Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Digital Sliding T-Bevel

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 11:55*am, Swingman wrote:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

If it works as advertised, and there is no reason to think it won't,
that will be one helluva handy go-to tool. Pocket size to boot.
Posted to rec.woodworking

--Wowzers that's got a gazillion uses; thanks for posting!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

It can only be as accurate as the sensor at the sliding "arm" (sorry, I
don't know the appropriate term). I momentarily considered this as a
substitute for a magnetic level+bevel, but what I said above makes me
hesitate. Perhaps someone can vouch for the technology being used? The
issue is mainly academic for me, but it's not uninteresting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

It can only be as accurate as the sensor at the sliding "arm" (sorry, I
don't know the appropriate term). I momentarily considered this as a
substitute for a magnetic level+bevel, but what I said above makes me
hesitate. Perhaps someone can vouch for the technology being used? The
issue is mainly academic for me, but it's not uninteresting.

Sorry to reply to my own post: What is given up in accuracy besides the
"arm" is loose enough to slide? Until I here more, it's going to say
in my "gimmick" category. : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 12:12 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

It can only be as accurate as the sensor at the sliding "arm" (sorry, I
don't know the appropriate term). I momentarily considered this as a
substitute for a magnetic level+bevel, but what I said above makes me
hesitate. Perhaps someone can vouch for the technology being used? The
issue is mainly academic for me, but it's not uninteresting.

Sorry to reply to my own post: What is given up in accuracy besides the
"arm" is loose enough to slide? Until I here more, it's going to say in
my "gimmick" category. : )

Yea I looked at that yesterday, and the thing that hit me was the
accuracy of +-.3 degrees, but a resolution of .05 degrees. Seems odd
that the accuracy is so much further off than the resolution. What good
is .05 resolution if you can only have .3 accuracy. If the accuracy were
..1 I would understand.

At that point I questioned it's legitimacy.

I am interested but after having lost my job yesterday, I'll wait for
your opinions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 10:55 AM, Swingman wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

Hey, you're supposed to wait until I get mine ordered and delivered before you
go telling everybody else and their mother about stuff like this.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 11:39 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 2/15/2012 10:55 AM, Swingman wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

Hey, you're supposed to wait until I get mine ordered and delivered
before you go telling everybody else and their mother about stuff like
this.

I can see occasions where it would be real handy, like when setting a
miter saw for non-square corners, among other things, but, even though I
really don't have that much need, the _price_ is what makes it attractive.

AAMOF, the thing I like the best is the knob doesn't get in the way of
laying it flat for measuring ... just that feature in combination with
the digital read-out in a t-bevel is worth the twenty bucks when you
absolutely need it.

for those who just can't help themselves repeating the obvious, yes, I
am well that non-digital versions have that same feature for less cost

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 11:22 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

On 2/15/2012 12:12 PM, Bill wrote:

Sorry to reply to my own post: What is given up in accuracy besides the
"arm" is loose enough to slide? Until I here more, it's going to say in
my "gimmick" category. : )

Yea I looked at that yesterday, and the thing that hit me was the
accuracy of +-.3 degrees, but a resolution of .05 degrees. Seems odd
that the accuracy is so much further off than the resolution. What good
is .05 resolution if you can only have .3 accuracy. If the accuracy were
.1 I would understand.

At that point I questioned it's legitimacy.

As always, that depends entirely upon your use of the "gimmick" (and
probably your imagination).

With a few of the things where I can envision its usefulness, like some
machine setup situations, the fact that you can't set the machine to a
greater accuracy than the accuracy of the instrument itself makes it a
moot point.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 12:01*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 15, 11:55*am, Swingman wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

If it works as advertised, and there is no reason to think it won't,
that will be one helluva handy go-to tool. Pocket size to boot.

