Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Lathe search

On 2/6/2012 9:21 AM, Matt wrote:

Great, I have heard nothing but good comments about the tools. Do they
work well on the more exotic materials like the plastics, coffee beans,
money blanks, etc?

I much prefer it for the plastics and acrylics, even the Tru Stone
blanks - cuts like the proverbial hot knife thru butter. As with all
such blanks, you can still get chips now and then, just watch closely as
you get down to the final shape. I've been known to put any tool aside
and switch to 150 grit sandpaper if I have any doubts about it at that
point, and I've been told I have a very soft touch with lathe tools. The
only time I switch back to a regular chisel is when doing tenons on
those pen styles that require them. Be aware that it can be a very
aggressive tool, so "tread lightly" when first using it until you get a
good feel for it.

Here's a link to my Etsy shop; all of the pens shown were turned using
the Easywood mini finisher (including the few wood ones).

http://www.etsy.com/shop/emcefyrs

Matt

Thank YOU I had left out the tru stone blanks but meant to ask so
thanks for covering that. ;~)