Posted to rec.woodworking

Default JUST ONCE.....

Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip. I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage.
Those things are a joke.
--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 2:54*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip. *I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage.
Those things are a joke.
--
Steve Barker

Sounds like you are looking to pick a fight.

On super slow-mo cameras the blade drops below the table before the
second tooth has time to rotate into position to hit the dog. I would
say at worst you would get a small gash. No way enough rotation to get
to bone even if fell into it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 2:54 pm, Steve wrote:
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip. I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage.
Those things are a joke.
--
Steve Barker

Sounds like you are looking to pick a fight.

On super slow-mo cameras the blade drops below the table before the
second tooth has time to rotate into position to hit the dog. I would
say at worst you would get a small gash. No way enough rotation to get
to bone even if fell into it.

LMAO! yeah they EASE that hot dog in so slow the damn smell would get
there first. Not trying to pick a fight. I could care less. I just
hate to see more government control over stupidity.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote:

Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip. I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage.
Those things are a joke.

having just had a run in with the object of this thread. Even if I had had
one, I don't think it would have kept me from getting 12 (should have been
more) stitches in two fingers (4 index, 8 ring). I was cutting slats for a
swing fron a very wet treated 2x8. It was wanting to vear away from the
fence, so, being very careful, I was holding it over with my left hand and
pushing it through with the right hand. The 2x8 just stopped and my left
hand slipped up and over the blade.

Because the 2x8 was as wet as it was, I would think the Saw-Stop would have
already fired. Even if it did not, going over the top of the blade that way
would make it much harder for the trigger mechanism to detect the change in
resistance.

Makes a nice commercial and is something to keep the "safety" folks happy.
Other than that, I cannot think of a good use for it except to generate
funds for the company that makes it.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:

Because the 2x8 was as wet as it was, I would think the Saw-Stop
would have already fired. Even if it did not, going over the top of
the blade that way would make it much harder for the trigger
mechanism to detect the change in resistance.

Not sure that would have made any difference. The blade does not sense
resistance, it senses capacitance and I don't believe it would have mattered
that your hand went over the top instead of straight in along the table.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I guess you missed the challenge where Gass stuck his own finger
in. No blood...
But you as a non believer won't believe. No use trying to make you
believe. Not worth the effort.

On 1/20/2012 7:20 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On Jan 20, 2:54 pm, Steve wrote:
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip. I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage.
Those things are a joke.
--
Steve Barker

Sounds like you are looking to pick a fight.

On super slow-mo cameras the blade drops below the table before the
second tooth has time to rotate into position to hit the dog. I would
say at worst you would get a small gash. No way enough rotation to get
to bone even if fell into it.

LMAO! yeah they EASE that hot dog in so slow the damn smell would get
there first. Not trying to pick a fight. I could care less. I just hate
to see more government control over stupidity.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

[...]

As I understand it, the blade works on electrical signal and not resistance.

Per the website ad: "When skin contacts the blade, the signal changes
because the human body is conductive." "The change to the signal activates
the safety system."

If I recall, a show on cable called "Time Warp" captures action with a super
slo-mo camera. They did a segment about the SawStop and used a real hand.
The guy dipped his hand in ice water prior to the test, which I imagined was
to slow blood flow, and cut wood allowing his hand to hit the blade and it
worked. I can't find any videos right now, but searches may find results.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:
...snipped...

LMAO! yeah they EASE that hot dog in so slow the damn smell would get
there first. Not trying to pick a fight. I could care less. I just
hate to see more government control over stupidity.

I agree that the government should not mandate adoption of this technology,
but the system does work as advertised. THere are a number of videos on
Youtube and other sites where it is demonstrated at normal feed speeds,
and more than a few testimonials too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2012 5:54 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip. I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage.
Those things are a joke.

Saw the hot dog live demo once. It worked as advertised and barely broke
the skin of the dog. Amazing demo and when that blade stopped, even
though I was expecting some noise it still scared the crap right out of me.

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Posted to rec.woodworking

Because the 2x8 was as wet as it was, I would think the Saw-Stop would have
already fired. *Even if it did not, going over the top of the blade that way
would make it much harder for the trigger mechanism to detect the change in
resistance.

Deb,
The Sawstop has an override to prevent accidental firing if you are
cutting wet wood so your accident may not have been diminshed if you
were using a Saw Stop in this mode. (At least this feature was
provided on the earlier models as was explained to me at several
demonstrations and shows.) However, I don't think your comment about
going over the top of the blade is accurate. I also posed questions
like that to many of the Saw Stop dudes and they assured me that the
blade will sense "flesh" or any other conducting material it touches.
They claim that you don't have to be the conduit between the blade and
the table for actuation to take place.
No, I'm not a Saw Stop owner nor advocate.
Anyway, I hope you're healed and really sorry your got cut.

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On Jan 20, 2:54 pm, Steve wrote:
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip. I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage.
Those things are a joke.
--
Steve Barker

Sounds like you are looking to pick a fight.

