Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default HF SCMS update - Another 'Aye' vote

On 3/10/2013 9:23 AM, dpb wrote:

I'm not sure that I'd want to play around with a dado set on this one.
Actually, the instructions specifically state that you should NOT adjust
the depth of cut any lower and the adjustable depth lock is designed to
raise the blade up for kerf cuts. Anybody got a 12" dado set laying
around to give this a try?g

I doubt it has long-enough arbor shaft for much of a dado set but you
make such a cut w/ these by using shim stock under the workpiece instead
of lowering the depth of cut below nominal.

Correct, there's no way you'd mount a dado set on this thing. Might get
away with ganging a pair of 12" blades but...

Here' what HF owner's manual says of this 'feature'

Page 12

Using the Depth Stop - If a kerfing or rabbet cut which does not cut
through the workpiece is desired, use the Depth
Stop Bolt to control the depth of the cut.

WARNING!

Only adjust the front Bolt. The rear Bolt is used to prevent the Blade
from cutting the table during normal cutting. Do not adjust the rear
Depth Bolt.

1. Unlock the Head Lock-down, see page 9.

2. Raise the saw head assembly.

3. Push the Depth Stop to the left to use the Depth Stop Bolt setting.

4. Pull down on the saw head to check the current setting.

5. To change the setting, first loosen the knurled Depth Stop Nut on the
Depth Stop Bolt. Turn the Depth Stop Bolt clockwise to decrease
depth and counterclockwise to increase depth. Tighten the Depth Stop Nut
after adjustment.

6. If needed, push the Depth Stop to the right to temporarily disable it

Regardless of what we may chose to do by jerry rigging it, it's a damn
nice saw for the money.