Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lathe search

I'm considering dipping into the lathe adventure and want to purchase a mini
lathe. What features are necessary and what other specs should I be looking
for? How good is Rikon products? Any name brand to stay away from? Any other
info also appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Justin Time" wrote in message ...

I'm considering dipping into the lathe adventure and want to purchase a mini
lathe. What features are necessary and what other specs should I be looking
for? How good is Rikon products? Any name brand to stay away from? Any other
info also appreciated.
I have a Jet. Mine does not have a variable speed. The variable speed on a
motor that small wastes to much power. Get a belt change type. I have not
used a Rikon but have heard good things about them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I inherited an old lathe and, lately, have been playing with it. I
checked out this forum for advice & info. I'm sure they can offer
some additional info for you, also.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/for...wforum.php?f=5

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Justin Time wrote:

I'm considering dipping into the lathe adventure and want to purchase a
mini lathe. What features are necessary and what other specs should I be
looking for? How good is Rikon products? Any name brand to stay away from?
Any other info also appreciated.

Thank you.

It really depends on where you are in your desire to get into turning. By
that I mean, "Does it just seem like a neat idea, or do you have friends who
turn and have seriously caught the bug?" If the former, (heresy disclaimer
inserted) catch Harbor Freight's mini on sale. You get to turn, find out if
you like it and it does no hit the pocket book so hard.

Also, you will need a set of gouges, Harbor Frieght also has a very
servicable set of gouges (oh, believe me, if you got seriouly bitten by the
bug you will upgrade) that will do very nicely for you while you are
learning.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...esult?q=gouges

(In fact, if you catch the sale right, you can get their 12x36 lathe for a
very reasonable price. Its a knock off of the Jet 12X36. - Again, if you
really have the bug, you will upgrade, but this gets you in without selling
your first born.)

Then a good book/video (I used Raffan's "Turning Wood") to give you some
pointers.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2012 10:21 PM, Justin Time wrote:
I'm considering dipping into the lathe adventure and want to purchase a mini
lathe. What features are necessary and what other specs should I be looking
for? How good is Rikon products? Any name brand to stay away from? Any other
info also appreciated.

Thank you.

I would suggest as inexpensive as you can find and learn. Then upgrade
and make a more educated choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm considering dipping into the lathe adventure and want to purchase a mini
lathe. What features are necessary and what other specs should I be looking
for? How good is Rikon products? Any name brand to stay away from? Any other
info also appreciated.

I have a Jet. Mine does not have a variable speed. The variable speed on a
motor that small wastes to much power. Get a belt change type. I have not
used a Rikon but have heard good things about them. CW

I have a Jet mini w/o the variable speed and it works great. I used
one in a few local classes and decided it was the best for the money.
Most turners in my area have one and/or a larger model. Our local
turning club uses them for all the meetings, demonstrations and
gatherings. Very well made, IMHO.

That being said, it's looking like I am going to have to sell mine
this year. I hate to part with it but between the economy and my
personal health, I just can't spend much time in front of it. I've
already given away a good deal of wood to some club members and, let
me tell you, it's really hard to part with wood, especially stuff like
150 year old pear wood. sigh Oh well, life is what it is.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 23:21:45 -0500, Justin Time wrote:

I'm considering dipping into the lathe adventure and want to purchase a
mini lathe. What features are necessary and what other specs should I be
looking for? How good is Rikon products? Any name brand to stay away
from? Any other info also appreciated.

My personal preference is the little General with the electronic speed
control and swivel head, but it's expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/General-Intern...le-Maxi-Lathe/
dp/B002KHNLZC

When I worked at Woodcraft, we had 3 Jet minis and 3 Rikon minis in the
classroom. The ones without electronic speed control. I liked the Rikon
a little better because belt changing was easier for my large hands, but
both proved they could stand up to heavy class use.

Your best be if you're patient is to look for a used lathe. Craigslist
is a good place to look, Ebay has gotten overpriced.

I agree with another poster's suggestion of the high speed steel tool set
from Harbor Freight. Great for a beginner. You might want to add a bowl
gouge and maybe a larger spindle gouge as you progress.