On super slow-mo cameras the blade drops below the table before the
second tooth has time to rotate into position to hit the dog. I would
say at worst you would get a small gash. No way enough rotation to get
to bone even if fell into it.

LMAO! yeah they EASE that hot dog in so slow the damn smell would get
there first. Not trying to pick a fight. I could care less. I just hate
to see more government control over stupidity.

--
Steve Barker

Steve Barker,
The video on SawStop's web site shows the plywood moving about 6" in 3/4 of
a second. That's a feed rate of about 8" per second. How fast do you feed
material into your table saw?
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2012 7:41 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Well, I guess you missed the challenge where Gass stuck his own finger
in. No blood...
But you as a non believer won't believe. No use trying to make you
believe. Not worth the effort.

yeah i saw that one also. he eased it in slower than the hot dog.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2012 4:54 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip. I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage.
Those things are a joke.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! T R O L L !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2012 6:20 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On Jan 20, 2:54 pm, Steve wrote:
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip. I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage.
Those things are a joke.
--
Steve Barker

Sounds like you are looking to pick a fight.

On super slow-mo cameras the blade drops below the table before the
second tooth has time to rotate into position to hit the dog. I would
say at worst you would get a small gash. No way enough rotation to get
to bone even if fell into it.

LMAO! yeah they EASE that hot dog in so slow the damn smell would get
there first. Not trying to pick a fight. I could care less. I just hate
to see more government control over stupidity.

I hate to say it but it will be people with your mentality that will be
the reason the government will control it. You people need this kind of
government protection.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 2:54 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

hardly

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 5:54*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip. *I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage.
Those things are a joke.

If memory serves, when they tested this on Ask This Old House the hot
dog was tossed at the blade.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/21/2012 11:56 AM, William F. Adams ) wrote:

If memory serves, when they tested this on Ask This Old House the hot
dog was tossed at the blade.

i'm sure we won't be seeing any videos of it mangling a hotdog or other
such thing. The gubmint would never allow the truth to come out about
such things.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 2:54 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

well i guess they can try. I've got a brand new NON $aw $top saw that
will more than outlast me. I'll never have to use one. I may even buy
up some other good saws that can be sold after nothing but the junkassed
$$ is all that's available.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 2:54 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

You jump all over that. You du'man.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2012 8:09 PM, Digger wrote:
On 1/20/2012 5:54 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip. I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage.
Those things are a joke.

Saw the hot dog live demo once. It worked as advertised and barely broke
the skin of the dog. Amazing demo and when that blade stopped, even
though I was expecting some noise it still scared the crap right out of me.

You ought be in the same room or near the saw when it happens when you
WEREN'T expecting it.

We've set ours off about 8 times in several years. Usually because of
failure to note embedded metal, wet wood, aluminized vapor backer, etc.
Only once when a man was pushing it - he thought he had completed a
cut he was pushing along the fence (probably way too close and should
have been using a push stick) and set it off with no visible cut, looked
more like a splinter.

Yes, it is expensive to set it off. Cartridge and blade.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/21/2012 4:59 PM, DanG wrote:

We've set ours off about 8 times in several years. Usually because of
failure to note embedded metal, wet wood, aluminized vapor backer, etc.
Only once when a man was pushing it - he thought he had completed a cut
he was pushing along the fence (probably way too close and should have
been using a push stick) and set it off with no visible cut, looked more
like a splinter.

Yes, it is expensive to set it off. Cartridge and blade.

You guys are wise. IMO, only a fool, with a single employee who's job
description included operating a table saw, would not have a SawStop today.

Cheap at fifty times the price ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/21/2012 4:59 PM, DanG wrote:
[...]

damn. $800 in false trips. More than my saw cost new. Dandy product
you got there. what a joke!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/21/2012 9:45 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/21/2012 4:59 PM, DanG wrote:
[...]

Don't knock what you can not afford.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/21/2012 4:59 PM, DanG wrote:
[...]

i could afford 10 of them tomorrow and pay cash. You don't seem to
understand. I DON"T WANT ONE!! And i don't want them forced on other
people who know how to use a saw properly.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote in
news

damn. $800 in false trips. More than my saw cost new. Dandy product
you got there. what a joke!

False trips are an annoyance, but it's possible that the cost of the saw
and replacement cartridges and blades might be saved by one real trip. You
can be extremely careful in the shop (and should be) but one moment of
stupidity or one action messed up could result in permanent injury.

I'm usually in the extremely careful camp, but made one mistake and
fortunately the push block paid for it.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 00:05:48 -0600, Steve Barker
i could afford 10 of them tomorrow and pay cash. You don't seem to
understand. I DON"T WANT ONE!! And i don't want them forced on other
people who know how to use a saw properly.

Your arrogance in the face of possible injury is absolutely stunning.
*You* are exactly the time of person the SawStop if designed to
protect. It's patently obvious that if you accidentally cut a finger
off, you'd be the first to go crying to a lawyer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2012 2:24 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 00:05:48 -0600, Steve Barker
i could afford 10 of them tomorrow and pay cash. You don't seem to
understand. I DON"T WANT ONE!! And i don't want them forced on other
people who know how to use a saw properly.

