DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Why isn't there a SCMS that can accept a dado blade? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/20340-why-isnt-there-scms-can-accept-dado-blade.html)

BeerBoy September 2nd 03 08:04 PM

Why isn't there a SCMS that can accept a dado blade?

This might be a stupid question but I've always wondered why somebody
doesn't put out a SCMS that you could put a dado set onto? Would it be to
dangerous or underpowered or what?
Seeing as the SCMS is so popular nowadays and the radial arm isn't, it would
be a nice feature.
I usually use a router to put dados in long narrow boards but I think the
miter saw would be a nice alternative especially for a series of repetitive
cuts.

--
BeerBoy

[email protected] September 2nd 03 09:18 PM

"BeerBoy" wrote:

This might be a stupid question but I've always wondered why somebody
doesn't put out a SCMS that you could put a dado set onto? Would it be to
dangerous or underpowered or what?
Seeing as the SCMS is so popular nowadays and the radial arm isn't, it would
be a nice feature.
I usually use a router to put dados in long narrow boards but I think the
miter saw would be a nice alternative especially for a series of repetitive
cuts.

--
BeerBoy

Well one idea is that a SCMS pivots in back. You won't get a level
dado.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

SwampBug September 2nd 03 10:18 PM

Why isn't there a SCMS that can accept a dado blade?

seems they could add a 'dado lock' to insure level. . .at least as good as a
RAS.

--
SwampBug
---------------------

Preston Andreas September 2nd 03 11:46 PM

Why isn't there a SCMS that can accept a dado blade?

My Dewalt has a stop for grooving. I would imagine a CSMS won't take a dado
because of both the weight and lack of power.

Preston

Tom Watson September 3rd 03 09:26 PM

Why isn't there a SCMS that can accept a dado blade?

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 19:04:06 GMT, "BeerBoy"
wrote:

This might be a stupid question but I've always wondered why somebody
doesn't put out a SCMS that you could put a dado set onto?

They got 'em.

But they call them RAS.

Now that I'm done being a smart ass - I got rid of my RAS in favor of
the SCMS almost ten years ago. I too missed the ability to use a dado
head, especially when making things like dentil molding.

Now I make my dado cuts on the table saw and then rip the piece down
into strips.

Regards, Tom.
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

[email protected] September 4th 03 02:43 PM

"SwampBug" wrote:

seems they could add a 'dado lock' to insure level. . .at least as good as a
RAS.

How? Geometry does not work. Chit. Some pivot on slider rail.
Guess it could. Damn I hate that.

Guess it could. Please ignore previous response.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

David Binkowski September 5th 03 02:41 AM

Why isn't there a SCMS that can accept a dado blade?

What do you mean?
I normally just cut with the regular blade but then
pull the wood left and right really hard while I'm cutting.

That does the same thing as a dado blade.

So I installed it on Linux...