Grant Erwin

Default 0.035" Bandsaw Blade Thickness

I haven't tried it but here's what I suggest:

Take off your existing blade and get out your feeler gage set. Find
the eccentric bearing and try cranking it closer and farther until
you understand it thoroughly. Then see how far apart you can get the
bearings to go. If they will go .043" apart (.035 plus .004 on each
side) you are home free.

Check out http://www.tinyisland.com/4x6bsFAQ.html - maybe someday this
will get integrated into the real FAQ!

Grant

DeepDiver wrote:

The standard blade thickness on the common 4x6 bandsaw is 0.025". However, I
have found a source of 64.5"x0.5" blades with a 0.035" thickness. Any
pros/cons to consider in using a blade of this thickness? Has anyone tried a
0.035" thick blade on a 4x6 bandsaw?

Thanks,
Michael

Bob Powell

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
The standard blade thickness on the common 4x6 bandsaw is 0.025". However,

have found a source of 64.5"x0.5" blades with a 0.035" thickness. Any
pros/cons to consider in using a blade of this thickness? Has anyone tried

0.035" thick blade on a 4x6 bandsaw?

Thanks,
Michael

I have a couple of 64-1/2" x .035" blades, they won't work at all for me,
they are too stiff to make the "twist" in the short distance between the
wheels and the guides. I could get them mounted, but even with the tension
at max they just popped off the wheels as soon as the saw was turned on.

Years ago I got a lifetime supply of "oops" blades cheap, all good Lenox
bi-metal. Some were mistakenly made from .035" stock which is where the
above comes from. Fortunately most were .025" blades that were just too
short - 63-1/2" to 64". I was able to cut and file the saw casting to get
the upper wheel adjustment range down far enough to use them.

Bob

Roy

I noticed another poster had problems using the thicker.035" blades,
however I have and continue to use .035 without any problems on my HF
saw. All I had to do was readjust the guides. Dunno, but they work for
me.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:37:14 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

x-The standard blade thickness on the common 4x6 bandsaw is 0.025". However, I
x-have found a source of 64.5"x0.5" blades with a 0.035" thickness. Any
x-pros/cons to consider in using a blade of this thickness? Has anyone tried a
x-0.035" thick blade on a 4x6 bandsaw?
x-
x-Thanks,
x-Michael