Posted to rec.woodworking
Dr. Deb[_3_] Dr. Deb[_3_] is offline

Default Lathe search

Justin Time wrote:

I'm considering dipping into the lathe adventure and want to purchase a
mini lathe. What features are necessary and what other specs should I be
looking for? How good is Rikon products? Any name brand to stay away from?
Any other info also appreciated.

Thank you.

It really depends on where you are in your desire to get into turning. By
that I mean, "Does it just seem like a neat idea, or do you have friends who
turn and have seriously caught the bug?" If the former, (heresy disclaimer
inserted) catch Harbor Freight's mini on sale. You get to turn, find out if
you like it and it does no hit the pocket book so hard.

Also, you will need a set of gouges, Harbor Frieght also has a very
servicable set of gouges (oh, believe me, if you got seriouly bitten by the
bug you will upgrade) that will do very nicely for you while you are
learning.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...esult?q=gouges

(In fact, if you catch the sale right, you can get their 12x36 lathe for a
very reasonable price. Its a knock off of the Jet 12X36. - Again, if you
really have the bug, you will upgrade, but this gets you in without selling
your first born.)

Then a good book/video (I used Raffan's "Turning Wood") to give you some
pointers.

Deb