As per discussion elsewhere in this thread, it could be construed as a
bit gimmicky, but having said that, many things with digital read-out
are gimmicky. Like the days of yore, FM Radio tuners with digital read-
outs were "so much more accurate" than their sliding dial
counterparts!! The read-out had absolutely nothing to do with the
tuning itself, as is the case with so many measuring tools. I bought a
measuring tape with a digital read-out (in a fit of spontaneity) a
Starrett no less, and found myself reading the tape instead of the
digital read-out. I tossed the damned thing when I wanted to replace
the battery and discovered it was a proprietary $20.00 POS. (They, of
course, changed to another battery shortly thereafter.) IMHO,
'digital' doesn't automatically mean 'better'.

But I digress.

(back to the fishing lure analogy... who/what are those lures designed
to catch?)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 11:51 AM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

It's pretty common for me to need to set my (regular ol') sliding bevel to some
oddball angle, and for years I've been using various protractors or angle
gauges to do it. I recently bought this little gem:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...78&cat=1,43513 to do it
instead, and while it works OK, it's still pretty cumbersome for that purpose
and I think that digital sliding bevel will be just the ticket for me. I put
one on order; we shall see how it works out.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

Seems to me that if the blade is more accurate than the read-out just use
the blade... I've got no problem laying my sliding bevel up against the saw
plate on my CMS and TS, and against the miter gauges on the TS, BS, and
router table... and there are no batteries to go dead or crystals/lenses to
break!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I guess then its not a bad deal for you.
I have kind of liked the idea of:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...936,50298&ap=2

but have used various protractors to set my angle.
And after just revisiting the page, at almost twice the price, I guess
20 is not so bad a risk.

On 2/15/2012 2:46 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 2:52*pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

Seems to me that if the blade is more accurate than the read-out just use
the blade... *I've got no problem laying my sliding bevel up against the saw
plate on my CMS and TS, and against the miter gauges on the TS, BS, and
router table... and there are no batteries to go dead or crystals/lenses to
break!

John

Always a legitimate question: what sortakinda batteries does this
thing consume and what does one have to pay for those?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

Seems to me that if the blade is more accurate than the read-out just
use the blade... I've got no problem laying my sliding bevel up against
the saw plate on my CMS and TS, and against the miter gauges on the TS,
BS, and router table... and there are no batteries to go dead or
crystals/lenses to break!

I was talking about uses that were more along the line of using it to
measure the angle of the corner of room (notoriously un-square),
dividing by two, and setting your miter saw to the results ... anything
that can get you into the ballpark quicker, at $20, will pay for itself
pretty quickly.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

Seems to me that if the blade is more accurate than the read-out just
use the blade... I've got no problem laying my sliding bevel up against
the saw plate on my CMS and TS, and against the miter gauges on the TS,
BS, and router table... and there are no batteries to go dead or
crystals/lenses to break!

I was talking about uses that were more along the line of using it to
measure the angle of the corner of room (notoriously un-square), dividing
by two, and setting your miter saw to the results ... anything that can
get you into the ballpark quicker, at $20, will pay for itself pretty
quickly.

I guess I'm so used to using a protractor and sliding bevel for measuring,
and a shooting board for tweaking joints, that I don't even think about
dealing with non-square corners as a problem... It goes along with the
realization I had while working at Colonial Williamsburg that pretty much
the whole man-made world was built without electricity. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

;~)

Absolutely nothing wrong with that ... some of us just find it makes us
more competitive to use electricity when feeding the family with the
proceeds.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

Yup... There are absolutely times when electricity makes a lot of sense...
and other times when meat powered tools make sense... Developing skill with
both types of power lets you solve problems and get things done!

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Swingman wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Who wants to wait for the Bridge City version at 5 or 10 times the price?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
[...]

I'm all in favor a sliding t-bevel. I have found "creative" uses for
mine (like measuring the squareness of the inside of a box". My
curosity was about the added value of the digital guage. My dad, may he
rest in peace, would likely have said "It looks like another gimmick!"
: )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/12 3:12 PM, Swingman wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, if someone wants to take his horse & buggy to work, that's fine
with me.
Good luck with that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 6:53 PM, Bill wrote:

My curosity
was about the added value of the digital guage. My dad, may he rest in
peace, would likely have said "It looks like another gimmick!" : )

If it was also equipped with a laser, I would be inclined to agree.

