Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lathe search

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 23:21:45 -0500, Justin Time wrote:

I'm considering dipping into the lathe adventure and want to purchase a
mini lathe. What features are necessary and what other specs should I be
looking for? How good is Rikon products? Any name brand to stay away
from? Any other info also appreciated.

My personal preference is the little General with the electronic speed
control and swivel head, but it's expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/General-Intern...le-Maxi-Lathe/
dp/B002KHNLZC

When I worked at Woodcraft, we had 3 Jet minis and 3 Rikon minis in the
classroom. The ones without electronic speed control. I liked the Rikon
a little better because belt changing was easier for my large hands, but
both proved they could stand up to heavy class use.

Your best be if you're patient is to look for a used lathe. Craigslist
is a good place to look, Ebay has gotten overpriced.

I agree with another poster's suggestion of the high speed steel tool set
from Harbor Freight. Great for a beginner. You might want to add a bowl
gouge and maybe a larger spindle gouge as you progress.

For that matter, HF's mini lathe looks remarkably like a copy of the
Jet. I have no idea of the quality, but HF does have a pretty good
return policy. Just keep swapping till you get a good one :-).

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed...the-65345.html

Good luck. Try to find a turners club near you - you'll learn a lot
quicker with some help.