Posted to rec.woodworking
Justin Time[_2_] Justin Time[_2_] is offline

Default Lathe search

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 15:10:36 -0500, "Justin Time" wrote:

I asked about Rikon since I have $300 worth of gift cards for Woodcraft
and
a Rikon mini lathe cost $399. Comparing it to the other three floor models
yesterday (Two Jets and a Delta), it was cheaper, but had the same HP. The
one Jet VS and the Delta were variable speed. The other Jet mini and the
Rikon were not. The Rikon length was longer than the two Jets but an inch
shorther than the Delta.

Going for the variable speed model? Should be -well- worth the extra
$30. http://tinyurl.com/6thm8bf

I may take the plunge since the overall cost for me is $100.

What turning tools do you have now? It appears that none comes with
the lathe. HF used to have a halfway decent $10 set but it's $60 now.
$30 in the Amazone: http://tinyurl.com/6vel9ed Start with those,
figure out which you want/need to spend some real money on, and
upgrade only those gouges.

The Rikon on Amazon is actually cheaper than the one in the store.
Unfortunately, unless I can use my Woodcraft gift cards somehow with Amazon,
I will have to purchase at the store.