Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Digital Sliding T-Bevel

On 2/22/2012 9:27 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/22/2012 8:57 PM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:22:01 -0600, wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...06486789300626

BTW, for what purpose are blue tape strips on the cabinet? Decidedly,
the tape is covering some type of putty/plastic wood or similar type
of filler, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what you need
the tape for.

ASCII, and you shall receive.

Multi-purpose, time saving, methodology:

Tape is applied, beforehand, to the exact locations on the cabinet parts
were finishing nails are to be shot.

This helps to accurately locate the intended nailing spots, and thus
minimizes the ever present chance of a blowout on visible parts of the
cabinet, which would then have to be repaired.

After the finishing nail is shot, wood filler is applied to the nail
hole, _on top of the tape_ , making for a precise filling of the nail
hole only, with no overspill.

After removal of the tape, this makes for much less cleanup and sanding
needed, particularly handy if the nail hole is on a veneer that may be
thin to start with.

And, strangely enough, actually has somewhat of the effect of making the
precisely filled nail hole less visible after staining and finishing.

Really not strange at all!. :!)

The tape keeps the putty "out" of the surrounding wood grain. When the
putty gets in the surrounding wood grain it is quite visible regardless
of how well you sand. Well unless you sand down to the bottom of the
wood grain.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2012 8:00 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in :

I have a battery powered volt meter that does ohms, volts and all that
rot. My BIL gave it to me around 1975 and it takes one AA battery,
maybe two. I never changed the battery, it has a white paper label
with no name on it. Still works perfectly. I thought both these
items, my calc and this thing were some sort of freaky thing, but
seems there was a lot of this going around in the 70's. I don't think
this happens any more, am I wrong?

The only thing you've got to keep an eye on is leaking batteries. An
analog meter doesn't need the battery to measure anything but
resistance, so naturally it'll last forever.

I always thought batteries had a short shelf life whether used or not.
Guess I was wrong. Another thing that lasted around 10 years or more
was one of those little kids book that played a song when you opened it.
This was the itsy bitsy spider book, and it was sitting in a bookcase
for many years and when I opened the thing, it still worked. I'd guess
10 years at least.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in :

[...]

The little silver oxide button batteries have an incredible shelf
life. The alkaline ones not so good, and the lithium somewhere in
between.
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Then there's the matter of productivity. They built Notre Dame
Cathedral without electricity. It took 'em 180 years but they did do
it.

Preach it Clarke!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2012 6:32 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

Then there's the matter of productivity. They built Notre Dame
Cathedral without electricity. It took 'em 180 years but they did do
it.

Preach it Clarke!

Not to mention the National Cathedral in DC, that took almost 100 years
to build and complete and was pretty much only recently completed in the
last 10 or so years and there was plenty of electricity to go around. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

J. Clarke wrote:

Then there's the matter of productivity. They built Notre Dame
Cathedral without electricity. It took 'em 180 years but they did
do it.

Preach it Clarke!

Not to mention the National Cathedral in DC, that took almost 100
years to build and complete and was pretty much only recently
completed in the last 10 or so years and there was plenty of
electricity to go around. ;~)

And then a little earthquake caused tremendous (in dollar terms) damage.

--
Best regards
Han