Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default HF SCMS update

On 3/9/2013 2:05 PM, wrote:
On Mar 9, 12:47 pm, woodchucker wrote:

So how good is this for $200????? How accurate?I really need something
to rough cut, but being accurate for the final of a big board would be
nice, rather than jury rigging my TS.

I don't have one personally, but one of my amigos does. He is about
75, and has been doing wood work of all types for about 60 years, so I
trust his opinion.

He bought one and loves it. He actually purchased one before, but
took it back. Running that head back and forth on the rails was like
running an old truck down a rutted road. HF gladly took it back.

Like most of us, he doesn't have the need or desire to spend $ 1500 on
this type of tool. And if there is a 12" model of the Kapex, I
couldn't find it. So less capacity for 10X the price does give one
pause...

He checked it with his Starrett engineer's square at 12" out (square
is 12") and told me that it was shockingly no more than a 64th out of
square at 12". Although he was ready to adjust it into perfection
when he checked it, finding that small of a discrepancy means nothing
so he left it alone. Sitting the tools on an uneven surface or
variations in stock dimension and stability can do that much by
themselves.

The slide action isn't Festool or Bosch, but it should work fine. I
have read on another ww site of guys that buy this saw and break it
down and clean it thoroughly then reassemble. They swear the action
is as smooth as silk after that.

I think if I actually needed one I would buy it. They are on sale
here (probably a regional thing) for even less than you guys are
seeing them.

Robert

Good info.
Thanks, I'll have to check one out. Really miss my old one.. the table
on that thing was huge. And it wasn't heavy for the size.

--
Jeff