Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Digital Sliding T-Bevel

On 2/16/2012 8:17 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I only wish my son gets bitten by the working wood bug, but I don't
think he has it. Computers are his thing. He has a disorder that makes
his hands shake so bad that watching him try to hold a screw driver is
nerve racking.
He wanted to do some soldering for his computer... he could not get the
solder to the joint, nor the tip of the iron to stay on the joint.

Well my son so far has not gotten the bug, fortunately he has no
physical challenges. He does like for me to build for him however. I
have ofter referred to him as "my retirement plan" although I was
thinking a bit differently than selling him furniture. ;~) He is a
busy guy, by Wednesday of this week he had already put in 40 hours, busy
season. He put in several days last week that were 18 hour days. Busy
season for a CPA working for a "big 4" public accounting firm. Perhaps
when he gets more time and settles down a bit he will be more interested.

My tools will be sold at some garage sale or ebay... Too bad, I do have
a few really nice tools. Lie Nielsen planes, Veritas Planes, I have
about a 1/2 dozen baileys and sweet hearts. I started collecting wooden
planes, molding planes..etc I can't put my finger on my most prized
tool, but it isn't my power collection which right now only lacks a lathe.
My work bench will probably stay with him. It's a solid workbench.

I have told my son the same, he will inherit enough tools to start to
take over a furniture making business.

I have some really nice Disston saws before they turned to crap. Some
real beauties with awesome handles.

Certainly keepers
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...snip...]
This morning's spam from Woodworking magazine announces the Woodpeckers
bevel gauge... the 7" is $70 and the 12" is $100. No batteries but the
locking handle is in the end of the body. Looks like it's a one time run of
these things and you have to order pre-production by 3/5.
http://www.woodpeck.com/bevelgauge.h...67&rid=3341059 This
locking gizmo seems more useful than knowing the
angle in 1/10s of degrees via a display... but that's just me thinking about
how I used these things.

Like this one but for 2-3 times the money? I'll keep my Shinwa.

http://www.amazon.com/Sliding-T-Beve.../dp/B0037XWC4O
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 11:55*am, Swingman wrote:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Sliding bevels are for copying or transferring angles.
Readout seems like a needless add on. At least you'll
still be able to use it as a sliding bevel when the battery
dies. General? Hope it's more accurate than the
stamped out General 1/128" vernier caliper I bought
years ago.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/2012 6:38 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

Sliding bevels are for copying or transferring angles.

Wow ... thanks for sharing that.

Readout seems like a needless add on.

Yep, for those stuck in a rut with no imagination, it most probably is.

At least you'll still be able to use it as a sliding bevel
when the battery dies.

So, when the battery dies, _you_ are that guy who buys a new tool
instead of a battery?

Well, that's a mystery solved.

General?

You don't sound all that confident ... just learned to read, or have no
idea which "General" it is?

Hope it's more accurate than the
stamped out General 1/128" vernier caliper I bought
years ago.

Yeah, I hope so too ... I'd hate to be that easily fooled.

Hell, here lately I'm just trying to figure WTF makes some folks feel
the need to be publicly negative about a tool of which they have
_absolutely_ no first hand knowledge?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:05:06 -0600, Swingman wrote:
Hell, here lately I'm just trying to figure WTF makes some folks feel
the need to be publicly negative about a tool of which they have
_absolutely_ no first hand knowledge?

A little volatile lately are we? g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/2012 8:12 PM, Dave wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:05:06 -0600, wrote:
Hell, here lately I'm just trying to figure WTF makes some folks feel
the need to be publicly negative about a tool of which they have
_absolutely_ no first hand knowledge?

A little volatile lately are we?g

You could say that ... but the asininity clearly preceded the volatility.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/2012 8:05 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

What Swing said.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

A solution looking for a problem to solve.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

A solution looking for a problem to solve.

Lew

How about a game, "Guess The Angle".

