Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Lathe search

On 2/5/2012 7:31 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
news
On 2/5/2012 2:10 PM, Justin Time wrote:
I asked about Rikon since I have $300 worth of gift cards for
Woodcraft and a Rikon mini lathe cost $399. Comparing it to the other
three floor models yesterday (Two Jets and a Delta), it was cheaper,
but had the same HP. The one Jet VS and the Delta were variable
speed. The other Jet mini and the Rikon were not. The Rikon length
was longer than the two Jets but an inch shorther than the Delta.

I may take the plunge since the overall cost for me is $100.

Thanks for the input.

Ummm you will need turning tools, about $300 worth for starters.

Indeed, he needs turning tools, but there's no reason they have to be *that* expensive.

Well, probably not but if he gets into it the good tools work better and
he will probably want at least a few better tools.
Especially if he wants a better chuck, calipers...