Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Home made lathe - part search

Id like to build my own ww lathe. Its got to be small ( turn up to
8 inch pieces), tabletop version, but sturdy. I have the washing
machine motor waiting, and will weld a base (or use black piping.
havent yet decided). The rest will be metal (no wood on this one).
Questions a
1. anyone know of an online source (Im not from the US) to get the
basic parts (only essentials such as bearings and...)?
2. What parts do I need (and dont say pillow block and such. Not
familiar with the terms unless you describe them. Sorry)?
3. Can I manage with a single speed lathe or is it imperative to have a

pulley system (and then what parts are required)?
4. minimum horse-power for small bowls, lamp posts and chess parts?
Thanks again,
Max