Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Home made lathe - part search

Id like to build my own ww lathe. Its got to be small ( turn up to
8 inch pieces), tabletop version, but sturdy. I have the washing
machine motor waiting, and will weld a base (or use black piping.
havent yet decided). The rest will be metal (no wood on this one).
Questions a
1. anyone know of an online source (Im not from the US) to get the
basic parts (only essentials such as bearings and...)?
2. What parts do I need (and dont say pillow block and such. Not
familiar with the terms unless you describe them. Sorry)?
3. Can I manage with a single speed lathe or is it imperative to have a

pulley system (and then what parts are required)?
4. minimum horse-power for small bowls, lamp posts and chess parts?
Thanks again,
Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Max,

I see you are taking this seriously... good for you!
Single speed is good for most things, people have worked for years with
single speed lathes (multiple speed is no doubt better...).

If you have knowledge with metalworking it realy helps, I can't help
you there, look at pictures of existing lathes and try to see how you
prefer to build it.

Bearings:
Depends what you need, here is a link for a good resource (I think)
http://stores.ebay.com/BEARING-BARGA...Q3amesstQQtZkm

I'll let the other folks here give better advice, all I can say is good
luck. Also, same as the single Vs. multiple speed, other things that
are essential to lathe working (mandrels, centers etc...) can be made
cheaper - again quality does count - but you can start with less than a
Oneway and do fine.

Moshe

Max63 wrote:
Id like to build my own ww lathe. Its got to be small ( turn up to
8 inch pieces), tabletop version, but sturdy. I have the washing
machine motor waiting, and will weld a base (or use black piping.
havent yet decided). The rest will be metal (no wood on this one).
Questions a
1. anyone know of an online source (Im not from the US) to get the
basic parts (only essentials such as bearings and...)?
2. What parts do I need (and dont say pillow block and such. Not
familiar with the terms unless you describe them. Sorry)?
3. Can I manage with a single speed lathe or is it imperative to have a

pulley system (and then what parts are required)?
4. minimum horse-power for small bowls, lamp posts and chess parts?
Thanks again,
Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

McMaster-Carr ( http://www.mcmaster.com/ ) will have most of what you
need and should ship outside the USA.

You will have to look up things like sealed bearing, pillow block and
pulley or sheave (another word for pulley--really the groove the V-belt
rides in), keyway, woodruff key, etc. so get out your dictionary!

Another good resource is Reid Tool supply
https://reidecom.reidtool.com/xephr/qbe/homepage
sometimes more pricey, but they have oddball knobs & threaded things a
lot of other catalogs don't have

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Max,

You might consider building your lathe around the variable speed motor and
its electronic control found in any salvage treadmill . . . the type machine
used for exercise running indoors. I recently picked up a treadmill at a
local thrift store for $5 and discarded all but the motor, the controls and
the two bearing mounted rollers on which the treadmill belt is mounted.
This approach would eliminate the need for a pulley system to change turning
speed. The treadmill I salvaged even has a digital window showing the
speed. I plan to build a lathe to be used for applying finish on pens while
still on the mandrel and keep the main lathe clean.

Pat

"Max63" wrote in message
ps.com...
Id like to build my own ww lathe. Its got to be small ( turn up to
8 inch pieces), tabletop version, but sturdy. I have the washing
machine motor waiting, and will weld a base (or use black piping.
havent yet decided). The rest will be metal (no wood on this one).
Questions a
1. anyone know of an online source (Im not from the US) to get the

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Max

If you are not in the metal working business, and have the knowledge an
tools to fabricate a lathe, then I would advice you to have a good look
at the small lathes that are available for very little money, and they
work well, you can get parts if needed and al the needed/wanted
accessories also, if you have someone else doing the needed machining
and/or welding you will be hard pressed first off to make a good
working lathe, and I would almost guarantee you that it will cost you
more money than buying one of those minnie lathes, unless you have a
buddy/friend with the tools and knowledge, willing to do a lot of work
for very little money.