For that matter, HF's mini lathe looks remarkably like a copy of the
Jet. I have no idea of the quality, but HF does have a pretty good
return policy. Just keep swapping till you get a good one :-).

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed...the-65345.html

Good luck. Try to find a turners club near you - you'll learn a lot
quicker with some help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I asked about Rikon since I have $300 worth of gift cards for Woodcraft and
a Rikon mini lathe cost $399. Comparing it to the other three floor models
yesterday (Two Jets and a Delta), it was cheaper, but had the same HP. The
one Jet VS and the Delta were variable speed. The other Jet mini and the
Rikon were not. The Rikon length was longer than the two Jets but an inch
shorther than the Delta.

I may take the plunge since the overall cost for me is $100.

Thanks for the input.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2012 2:10 PM, Justin Time wrote:
I asked about Rikon since I have $300 worth of gift cards for Woodcraft and
a Rikon mini lathe cost $399. Comparing it to the other three floor models
yesterday (Two Jets and a Delta), it was cheaper, but had the same HP. The
one Jet VS and the Delta were variable speed. The other Jet mini and the
Rikon were not. The Rikon length was longer than the two Jets but an inch
shorther than the Delta.

I may take the plunge since the overall cost for me is $100.

Thanks for the input.

Ummm you will need turning tools, about $300 worth for starters.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 15:10:36 -0500, "Justin Time" wrote:

I asked about Rikon since I have $300 worth of gift cards for Woodcraft and
a Rikon mini lathe cost $399. Comparing it to the other three floor models
yesterday (Two Jets and a Delta), it was cheaper, but had the same HP. The
one Jet VS and the Delta were variable speed. The other Jet mini and the
Rikon were not. The Rikon length was longer than the two Jets but an inch
shorther than the Delta.

Going for the variable speed model? Should be -well- worth the extra
$30. http://tinyurl.com/6thm8bf

I may take the plunge since the overall cost for me is $100.

What turning tools do you have now? It appears that none comes with
the lathe. HF used to have a halfway decent $10 set but it's $60 now.
$30 in the Amazone: http://tinyurl.com/6vel9ed Start with those,
figure out which you want/need to spend some real money on, and
upgrade only those gouges.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I did neglect the turning tools cost, but upon the advice given, I'll
start with the HF tools or the Amazon as you listed.

Thank you

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

The Rikon on Amazon is actually cheaper than the one in the store.
Unfortunately, unless I can use my Woodcraft gift cards somehow with Amazon,
I will have to purchase at the store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/12 4:45 PM, Justin Time wrote:
Yes, I did neglect the turning tools cost, but upon the advice given, I'll
start with the HF tools or the Amazon as you listed.

Thank you

Any HSS tools will work great until you start to notice the difference
in better steel.
But, you may want to go ahead and spend the rest of the $300 Leon
suggested on sharpening tools. Sharpening tools are multi-taskers so you
will use them on more than just turning tools, even if you decide you
don't like turning. And if you end up loving turning and upgrade to
higher quality turning tools, you'll already have the sharpening tools.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2012 4:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/5/12 4:45 PM, Justin Time wrote:
Yes, I did neglect the turning tools cost, but upon the advice given,
I'll
start with the HF tools or the Amazon as you listed.

Thank you

Any HSS tools will work great until you start to notice the difference
in better steel.
But, you may want to go ahead and spend the rest of the $300 Leon
suggested on sharpening tools. Sharpening tools are multi-taskers so you
will use them on more than just turning tools, even if you decide you
don't like turning. And if you end up loving turning and upgrade to
higher quality turning tools, you'll already have the sharpening tools.

I have several 15~20 turning tools and I hate sharpening. I am really
seeing a lot of a new brand that never needs to be sharpened. They have
replaceable carbide teeth tips and some have 4 new cutting edges. IIRC
about $15 for replacement cutters. IIRC Craig of Kreg tools has
introduced this line. Only need about $500 total for all the basic styles.

http://www.easywoodtools.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
news
On 2/5/2012 2:10 PM, Justin Time wrote:
I asked about Rikon since I have $300 worth of gift cards for
Woodcraft and a Rikon mini lathe cost $399. Comparing it to the other
three floor models yesterday (Two Jets and a Delta), it was cheaper,
but had the same HP. The one Jet VS and the Delta were variable
speed. The other Jet mini and the Rikon were not. The Rikon length
was longer than the two Jets but an inch shorther than the Delta.

