 by 4
stock.

"Zaf" wrote in message
m...
Assuming I can get the dado by the blade guard (or remove it), is
there any reason a dado blade will not work in a circular saw?

Never even heard of that Leon. Do you recall who made/makes it? I've put
2 7-1/4" blades on my Milwaukee dropfoot before without a problem for
drainage slots in a wood ramp/walkway (had to leave off the washer but
it worked fine.). If anyone tries this just remember to take your time,
don't try to horse it.

Scott
up later, the damage remains.

snip of scary question
Zaf wrote:
Assuming I can get the dado by the blade guard (or remove it), is
there any reason a dado blade will not work in a circular saw?

There are a few things to consider here, starting with your insurance
plan.
Dado blades come stacked or wobble, and really should be in a table saw.
I have a 7" wobble set up in a circular saw for when I'm feeling
reckless and just want to remove a bunch of wood in a hurry without
worrying much about neatness. It isn't pretty but it works, don't try
it unless you're pretty good size, the thing fights back and if it gets
away from you, parts of you will get away too. For accuracy a stacked
Dado is the only way to go and a circular saw probably will have too
short an arbor to use one safely.
Can it be done, yes. Should it be done, no.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Jim K

To summarize: you definitely can and absolutely shouldn't; I think
you're nuts for thinking about it and I do it all the time. :-P

On 20 Aug 2003 10:33:30 -0700, (Zaf) wrote:

Assuming I can get the dado by the blade guard (or remove it), is
there any reason a dado blade will not work in a circular saw?

BUB 209

I'm just glad my dado accident happened in a table saw and not a hand held.
Had a big bruise on my abs from the wood shooting back and permanently bent the
trunion on the table saw, had to throw it away.
Robert

I can picture what will happen and the accompanying sound will be something
like fresh hamburger meat thrown against a brick wall.

:-o

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On 20 Aug 2003 10:33:30 -0700, (Zaf) wrote:

Assuming I can get the dado by the blade guard (or remove it), is
there any reason a dado blade will not work in a circular saw?

Wow. That's sounds dangerous. I would not attempt it unless the
circular saw manual mentions it.

WARRENRN1

Tx for the tips, I am going to look into renting a radial armsaw for
the day. COuld not find the little dado from sears, and I do have
quite a bit of work.,

hey.... sorry you didn't ask sooner..... i went downstairs and looked in my
cabinet and lo and behold.... found the circlar saw dado set froms sears i was
given about 20 billion yrs ago.... not carbide tipped, but *kromedge*.....
never been used.... price marked on the outside original case... are you ready

in case you are interested... order # is
9/ 3268

WARRENRN1

Normally we are not proud of being ripped off.

aaahhhhh..... i personally was not ripped off.... i got it as a gift.... and
like i said... new, never used... still in the original packaging
material....
have no idea if it would ever work...