Posted to rec.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default Lathe search

I'm considering dipping into the lathe adventure and want to purchase a mini
lathe. What features are necessary and what other specs should I be looking
for? How good is Rikon products? Any name brand to stay away from? Any other
info also appreciated.

I have a Jet. Mine does not have a variable speed. The variable speed on a
motor that small wastes to much power. Get a belt change type. I have not
used a Rikon but have heard good things about them. CW

I have a Jet mini w/o the variable speed and it works great. I used
one in a few local classes and decided it was the best for the money.
Most turners in my area have one and/or a larger model. Our local
turning club uses them for all the meetings, demonstrations and
gatherings. Very well made, IMHO.

That being said, it's looking like I am going to have to sell mine
this year. I hate to part with it but between the economy and my
personal health, I just can't spend much time in front of it. I've
already given away a good deal of wood to some club members and, let
me tell you, it's really hard to part with wood, especially stuff like
150 year old pear wood. sigh Oh well, life is what it is.