I may take the plunge since the overall cost for me is $100.

Thanks for the input.

Ummm you will need turning tools, about $300 worth for starters.

Indeed, he needs turning tools, but there's no reason they have to be *that* expensive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 17:47:11 -0500, "Justin Time" wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I saw that, but the VS is only available through Woodcraft via Amazon,
evidently.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/12 7:25 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/5/2012 4:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

That is VERY intriguing as I also hate sharpening.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:18:45 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

HF used to have a halfway decent $10 set but it's $60 now. $30 in the
Amazone: http://tinyurl.com/6vel9ed

Those are "mini" tools, Larry. A 1/4" roughing gouge? A 1/8" spindle
gouge? etc.. Good for turning pens and such, but not much good for
general spindle turning. And zilch for faceplate turning.

For a set, the HF is the best for the money. But all the OP really needs
to start turning is:

diamond parting tool
3/4" or 1" roughing gouge
3/8" or 1/2" spindle gouge
1/2" or 3/4" round nose scraper

In a pinch, he could make do with a spindle gouge and a parting tool, but
that gets old pretty quick. When he gets around to bowl (faceplate)
turning he can add a 1/2" bowl gouge.

But don't listen to me, here's a list from the local turners club:

http://www.inwwoodturners.com/contro...20Woodturners%
20Beginners%20Tool%20List.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 19:25:08 -0600, Leon wrote:

I have several 15~20 turning tools and I hate sharpening. I am really
seeing a lot of a new brand that never needs to be sharpened. They have
replaceable carbide teeth tips and some have 4 new cutting edges. IIRC
about $15 for replacement cutters. IIRC Craig of Kreg tools has
introduced this line. Only need about $500 total for all the basic
styles.

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Here's another source - somewhat lower prices:

http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/Tools.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2012 6:25 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/5/2012 4:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I have the Easywood Mini finisher - it's the only tool I use anymore for
pen turning. Works great!

Matt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2012 7:31 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
news
On 2/5/2012 2:10 PM, Justin Time wrote:
I asked about Rikon since I have $300 worth of gift cards for
Woodcraft and a Rikon mini lathe cost $399. Comparing it to the other
three floor models yesterday (Two Jets and a Delta), it was cheaper,
but had the same HP. The one Jet VS and the Delta were variable
speed. The other Jet mini and the Rikon were not. The Rikon length
was longer than the two Jets but an inch shorther than the Delta.

I may take the plunge since the overall cost for me is $100.

Thanks for the input.

Ummm you will need turning tools, about $300 worth for starters.

Indeed, he needs turning tools, but there's no reason they have to be *that* expensive.

Well, probably not but if he gets into it the good tools work better and
he will probably want at least a few better tools.
Especially if he wants a better chuck, calipers...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2012 10:18 PM, Matt wrote:
On 2/5/2012 6:25 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/5/2012 4:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Great, I have heard nothing but good comments about the tools. Do they
work well on the more exotic materials like the plastics, coffee beans,
money blanks, etc?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2012 9:17 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 19:25:08 -0600, Leon wrote:

I have several 15~20 turning tools and I hate sharpening. I am really
seeing a lot of a new brand that never needs to be sharpened. They have
replaceable carbide teeth tips and some have 4 new cutting edges. IIRC
about $15 for replacement cutters. IIRC Craig of Kreg tools has
introduced this line. Only need about $500 total for all the basic
styles.

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Here's another source - somewhat lower prices:

http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/Tools.htm

Their replacement carbide tips certainly are a lot less expensive, looks
to be 1/2.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/2012 5:13 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/5/2012 10:18 PM, Matt wrote:
On 2/5/2012 6:25 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/5/2012 4:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I much prefer it for the plastics and acrylics, even the Tru Stone
blanks - cuts like the proverbial hot knife thru butter. As with all
such blanks, you can still get chips now and then, just watch closely as
you get down to the final shape. I've been known to put any tool aside
and switch to 150 grit sandpaper if I have any doubts about it at that
point, and I've been told I have a very soft touch with lathe tools.
The only time I switch back to a regular chisel is when doing tenons on
those pen styles that require them. Be aware that it can be a very
aggressive tool, so "tread lightly" when first using it until you get a
good feel for it.