But, it's not.

That said, for twenty bucks + shipping, I'll let you know in week or ten
days.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

NOW you tell me. I just bought one from Rockler at full price plus shipping.
I should check out the other wood places first. However it works fine and
very accurate. All my squares checked out the same and the 45 degree
settings also. Uses a #2032 button battery. Lined up my table saw blade at
90 degrees. Joints fit better now. WW

"Swingman" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 09:01:17 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Feb 15, 11:55*am, Swingman wrote:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

If it works as advertised, and there is no reason to think it won't,
that will be one helluva handy go-to tool. Pocket size to boot.

I'm sure they do. I bought one of these and it works great.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,43513&p=64278
It saved me a lot of time in reproducing angles in a porch rail
replacement I did last year. We changed the height to meet regs so I
couldn't just copy the angles there.

(Hey, Swingy! Wanna trade? I like yours better.)

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 5:52 PM, Larry W wrote:
In ,
wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Who wants to wait for the Bridge City version at 5 or 10 times the price?

It is already out. And 22 times the price.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...l-payment.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Who wants to wait for the Bridge City version at 5 or 10 times the price?

It is already out. And 22 times the price.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...l-payment.html

This morning's spam from Woodworking magazine announces the Woodpeckers
bevel gauge... the 7" is $70 and the 12" is $100. No batteries but the
locking handle is in the end of the body. Looks like it's a one time run of
these things and you have to order pre-production by 3/5.
http://www.woodpeck.com/bevelgauge.h...67&rid=3341059 This
locking gizmo seems more useful than knowing the
angle in 1/10s of degrees via a display... but that's just me thinking about
how I used these things.

Red aluminum and stainless are pretty ugly, in my eyes, compared to the
blued steel and rosewood of my most used bevel gauge. I cannot envision a
nice patina developing on aluminum and stainless... However, that locking
lever is cool... and having a bespoke tool is a neat idea. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Who wants to wait for the Bridge City version at 5 or 10 times the price?

It is already out. And 22 times the price.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...l-payment.html

It looks like they really tried hard with the parts they had on hand! : )
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah it is an intended limited run but that is not a certainty. They
have repeated the run on the "one time" 50" rule 2 times now. Basically
there have been 3 deadlines to order. But to be safe you better order
now if you want one.

Red aluminum and stainless are pretty ugly, in my eyes, compared to the
blued steel and rosewood of my most used bevel gauge. I cannot envision
a nice patina developing on aluminum and stainless... However, that
locking lever is cool... and having a bespoke tool is a neat idea. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Who wants to wait for the Bridge City version at 5 or 10 times the
price?

It is already out. And 22 times the price.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...l-payment.html

It looks like they really tried hard with the parts they had on hand! : )

No kidding!
It tool is way way way overly complex to measure an angle accurately and
while it is expensive it seems under priced given it complexity and
their normally high prices.

If you have a need for their tools many are worth the investment. I
have 7 different BC tools, including a first in a series of one time
tools, the Squivel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This morning's spam from Woodworking magazine announces the Woodpeckers
bevel gauge... the 7" is $70 and the 12" is $100. No batteries but the
locking handle is in the end of the body. Looks like it's a one time run
of these things and you have to order pre-production by 3/5.
http://www.woodpeck.com/bevelgauge.h...67&rid=3341059 This
locking gizmo seems more useful than knowing the
angle in 1/10s of degrees via a display... but that's just me thinking
about how I used these things.

"It is a mistake to think
that a particular tool
is only good or bad
or useful or not
No tool is ever useful
at all times
So, if you have to ask
why you would want it
you probably don't ...
Maybe some day you will
and maybe you won't"

ANON ..

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Who wants to wait for the Bridge City version at 5 or 10 times the price?

