Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
bear bear is offline

Default Home made lathe

Please tell me more about this. I am disabled and am looking to learn
how to turn pens and other small items for extra income. I saw PSI's
dvd about it and can't really afford to buy a pen-lathe new right now.

Troy
Hello Max,

You might consider building your lathe around the variable speed motor and
its electronic control found in any salvage treadmill . . . the type machine
used for exercise running indoors. I recently picked up a treadmill at a
local thrift store for $5 and discarded all but the motor, the controls and
the two bearing mounted rollers on which the treadmill belt is mounted.
This approach would eliminate the need for a pulley system to change turning
speed. The treadmill I salvaged even has a digital window showing the
speed. I plan to build a lathe to be used for applying finish on pens while
still on the mandrel and keep the main lathe clean.

Pat