Here's a link to my Etsy shop; all of the pens shown were turned using
the Easywood mini finisher (including the few wood ones).

http://www.etsy.com/shop/emcefyrs

Matt

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 03:11:06 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:18:45 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

HF used to have a halfway decent $10 set but it's $60 now. $30 in the
Amazone: http://tinyurl.com/6vel9ed

Those are "mini" tools, Larry. A 1/4" roughing gouge? A 1/8" spindle
gouge? etc.. Good for turning pens and such, but not much good for
general spindle turning. And zilch for faceplate turning.

Wull, um, he's buying a mini-lathe, isn't he?

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 06:17:16 -0600, Leon wrote:

On 2/5/2012 9:17 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Here's another source - somewhat lower prices:

http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/Tools.htm

Their replacement carbide tips certainly are a lot less expensive, looks
to be 1/2.

I bought the rougher (unhandled) a couple of years ago along with extra
tips. I've been happy with it. The guy who makes them (IIRC, he's a
retired machinist) says he's sold them all over the world. If you have
any questions give him a call - he's a friendly cuss.

I like the looks of his new combo tool - I may have to save up for it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 06:05:03 -0600, Leon wrote:

Well, probably not but if he gets into it the good tools work better and
he will probably want at least a few better tools. Especially if he
wants a better chuck, calipers...

Don't discourage the poor guy, Leon. We all know the tool companies
should give away free lathes :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 15:10:36 -0500, "Justin Time" wrote:

I asked about Rikon since I have $300 worth of gift cards for Woodcraft and
a Rikon mini lathe cost $399. Comparing it to the other three floor models
yesterday (Two Jets and a Delta), it was cheaper, but had the same HP. The
one Jet VS and the Delta were variable speed. The other Jet mini and the
Rikon were not. The Rikon length was longer than the two Jets but an inch
shorther than the Delta.

I may take the plunge since the overall cost for me is $100.

Thanks for the input.

I have the Rikon (but not the latest iteration). I think it was a good
purchase. I haven't compared it to the Jet and others.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/2012 11:33 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 06:05:03 -0600, Leon wrote:

Well, probably not but if he gets into it the good tools work better and
he will probably want at least a few better tools. Especially if he
wants a better chuck, calipers...

Don't discourage the poor guy, Leon. We all know the tool companies
should give away free lathes :-).

Not trying to discourage him, just prepare him. The Lathe is only the
first installment to turning. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/2012 11:31 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 06:17:16 -0600, Leon wrote:

On 2/5/2012 9:17 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Here's another source - somewhat lower prices:

http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/Tools.htm

Their replacement carbide tips certainly are a lot less expensive, looks
to be 1/2.

I bought the rougher (unhandled) a couple of years ago along with extra
tips. I've been happy with it. The guy who makes them (IIRC, he's a
retired machinist) says he's sold them all over the world. If you have
any questions give him a call - he's a friendly cuss.

I like the looks of his new combo tool - I may have to save up for it.

So Larry how long comparatively do the carbide tips last would you say?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/2012 9:21 AM, Matt wrote:

[...]

Thank YOU I had left out the tru stone blanks but meant to ask so
thanks for covering that. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 14:34:43 -0600, Leon wrote:

On 2/6/2012 11:31 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 06:17:16 -0600, Leon wrote:

On 2/5/2012 9:17 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Here's another source - somewhat lower prices:

http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/Tools.htm

Their replacement carbide tips certainly are a lot less expensive,
looks to be 1/2.

I bought the rougher (unhandled) a couple of years ago along with extra
tips. I've been happy with it. The guy who makes them (IIRC, he's a
retired machinist) says he's sold them all over the world. If you have
any questions give him a call - he's a friendly cuss.

I like the looks of his new combo tool - I may have to save up for it.

So Larry how long comparatively do the carbide tips last would you say?

