Pete Becker

Default Why not use a dado blade?

Leon wrote:

"Ross" wrote in message
When your wood isn't uniform, the tenons will vary in thickness with a

tenon
jig also, if you only cut one cheek at a time. To get truly uniform

tenons
in any wood, use a double blade setup and the tenon jig, and always cut

from
the show face.

No, they will not if you cut the outside, and not the side next to the jig.

I don't think that's right. Let's take some big numbers to make it
clearer: you set the jig so the blade is 2" away from the face of the
jig. You run a 3" thick piece through it, once from each side. Ignoring
the saw kerf, you end up with a 1" tenon. Now you run a 4" thick piece
through it, once from each side. Both cuts are 2" from the sides, i.e.
right in the middle. No tenon.

--
"To delight in war is a merit in the soldier,
a dangerous quality in the captain, and a

"Bring them on."
George W. Bush
Leon

"Pete Becker" wrote in message

If you're cutting more than one tenon and the pieces have (slightly)
different thicknesses then the tenons will also have different
thicknesses.

Nope I do this all the time. I am probably not making myself clear...
Watch how Norm does it... Thickness has no effect on the tennon width.

The distance from the blade to the outer tennon cheek is always the same if
you cut on the outside of the board. Basically the side of the board
closest to the blade. Regardless of thickness, the saw cuts in the same
place unless you make adjustments.

Leon

"Pete Becker" wrote in message

I don't think that's right. Let's take some big numbers to make it
clearer: you set the jig so the blade is 2" away from the face of the
jig. You run a 3" thick piece through it, once from each side. Ignoring
the saw kerf, you end up with a 1" tenon. Now you run a 4" thick piece
through it, once from each side. Both cuts are 2" from the sides, i.e.
right in the middle. No tenon.

--

Ok this is getting funny... we are knocking heads

Try it on your saw... if you don't have a jig, simply try it with your
fence and a 1x board on edge.
Be sure that most the board is between the fence and the blade. Rip a line.
Turn the board around and rip another line. Now do the same with a piece of
2x stock and if you do it right or under stood me correctly,, you'll see
that both left over tennons on each board is the same width.

Remember to cut on the side closest to the blade if you cut on the side
clossest to the jig or fence the tennon will change in size if you change
thicknesses of boards.