You turn it upside down and try to set it to say, 37.5 degrees.
The one is is furthest off or who doesn't get the concept has to buy the
next round!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:44:37 -0800, Jim Weisgram
wrote:

[...snip...]
This morning's spam from Woodworking magazine announces the Woodpeckers
bevel gauge... the 7" is $70 and the 12" is $100. No batteries but the
locking handle is in the end of the body. Looks like it's a one time run of
these things and you have to order pre-production by 3/5.
http://www.woodpeck.com/bevelgauge.h...67&rid=3341059 This
locking gizmo seems more useful than knowing the
angle in 1/10s of degrees via a display... but that's just me thinking about
how I used these things.

Like this one but for 2-3 times the money? I'll keep my Shinwa.

http://www.amazon.com/Sliding-T-Beve.../dp/B0037XWC4O

I have a little $5 plastic and stainless job (just like that) which I
used before the electronic bevel gauge came to me from LVT. Both have
their places, and I'm not going to ever consider a ripoff price like
Bridge City charges. Yuckin fuppies overcharging yuppies. sigh

OK, some of their products are well engineered, but...if we priced our
shop output at their prices, simple end tables would cost $23K.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from folly
is to fill the world with fools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:38:31 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell
wrote:

On Feb 15, 11:55*am, Swingman wrote:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Sliding bevels are for copying or transferring angles.
Readout seems like a needless add on. At least you'll
still be able to use it as a sliding bevel when the battery
dies. General? Hope it's more accurate than the
stamped out General 1/128" vernier caliper I bought
years ago.

You can take the digitally accurate angle and put it onto a miter saw
for a precise cut. It's tougher and takes longer with a sliding
bevel. You always nudge the slider with the miter blade while trying
to get the angle right. DAMHIKT

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from folly
is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Hell, here lately I'm just trying to figure WTF makes some folks feel
the need to be publicly negsative about a tool of which they have
_absolutely_ no first hand knowledge?

Because it makes them feel like one of the elite.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Hell, here lately I'm just trying to figure WTF makes some folks feel
the need to be publicly negsative about a tool of which they have
_absolutely_ no first hand knowledge?

Because it makes them feel like one of the elite.

There seems to be plenty of "publicly positive" information that is
shared by people who probably have _absolutely_ no first hand knowledge.
Lots of spreaders evidently spend a lot of money to spread their
"information". From most of what I have seen, no one here is getting
paid for his or her opinions. I don't know WTF they do it? Are you
trying to get your $19.95 back? : ) just kidding!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2012 12:24 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

A solution looking for a problem to solve.

Lew

Helping to make the staves of a wooden bucket was provided as an example.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
On 2/18/2012 12:24 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

A solution looking for a problem to solve.

Lew

6 distinct gems (from the mineral Festool) are to be inlayed on the
outside of a wooden bracelet. Two such bracelets are the same if the
relative orientation of the gems is the same (for instance if the
bracelet is rotated or flipped upside down). How many ways can the gems
be inlayed (i.e. how many such bracelets are there)?

With a compass, or with a digital sliding T-bevel, it will be easy to
mark where the gems should be located! Of course, depending on
technique, error could be cumulative.

The problems seems more difficult using 7 distinct gems (score +1 for
the sliding T-bevel)!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 2:24 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Always a legitimate question: what sortakinda batteries does this
thing consume and what does one have to pay for those?

It uses the ubiquitous ''CR2032'' battery. I keep a blister pack of a
dozen of that particular battery in the shop has almost every tool that
has a digital readout uses it.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2012 10:16 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/15/2012 2:24 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Always a legitimate question: what sortakinda batteries does this
thing consume and what does one have to pay for those?

It uses the ubiquitous ''CR2032'' battery. I keep a blister pack of a
dozen of that particular battery in the shop has almost every tool that
has a digital readout uses it.