Your arrogance in the face of possible injury is absolutely stunning.
*You* are exactly the time of person the SawStop if designed to
protect. It's patently obvious that if you accidentally cut a finger
off, you'd be the first to go crying to a lawyer.

you obviously don't know me. I am not the sue happy type. I believe in
people being accountable for their own actions. And that includes
keeping your digits out of the saw.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2012 12:11 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Steve wrote in
news

damn. $800 in false trips. More than my saw cost new. Dandy product
you got there. what a joke!

False trips are an annoyance, but it's possible that the cost of the saw
and replacement cartridges and blades might be saved by one real trip. You
can be extremely careful in the shop (and should be) but one moment of
stupidity or one action messed up could result in permanent injury.

I'm usually in the extremely careful camp, but made one mistake and
fortunately the push block paid for it.

Puckdropper

and THAT is why we use push sticks/blocks.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/21/2012 4:59 PM, DanG wrote:
[...]

Then shut the F___up about it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2012 12:11 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Steve wrote in
news

damn. $800 in false trips. More than my saw cost new. Dandy product
you got there. what a joke!

False trips are an annoyance, but it's possible that the cost of the saw
and replacement cartridges and blades might be saved by one real trip. You
can be extremely careful in the shop (and should be) but one moment of
stupidity or one action messed up could result in permanent injury.

I'm usually in the extremely careful camp, but made one mistake and
fortunately the push block paid for it.

Puckdropper

Absolutely! We all try to be careful and those of us with half a brain
realize that trying to be careful all of the time just does not fly. We
are human and accidents happen.

How much does it cost to reattach a finger or hand?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote in
:

i could afford 10 of them tomorrow and pay cash. You don't seem to
understand. I DON"T WANT ONE!! And i don't want them forced on other
people who know how to use a saw properly.

So if you don't want one, DON'T BUY ONE.

The fact that other people DO want them is not changed by either your arrogant refusal to even
consider the possibility that you might hurt yourself some day, or your consequent inability to
understand why it might be a useful thing to have.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
b.com:

Steve Barker wrote in
news

damn. $800 in false trips. More than my saw cost new. Dandy
product you got there. what a joke!

False trips are an annoyance, but it's possible that the cost of the
saw and replacement cartridges and blades might be saved by one real
trip. You can be extremely careful in the shop (and should be) but
one moment of stupidity or one action messed up could result in
permanent injury.

I'm usually in the extremely careful camp, but made one mistake and
fortunately the push block paid for it.

I likewise consider myself in the "extremely careful" camp, but made one mistake a few years ago,
resulting in a trip to the ER for what the doc called a "remarkably superficial" injury. Even so, it was
quite painful, I'm now missing a *very* small portion of the tip of my left thumb, and there's a little spot
that's permanently numb.

I've left the blood splashes on the wall, as a reminder to be more careful in the future.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2012 9:12 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

And unfortunately it takes this type of accident to make one realize how
foolish the thought is that being careful and knowing the rules is all
you need to do. We are only human after all. ;~)

Then factor the actual cost of the er trip, especially one that might
involve bone, and the occasional false trip brake and blade replacement
cost of $200 is simply not much worth mentioning.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

OBTY, many years ago I was putting a set of tires on a car, IIRC I was
20 years old. I was using the typical method of removing the valve stem
from the tire and wheel on the tire machine and ended up slicing open my
pinky finger on my left hand. Basically I cut from the tip of my finger
back to the base of the nail and laid that and my nail over to one side.
Bled like a stuck pig. I quickly push everything back in place and
put a couple of band aids over it and left it that way for about 4 days.
No stitches or trip for a tetanus shot, hell I was 20 and
indestructible.

Well I must have been indestructible as when I removed the bandages 4
days later the injury was healing nicely and everything was the normal
color.

I did however loose feeling on that side of my finger and there is still
a small dark spot where dirt is apparently still under the skin.
About five years later I noticed that I had regained all feeling in that
finger again.

Your might also regain feeling in your thumb some time down the road.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 08:23:17 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/22/2012 12:05 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/21/2012 11:27 PM, Leon wrote:
Don't knock what you can not afford.

i could afford 10 of them tomorrow and pay cash. You don't seem to
understand. I DON"T WANT ONE!! And i don't want them forced on other
people who know how to use a saw properly.

Then shut the F___up about it.

Nobody ever said that we Wreckers couldn't beat a dead horse to death
all over again, several times, did they? g

When people want a thread to stop, they stop posting to it. I'll stop
here.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 08:26:04 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Evidently, most tablesaur accidents are unrecoverable. The saw
shatters the bones too badly in too many cases. Just call 'em Stubby.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a feeling this Steve Barker is MII in disguise.Same stupid
attitude. It's his opinion, and he thinks everyone needs to adopt his
opinion. Kind of like the ASH HOLE... don't you think.