It is already out. And 22 times the price.

How Festooly^H^H^H^Hive!

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...l-payment.html

Where's the applause coming from? Oh, I do believe it's coming from
the grave of Rube Goldberg himself!

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/16/2012 9:11 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Ok, what's a squivel. I can't find an image. I want to see what the
other half spends their hard earned dollars on.
8)

Sorry "Squevel". Like that would help. LOL

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...1-squevel.html

The information on this discontinued first of a series commemorative
tools is lacking these days but it is a tri-square with a small t-bevel
in the handle. It also has a "lucky" new penny embedded in the handle.
If I shake it I can hear it. I have never used the tool figuring it
might some day be worth something.

A better picture here,

http://toolboxblog.com/2009/02/19/br...-ct-1-squevel/

and here

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...tive-tool-ct-1

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...k-plane-new-in

Mad sometime in 1993.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I hope you got that as a work of art.
It's original price while high, and very high back then, might be worth it.

But I wouldn't. You do seem to have the best tools Leon. Can I come over
and borrow some 8)

On 2/16/2012 2:28 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/16/2012 9:11 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Ok, what's a squivel. I can't find an image. I want to see what the
other half spends their hard earned dollars on.
8)

Sorry "Squevel". Like that would help. LOL

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...1-squevel.html

The information on this discontinued first of a series commemorative
tools is lacking these days but it is a tri-square with a small t-bevel
in the handle. It also has a "lucky" new penny embedded in the handle.
If I shake it I can hear it. I have never used the tool figuring it
might some day be worth something.

A better picture here,

http://toolboxblog.com/2009/02/19/br...-ct-1-squevel/

and here

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...tive-tool-ct-1

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...k-plane-new-in

Mad sometime in 1993.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Who wants to wait for the Bridge City version at 5 or 10 times the price?

It is already out. And 22 times the price.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...l-payment.html

Will, I suppose it's nice that we have an American company who can compete
with Fein on pricing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
John Grossbohlin wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Google "Stanley bevel 18" You shouldn't have much trouble finding one
for $20 or so.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/16/2012 2:19 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I hope you got that as a work of art.
It's original price while high, and very high back then, might be worth it.

I once saw it being offered about 10 years ago $500. My son will
probably make some money off if it some day.

But I wouldn't. You do seem to have the best tools Leon. Can I come over
and borrow some 8)

Sure! Bring money for non refundable deposit. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I only wish my son gets bitten by the working wood bug, but I don't
think he has it. Computers are his thing. He has a disorder that makes
his hands shake so bad that watching him try to hold a screw driver is
nerve racking.
He wanted to do some soldering for his computer... he could not get the
solder to the joint, nor the tip of the iron to stay on the joint.

My tools will be sold at some garage sale or ebay... Too bad, I do have
a few really nice tools. Lie Nielsen planes, Veritas Planes, I have
about a 1/2 dozen baileys and sweet hearts. I started collecting wooden
planes, molding planes..etc I can't put my finger on my most prized
tool, but it isn't my power collection which right now only lacks a lathe.
My work bench will probably stay with him. It's a solid workbench.

I have some really nice Disston saws before they turned to crap. Some
real beauties with awesome handles.

On 2/16/2012 8:12 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/16/2012 2:19 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I hope you got that as a work of art.
It's original price while high, and very high back then, might be
worth it.

I once saw it being offered about 10 years ago $500. My son will
probably make some money off if it some day.

But I wouldn't. You do seem to have the best tools Leon. Can I come over
and borrow some 8)

Sure! Bring money for non refundable deposit. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article ,
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Google "Stanley bevel 18" You shouldn't have much trouble finding one
for $20 or so.

Interesting... I'll keep my eyes open while wandering the floor at my club's
woodworking show in Saratoga Springs at the end of March... It's coming up
quicker than I am getting ready for it!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman writes:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

Amazon lists this for $29.95, BTW.
Also one reviewer says the handle is plastic.