I only have two digital readouts in the shop, one uses an L44 and one,
the Wixy uses the cr2032 thing. I think they all should use solar
cells like my $10, 35 year old calculator that runs easily off the shop
lights.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 12:22 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Yea I looked at that yesterday, and the thing that hit me was the
accuracy of +-.3 degrees, but a resolution of .05 degrees. Seems odd
that the accuracy is so much further off than the resolution. What good
is .05 resolution if you can only have .3 accuracy. If the accuracy were
.1 I would understand.

I bought one of those Wixy magnetic angle things and they have an
accuracy of .1 degrees. When I got it, I naturally checked my table
saw, jointer and band saw. All 3 were within .1 degrees of perfect. I
had no idea if the gauge or my fences was off, given they have a .1
degree of accuracy. I then noted that if a breathed hard on a fence it
would change .1 degree, meaning .1 degree is more accurate than anyone
needs for wood work.

At that point I questioned it's legitimacy.

I think it would be useful, and more accurate than my current angle
bevel that I use infrequently. The price is good at 20 bucks and on
Amazon, the same gauge is 30 bucks.

The only draw back I see is it must use batteries for a digital readout.
That means when you go to use it, the batteries will be dead. My Wixy
came with an extra battery, or was it my digital caliber? and I already
replaced the battery once. Must have been the caliber, as I only used
Wixy thing once. Also, every single electronic gimmick uses a different
battery. Must be 200 million different styles of watch batteries, one
for each different device.

On that subject, I bought a solar powered, credit card sized calculator
in the 70's. It is my shop calculator and it has a battery because it
works in no light. I never changed the battery, I don't think you can,
but damn the thing works for going on 40 years.

I am interested but after having lost my job yesterday, I'll wait for
your opinions.

That's my opinion and you only had to wait a few days:-)
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

[...]

Cannot tell you how much I agree! I too have an ancient solar powered
calculator with a backup battery, and it has been working for decades. Some
ideas just seem so logical, but I guess they must not be...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2012 9:45 AM, Jack wrote:

I think they all should use solar cells
like my $10, 35 year old calculator that runs easily off the shop lights.

My old Aurora D19, which I've had for about 25 years, still works as
long as I bring it can get sunlight. Still my favorite desktop
calculator of all time ... so much so that I built a holder for it out
of scraps some years back:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...06486789300626

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2012 9:45 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/21/2012 10:16 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/15/2012 2:24 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Always a legitimate question: what sortakinda batteries does this
thing consume and what does one have to pay for those?

It uses the ubiquitous ''CR2032'' battery. I keep a blister pack of a
dozen of that particular battery in the shop has almost every tool that
has a digital readout uses it.

I only have two digital readouts in the shop, one uses an L44 and one, the Wixy
uses the cr2032 thing. I think they all should use solar cells like my $10, 35
year old calculator that runs easily off the shop lights.

I agree with that one! I have a calculator like that and it just keeps going
and going.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2012 10:15 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Jack wrote:

[...]

I have a paperless tape TI calculator that I have probably had 25~30
years, before my son was born, he will be 25 in August. When he was
2~3 years old he dumped countless "Coke's" on it and I have had to
disassemble and clean at least 3 times., but not in the last 20 years. ;~)

ANYWAY it runs on 4 AA batteries and I cannot remember changing the
batteries over 3 times.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

I have a paperless tape TI calculator that I have probably had 25~30
years, before my son was born, he will be 25 in August. When he was
2~3 years old he dumped countless "Coke's" on it and I have had to
disassemble and clean at least 3 times., but not in the last 20 years.
;~)

ANYWAY it runs on 4 AA batteries and I cannot remember changing the
batteries over 3 times.

I've got a solar/battery powered TI30. I doubt I'll have to change the
battery any time soon, but there's no need if the solar panels can
provide enough power to run it.

Conversely, my TI graphing calculators don't have solar panels and need
the battery changed a little more frequently. It depends on how much
they're used, though. In the 10 years I had my clearance TI80, I've only
needed to replace the batteries twice. I think I'm to 3 battery changes
with my TI89, but it did get used to do some serious number crunching.

