Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Digital Sliding T-Bevel

On 2/15/2012 12:22 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Yea I looked at that yesterday, and the thing that hit me was the
accuracy of +-.3 degrees, but a resolution of .05 degrees. Seems odd
that the accuracy is so much further off than the resolution. What good
is .05 resolution if you can only have .3 accuracy. If the accuracy were
.1 I would understand.

I bought one of those Wixy magnetic angle things and they have an
accuracy of .1 degrees. When I got it, I naturally checked my table
saw, jointer and band saw. All 3 were within .1 degrees of perfect. I
had no idea if the gauge or my fences was off, given they have a .1
degree of accuracy. I then noted that if a breathed hard on a fence it
would change .1 degree, meaning .1 degree is more accurate than anyone
needs for wood work.

At that point I questioned it's legitimacy.

I think it would be useful, and more accurate than my current angle
bevel that I use infrequently. The price is good at 20 bucks and on
Amazon, the same gauge is 30 bucks.

The only draw back I see is it must use batteries for a digital readout.
That means when you go to use it, the batteries will be dead. My Wixy
came with an extra battery, or was it my digital caliber? and I already
replaced the battery once. Must have been the caliber, as I only used
Wixy thing once. Also, every single electronic gimmick uses a different
battery. Must be 200 million different styles of watch batteries, one
for each different device.

On that subject, I bought a solar powered, credit card sized calculator
in the 70's. It is my shop calculator and it has a battery because it
works in no light. I never changed the battery, I don't think you can,
but damn the thing works for going on 40 years.

I am interested but after having lost my job yesterday, I'll wait for
your opinions.

That's my opinion and you only had to wait a few days:-)
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com