Have a look, and yes I know money doesn't grow on trees, but wood does
G, and this little lathe will do a nice job for you for very little
money.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tclpro.html

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum4.html
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Max63 wrote:
Id like to build my own ww lathe. Its got to be small ( turn up to
8 inch pieces), tabletop version, but sturdy. I have the washing
machine motor waiting, and will weld a base (or use black piping.
havent yet decided). The rest will be metal (no wood on this one).
Questions a
1. anyone know of an online source (Im not from the US) to get the
basic parts (only essentials such as bearings and...)?
2. What parts do I need (and dont say pillow block and such. Not
familiar with the terms unless you describe them. Sorry)?
3. Can I manage with a single speed lathe or is it imperative to have a

pulley system (and then what parts are required)?
4. minimum horse-power for small bowls, lamp posts and chess parts?
Thanks again,
Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for all tips, so far.
* Treadmill for 5$ ?!?! Wish I could find one for 100$ Would start
exercising at last.
* Pennstate lathe for 187$? Thats about the local price for a mini.
Still, am aiming at half the sum - both for for the challenge and not
to rock SWMBO's world just now.
* I wrote the part suppliers for help. Will update the group.
Any other tips or photos of actual success, welcomed.
thanks again...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Max,

When I retired in 1993, I built a foot powered lathe to use for
demonstrations at craft fairs. It worked quite well until my leg gave
out. I then installed a washing machine motor that I had on hand
without step pullies. I used it for another year or two until the price
for a Carbatec lathe dropped below $200. I think it cost be about
$50.00 to build the lathe originally. I purchased a Sears lathe spindle
and a pair of pillow blocks that fit the lathe shaft. Everything else
was made from scrap wood or iron that I had on hand. I published a
story on making this lathe in More Woodturning in 1997, I believe. If
you have a high speed internet connection for receipt of e-mail, I
could send you a PDF of that story.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

Max63 wrote:
Id like to build my own ww lathe. Its got to be small ( turn up to
8 inch pieces), tabletop version, but sturdy. I have the washing
machine motor waiting, and will weld a base (or use black piping.
havent yet decided). The rest will be metal (no wood on this one).
Questions a
1. anyone know of an online source (Im not from the US) to get the
basic parts (only essentials such as bearings and...)?
2. What parts do I need (and dont say pillow block and such. Not
familiar with the terms unless you describe them. Sorry)?
3. Can I manage with a single speed lathe or is it imperative to have a

pulley system (and then what parts are required)?
4. minimum horse-power for small bowls, lamp posts and chess parts?
Thanks again,
Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I sold a whole bunch of saw arbors for around $35 each (they were new) - you
can get these things off of old table saws, etc - that is the essence of
what you need - then just add a pulley and a washing machine motor and make
the rest of wood or scrap angle iron.
"Max63" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for all tips, so far.
* Treadmill for 5$ ?!?! Wish I could find one for 100$ Would start
exercising at last.
* Pennstate lathe for 187$? Thats about the local price for a mini.
Still, am aiming at half the sum - both for for the challenge and not
to rock SWMBO's world just now.
* I wrote the part suppliers for help. Will update the group.
Any other tips or photos of actual success, welcomed.
thanks again...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Home made lathe

Please tell me more about this. I am disabled and am looking to learn
how to turn pens and other small items for extra income. I saw PSI's
dvd about it and can't really afford to buy a pen-lathe new right now.

Troy
Hello Max,

You might consider building your lathe around the variable speed motor and
its electronic control found in any salvage treadmill . . . the type machine
used for exercise running indoors. I recently picked up a treadmill at a
local thrift store for $5 and discarded all but the motor, the controls and
the two bearing mounted rollers on which the treadmill belt is mounted.
This approach would eliminate the need for a pulley system to change turning
speed. The treadmill I salvaged even has a digital window showing the
speed. I plan to build a lathe to be used for applying finish on pens while
still on the mandrel and keep the main lathe clean.

Pat

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

actually, exactly like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300002673851 (of
course it's sold, but you can see what the selling price was) - I'm sure
that there are more like them - I use one to hold a good sized wire brush
driven by a 1 hp motor - great for descaling stuff

oups.com...