I've got a digital caliper, OTOH, that's telling me the batteries need
replaced already. I bet it's been on for a grand total of 5 minutes
since I replaced the batteries.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 2/22/2012 9:45 AM, Jack wrote:

I think they all should use solar cells
like my $10, 35 year old calculator that runs easily off the shop lights.

My old Aurora D19, which I've had for about 25 years, still works as
long as I bring it can get sunlight. Still my favorite desktop
calculator of all time ... so much so that I built a holder for it out
of scraps some years back:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...06486789300626

Wow, snazzy! : )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2012 1:49 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

I have noticed on these digital measuring tools that temperature
shortens battery life AND not turning it off. ;!)
" My digital TiltBox", sliding it in its soft cover case and
accidentally turning it back on in the process. I have learned to pay
close attention to not pushing where the switches are located when
putting the tools back in their cases.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:15:04 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Jack wrote:

[...]

My wife has a calculator that was given to her before we married -
and that's 31 years ago, It is NOT solar, and is still working. It's a
Canon Palmtronic. Just checked and it says "uses 2 penlight batteries
1.5 volt" They must have been REAL GOOD batteries, because she has
never changed them, and nor have I. (she wouldn't know how, and I know
this is the first time it's been removed from it's case by me)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2012 11:15 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Jack wrote:

On that subject, I bought a solar powered, credit card sized
calculator in the 70's. It is my shop calculator and it has a
battery because it works in no light. I never changed the battery, I
don't think you can, but damn the thing works for going on 40 years.

Cannot tell you how much I agree! I too have an ancient solar powered
calculator with a backup battery, and it has been working for decades. Some
ideas just seem so logical, but I guess they must not be...

Mine was bought at Radio Shack for about $10 if I recall.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

I have a Mititoyo digital caliper. If I use it daily as usual, the battery
will last about two years. If I let it sit for a couple weeks without using
it, the battery will go dead. BTW, I never turn it off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2012 11:22 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/22/2012 9:45 AM, Jack wrote:

I think they all should use solar cells
like my $10, 35 year old calculator that runs easily off the shop lights.

My old Aurora D19, which I've had for about 25 years, still works as
long as I bring it can get sunlight. Still my favorite desktop
calculator of all time ... so much so that I built a holder for it out
of scraps some years back:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...06486789300626

Mine lives on top of my TS Fence. It has a fake leather case, might be
real leather, who knows. It's small, and has about 4 tiny solar cells
that run it off my shop lights, no sun needed.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/Calc.jpg

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2012 7:52 PM, CW wrote:

I have noticed on these digital measuring tools that temperature
shortens battery life AND not turning it off. ;!)
" My digital TiltBox", sliding it in its soft cover case and
accidentally turning it back on in the process. I have learned to pay
close attention to not pushing where the switches are located when
putting the tools back in their cases.

I have a Mititoyo digital caliper. If I use it daily as usual, the
battery will last about two years. If I let it sit for a couple weeks
without using it, the battery will go dead. BTW, I never turn it off.

My digital calibers, calculator and Wixy angle gauge all go off
automatically. That didn't help my HF calibers though, that battery
was replaced in less than a year. It has the L44 and it came with an
extra battery, which I'm using now. It gets average use, maybe once or
twice a week at most.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Feb 15, 11:55*am, Swingman wrote:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Sliding bevels are for copying or transferring angles.
Readout seems like a needless add on. *At least you'll
still be able to use it as a sliding bevel when the battery
dies. *General? *Hope it's more accurate than the
stamped out General 1/128" vernier caliper I bought
years ago.

