Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home made lathe - part search

Id like to build my own ww lathe. Its got to be small ( turn up to 5 or
6 inch pieces), tabletop version, but sturdy. I have the washing
machine motor waiting, and will weld a base (or use black piping.
havent yet decided). The rest will be metal (no wood on this one).
Questions a
1. anyone know of an online source (Im not from the US) to get the
basic parts (only essentials such as bearings and...)?
2. What parts do I need (and dont say pillow block and such. Not
familiar with the terms unless you describe them. Sorry)?
3. Can I manage with a single speed lathe or is it imperative to have a
pulley system (and then what parts are required)?
Thanks again,
Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max63 wrote:
Id like to build my own ww lathe. Its got to be small ( turn up to 5 or
6 inch pieces), tabletop version, but sturdy. I have the washing
machine motor waiting, and will weld a base (or use black piping.
havent yet decided). The rest will be metal (no wood on this one).
Questions a
1. anyone know of an online source (Im not from the US) to get the
basic parts (only essentials such as bearings and...)?
2. What parts do I need (and dont say pillow block and such. Not
familiar with the terms unless you describe them. Sorry)?
3. Can I manage with a single speed lathe or is it imperative to have a
pulley system (and then what parts are required)?
Thanks again,
Max

You are asking for some pretty finite information on a huge subject.
But the internet is here to help. A two second search revealed:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/3jdw8/latheoutside2.htm
and
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/a-lth_kr.htm

with about 200 others when using Google search parameters "homemade
lathe". I am sure that "shop built lathe" "home built lathe", etc.
will be equally successful.

Robert