I'm probably not the person to ask. I was only turning about 4-8 hours a
week and then I got sidetracked into building a dulcimer. I haven't
turned anything but a handle for a veneer hammer in months.

But based on my limited experience, I'd say about 8 hours of actual use
per side, or 32 for an entire tip. Of course that depends a lot on the
wood. I was turning mostly domestic hardwoods - something like jatoba or
lignum vitae would be a lot harder on tip life.

(interesting - the Pan spell checker flagged jatoba but not lignum vitae)

I've heard comments that you can't sharpen the tips. I see no reason why
use of a diamond hone wouldn't extend tip life. When I run out of sharp
tips I plan on trying it. If I was smart, I'd touch up the tip after
each use the way I do with router bits, but I never seem to think of it
at the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 2/5/2012 10:18 PM, Matt wrote:
On 2/5/2012 6:25 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/5/2012 4:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

They will work well anyplace any other scraper would work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 2/5/2012 9:17 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 19:25:08 -0600, Leon wrote:

I have several 15~20 turning tools and I hate sharpening. I am really
seeing a lot of a new brand that never needs to be sharpened. They have
replaceable carbide teeth tips and some have 4 new cutting edges. IIRC
about $15 for replacement cutters. IIRC Craig of Kreg tools has
introduced this line. Only need about $500 total for all the basic
styles.

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Here's another source - somewhat lower prices:

http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/Tools.htm

Their replacement carbide tips certainly are a lot less expensive, looks
to be 1/2.
Take an insert and go down to an industrial supply that serves machines
shops. Have them match it up. Much cheaper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 5, 7:25 pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I have several 15~20 turning tools and I hate sharpening. I am really
seeing a lot of a new brand that never needs to be sharpened. They have
replaceable carbide teeth tips and some have 4 new cutting edges. IIRC
about $15 for replacement cutters.

Leon - what is it that gets you on sharpening? Spindle gouges,
roughing gouges, bowl gouges.... skews?

When I the turning bug really bad, I turned a few hours a week for
several years. No piece of wood was safe, especially interesting FOG
wood. (Found On Ground. ;^) )

I taught beginning and intermediate turning, and (of course)
finishing. Part of my class was sharpening, and I taught how to use
the Wolverine jig as well as homemade versions of the same for various
gouges. I have turned enough personally that I sharpen freehand.

At the time our club was very active and we were able to afford some
internationally known, excellent turners to come demonstrate for our
club. Most were **great** guys, and even though they were masters of
their craft, completely without pretense. Ask 'em anything, and they
would tell you. Sharpening was always a hot topic, and they helped me
get over any qualms about grinding my tools. I studied their tool
edges carefully; never saw a perfect grind in my ten years at the
club. Never. Not once, ever, did I see any gouge or chisel ground to
look like those beautiful grinds from the factory.

Most were faceted, some kind of lopsided, and depending on the tool,
just awful. Nonetheless, their work was superb. Collectively, their
idea was that they sharpened to get the edge they wanted, and when
that was gone, it was right back to the grinder for a touch up. They
never fussed over an edge until they were at the finishing stage of
things, and even then stressed a light touch over a supersharp tool.
And being freehand sharpeners, they sharpened some wild profiles on
their tools, and encouraged all of us to do the same.

I set aside my Sorby and other expensive tools, and found these tools

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCAN6M.html

that are an excellent value for midi users. (On sale I see, too!)

For a bigger lathe, I would tell the guys to get certain (or sets if
on sale) from this selection:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/wo...ing-tools.html

Their tools are M2 high speed steel, and they hold their edges well
and are easy to sharpen. That gave me the space to grind away on
tools without thinking that every missed grind cost me $5 worth of
steel. And I like their profiles so much (the gullets aren't so damn
closed on their bowl gouges) I have happily bought many of their tools
as preferred users.

In a rare stroke of inspiration, I had my students practice on
something even cheaper. I had them get 1/4". 3/8" and 1/2" low carb
steel rod from our local
supplier, cut it into 10" lengths, and mount their "blanks" into a
handle they turned. Then they could practice their sharpening on a
piece of very inexpensive steel rod, not on a tool. This turned out
to be very successful for some of them, and they learned spindle
turning (handle), making their own tools, and sharpening in one
project.

