Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel Moshe Eshel is offline

Default Home made lathe - part search

Hi Max,

I see you are taking this seriously... good for you!
Single speed is good for most things, people have worked for years with
single speed lathes (multiple speed is no doubt better...).

If you have knowledge with metalworking it realy helps, I can't help
you there, look at pictures of existing lathes and try to see how you
prefer to build it.

Bearings:
Depends what you need, here is a link for a good resource (I think)
http://stores.ebay.com/BEARING-BARGA...Q3amesstQQtZkm

I'll let the other folks here give better advice, all I can say is good
luck. Also, same as the single Vs. multiple speed, other things that
are essential to lathe working (mandrels, centers etc...) can be made
cheaper - again quality does count - but you can start with less than a
Oneway and do fine.

Moshe

Max63 wrote:
Id like to build my own ww lathe. Its got to be small ( turn up to
8 inch pieces), tabletop version, but sturdy. I have the washing
machine motor waiting, and will weld a base (or use black piping.
havent yet decided). The rest will be metal (no wood on this one).
Questions a
1. anyone know of an online source (Im not from the US) to get the
basic parts (only essentials such as bearings and...)?
2. What parts do I need (and dont say pillow block and such. Not
familiar with the terms unless you describe them. Sorry)?
3. Can I manage with a single speed lathe or is it imperative to have a

pulley system (and then what parts are required)?
4. minimum horse-power for small bowls, lamp posts and chess parts?
Thanks again,
Max