Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Home made lathe - part search

Hi Max

If you are not in the metal working business, and have the knowledge an
tools to fabricate a lathe, then I would advice you to have a good look
at the small lathes that are available for very little money, and they
work well, you can get parts if needed and al the needed/wanted
accessories also, if you have someone else doing the needed machining
and/or welding you will be hard pressed first off to make a good
working lathe, and I would almost guarantee you that it will cost you
more money than buying one of those minnie lathes, unless you have a
buddy/friend with the tools and knowledge, willing to do a lot of work
for very little money.

Have a look, and yes I know money doesn't grow on trees, but wood does
G, and this little lathe will do a nice job for you for very little
money.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tclpro.html

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum4.html
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Max63 wrote:
Id like to build my own ww lathe. Its got to be small ( turn up to
8 inch pieces), tabletop version, but sturdy. I have the washing
machine motor waiting, and will weld a base (or use black piping.
havent yet decided). The rest will be metal (no wood on this one).
Questions a
1. anyone know of an online source (Im not from the US) to get the
basic parts (only essentials such as bearings and...)?
2. What parts do I need (and dont say pillow block and such. Not
familiar with the terms unless you describe them. Sorry)?
3. Can I manage with a single speed lathe or is it imperative to have a

pulley system (and then what parts are required)?
4. minimum horse-power for small bowls, lamp posts and chess parts?
Thanks again,
Max