You can take the digitally accurate angle and put it onto a miter saw
for a precise cut. *It's tougher and takes longer with a sliding
bevel. *You always nudge the slider with the miter blade while trying
to get the angle right. *DAMHIKT

How well is your miter saw set up?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 17, 9:05*pm, Swingman wrote:
[...]

http://www.craftsmanspace.com/knowle...rotractor.html

At 5 minutes of an arc resolution, more precision than I'll
ever need. True also for the General, but the vernier reads
even if the battery croaks. How well does an electronic
protractor hold up to a dusty environment, like a wood shop?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

My digital calibers, calculator and Wixy angle gauge all go off
automatically. That didn't help my HF calibers though, that battery
was replaced in less than a year. It has the L44 and it came with an
extra battery, which I'm using now. It gets average use, maybe once
or twice a week at most.

My HF digital calipers seemed like they were eating batteries just sitting
on the shelf in the case. I thought that maybe the ON button was getting
hit while closing the case or something, but they have a timeout function
after a couple of minutes of no use, so that wasn't it. Throw a new battery
at it and it was fine - until it sat around again. So one day I took a
smart pill and decided to simply pull that battery and inspect for such
things as corrosion. Nope - none to be seen. Put the same battery back in
and it's been going strong for 2 years now. Although... I do have to pull
it and reseat it from time to time.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:22:01 -0600, Swingman wrote:
calculator of all time ... so much so that I built a holder for it out
of scraps some years back:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...06486789300626

You've got too much time on your hands Karl.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:22:01 -0600, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...06486789300626

BTW, for what purpose are blue tape strips on the cabinet? Decidedly,
the tape is covering some type of putty/plastic wood or similar type
of filler, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what you need
the tape for.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2012 8:57 PM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:22:01 -0600, wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...06486789300626

BTW, for what purpose are blue tape strips on the cabinet? Decidedly,
the tape is covering some type of putty/plastic wood or similar type
of filler, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what you need
the tape for.

ASCII, and you shall receive.

Multi-purpose, time saving, methodology:

Tape is applied, beforehand, to the exact locations on the cabinet parts
were finishing nails are to be shot.

This helps to accurately locate the intended nailing spots, and thus
minimizes the ever present chance of a blowout on visible parts of the
cabinet, which would then have to be repaired.

After the finishing nail is shot, wood filler is applied to the nail
hole, _on top of the tape_ , making for a precise filling of the nail
hole only, with no overspill.

After removal of the tape, this makes for much less cleanup and sanding
needed, particularly handy if the nail hole is on a veneer that may be
thin to start with.

And, strangely enough, actually has somewhat of the effect of making the
precisely filled nail hole less visible after staining and finishing.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:50:29 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell
wrote:

wrote:
On Feb 15, 11:55*am, Swingman wrote:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,50298&p=69055

--www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Sliding bevels are for copying or transferring angles.
Readout seems like a needless add on. *At least you'll
still be able to use it as a sliding bevel when the battery
dies. *General? *Hope it's more accurate than the
stamped out General 1/128" vernier caliper I bought
years ago.

You can take the digitally accurate angle and put it onto a miter saw
for a precise cut. *It's tougher and takes longer with a sliding
bevel. *You always nudge the slider with the miter blade while trying
to get the angle right. *DAMHIKT

How well is your miter saw set up?

blush You just reminded me to take it apart, clean it, and lube it
up while it's sitting idle this winter. But a loose one will do it,
too.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote in :

I have a battery powered volt meter that does ohms, volts and all that
rot. My BIL gave it to me around 1975 and it takes one AA battery,
maybe two. I never changed the battery, it has a white paper label
with no name on it. Still works perfectly. I thought both these
items, my calc and this thing were some sort of freaky thing, but
seems there was a lot of this going around in the 70's. I don't think
this happens any more, am I wrong?

The only thing you've got to keep an eye on is leaking batteries. An
analog meter doesn't need the battery to measure anything but
resistance, so naturally it'll last forever.

Modern batteries should be checked for leaks every so often (9Vs aren't
too bad about it, but AAs are horrible).

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.