Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default HF SCMS update - Another 'Aye' vote

On 3/10/2013 6:02 AM, HeyBub wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

Good info.
Thanks, I'll have to check one out. Really miss my old one.. the table
on that thing was huge. And it wasn't heavy for the size.

This one IS heavy (52 pounds). Like I said earlier, it's built like a
tank.

Spent part of last night reading the manual. The saw has adjustments for
fine-tuning, then locking into place, the saw's travel to assure that the
travel is square to the fence.

Another thing I learned, new to me, was that a sliding arm miter saw
with a
depth lock - which this saw has - can do dado cuts!

I bought the saw Friday uncrated it yesterday. I have to agree with the
build... Seems very solid and the finish a cut above the typical for HF.

Haven't taken the time to tweak it yet, but a test cut (left bevel @ 15
degrees) on a 2x4 with a digital angle gauge registered at 15.1 degrees.

A quick cross cut with the blade set at its 90 degree indent was off the
mark by about 1/64 - certainly good enough for framing, maybe not so
much for a face frame or picture frame.g

I have no doubt that with the rigidity of this tool that it'll readily
accept tweaks to "dead nuts on."

Funny, but when I opened the box one of the first things I saw was a
little baggy containing a set of brushes. I immediately wondered if I
had to complete the assembly of the motor... Nope, they packed in an
extra set of brushes for this beast.

I'm not sure that I'd want to play around with a dado set on this one.
Actually, the instructions specifically state that you should NOT adjust
the depth of cut any lower and the adjustable depth lock is designed to
raise the blade up for kerf cuts. Anybody got a 12" dado set laying
around to give this a try?g

Only thing that still has me puzzled is the inclusion of two molded
plastic "hooks" in the parts bag. Haven't seen mention made of them in
the owner's manual nor are they shown (that I can find) on the parts
breakout. Any owners of this saw have any ideas?

For $120 this IS a helluva buy. On the recommendation of a fellow
traveler who does buy a fair amount of HF power tools, I splurged on the
24 month extended warranty ($19.99). Working with this puppy and
knowing that if I have a problem with it I can just bring it in and swap
it out for a new (or improved) one is worth the money.

That's easy to adjust, just loosen the fence and square it up. They alll
do that.

--
Jeff