My only bugaboo is the skew. I can sharpen all of mine until you can
literally shave hair. They are as sharp as my pocket knives. But
unless it is a planing cut, I can't get it. When we had "open house"
which was a chance for all of us to bring the tool(s) we couldn't use
to get help from other turners, it was always the skew. I don't know
what it is I can't see when using it, and it is really, really
frustrating. I can use the tool when my skew buddy was standing there
telling me to raise or lower my elbow, change my approach angle, or to
angle the blade a certain way. By the time I got home, it was all
lost. After hours and hours of failed attempts, I have given up. My
skew is now used to open paint cans, scrape paint, knock the mud off
my boots, weed the yard, etc.

Just kidding.

I now use what is known as the 180 grit skew in the form of sanding
tape.

The tools you are looking at are machinist tools, and you can find
many of the "bits" in a machinist's catalog. They are plentiful and
cheap. They can be resharpened with diamond files like these

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/206...tone-Fine.aspx

and their brothers. The only thing I don't like about those is the
fact that they are still scrapers, not cutters. I have seen some
lovely work in the right hands when using those tools, but never
finish grade work. They do make excellent shape roughing tools, as
well as the opposite end, detailing like rings, beads, etc, if you
have enough room to get the holder in place.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

On Feb 5, 7:25 pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

The tools you are looking at are machinist tools, and you can find
many of the "bits" in a machinist's catalog. They are plentiful and
cheap. They can be resharpened with diamond files like these

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/206...tone-Fine.aspx

and their brothers. The only thing I don't like about those is the
fact that they are still scrapers, not cutters. I have seen some
lovely work in the right hands when using those tools, but never
finish grade work. They do make excellent shape roughing tools, as
well as the opposite end, detailing like rings, beads, etc, if you
have enough room to get the holder in place.

Robert
================================================== =======================================
I wondered why it was that so many dissed scrapers but seemed to think these
were great. A scraper is a scraper no matter the material it is made of.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/2012 8:40 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

I rarely turn and and in my hey day a few years ago it was mostly pens.
I turn if a project requires it but seldom for the sake of turning
because of the trouble of sharpening. That could change. ;~)

But based on my limited experience, I'd say about 8 hours of actual use
per side, or 32 for an entire tip. Of course that depends a lot on the
wood. I was turning mostly domestic hardwoods - something like jatoba or
lignum vitae would be a lot harder on tip life.

I have to wonder how often you would resharpen a standard tool with 32
hours of turning, or 8 for that matter.

(interesting - the Pan spell checker flagged jatoba but not lignum vitae)

I've heard comments that you can't sharpen the tips. I see no reason why
use of a diamond hone wouldn't extend tip life. When I run out of sharp
tips I plan on trying it. If I was smart, I'd touch up the tip after
each use the way I do with router bits, but I never seem to think of it
at the time.

Concerning the sharpening of the tips issue, it is probably an
associated reference to sharpening the typical carbide saw blade.
Carbide would be much harder to reshape compared to the typical turning
tool. I certainly would try the diamond hone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/2012 9:19 PM, CW wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

On 2/5/2012 9:17 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 19:25:08 -0600, Leon wrote:

I have several 15~20 turning tools and I hate sharpening. I am really
seeing a lot of a new brand that never needs to be sharpened. They have
replaceable carbide teeth tips and some have 4 new cutting edges. IIRC
about $15 for replacement cutters. IIRC Craig of Kreg tools has
introduced this line. Only need about $500 total for all the basic
styles.

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Here's another source - somewhat lower prices:

http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/Tools.htm

Their replacement carbide tips certainly are a lot less expensive, looks
to be 1/2.
Take an insert and go down to an industrial supply that serves machines
shops. Have them match it up. Much cheaper.

Any major name suppliers come to mind?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/2012 9:11 PM, CW wrote:

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

I have the Easywood Mini finisher - it's the only tool I use anymore for
pen turning. Works great!

Matt

Great, I have heard nothing but good comments about the tools. Do they
work well on the more exotic materials like the plastics, coffee beans,
money blanks, etc?
They will work well anyplace any other scraper would work.

I was concerned about the more brittle nature of carbide when turning
stone or metal.