Posted to rec.woodworking

Default JUST ONCE.....

On 29 Jan 2012 15:24:57 GMT, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

(Larry W) wrote in
:

You know, I'm reading this right now on a laptop with a touchpad. I
put my finger on the touchpad, move it around, and of course the mouse
cursor on the screen reacts normally. I try using a piece of wood in
the touchpad, a few different types of plastic, and even a piece of
metal, and nothing happens. I wonder if there's something useable
there as an alternative to whatever Gass has patented?

A computer with a video camera could watch you as you make the cut. It
would "know" what the saw looked like and a piece of wood, but anything
too close to the blade would set it off.

What does "set it off" do? It's in there.

It's another method, but not something I think would really work.
There's just too much information to process to prevent false trips and
ensure real ones. Anyone ever played with the Xbox Kinect?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave makes another online friend!

Parents slapped him up side of the head too many times for slobbering
as a child.

---------------

You like being an ass don't you Jack? You're quite the joke.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A computer could look at the image and tell whether your finger are in
the path before you even push the wood piece casing an alarm.

My camera tells when 5 people are smiling and then takes the picture!

Trouble is how many accidents happen straight in instead of hand
jerking against the side of the carbide? This is why the Saw-Stop
people are lying about the significance of the mechanism. Drag the side
of your hand against the carbide on the side of the blade and then have
it snap down, dragging it across your skin may lower the damage caused
in a contact accident but not prevent it, like they imply.

Saw-Stop bends the facts in the argument and then wins by simple facts
that may not be relevant to TS accident statistics.

-------------
"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

A computer with a video camera could watch you as you make the cut. It
would "know" what the saw looked like and a piece of wood, but anything
too close to the blade would set it off.

It's another method, but not something I think would really work.
There's just too much information to process to prevent false trips and
ensure real ones. Anyone ever played with the Xbox Kinect?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:
A computer could look at the image and tell whether your finger are in
the path before you even push the wood piece casing an alarm.

My camera tells when 5 people are smiling and then takes the picture!

Trouble is how many accidents happen straight in instead of hand jerking
against the side of the carbide? This is why the Saw-Stop people are
lying about the significance of the mechanism. Drag the side of your
hand against the carbide on the side of the blade and then have it snap
down, dragging it across your skin may lower the damage caused in a
contact accident but not prevent it, like they imply.

Saw-Stop bends the facts in the argument and then wins by simple facts
that may not be relevant to TS accident statistics.

Taco Bell and McDonald's call what they sell "food"...what's new.

-------------
"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

A computer with a video camera could watch you as you make the cut. It
would "know" what the saw looked like and a piece of wood, but anything
too close to the blade would set it off.

It's another method, but not something I think would really work.
There's just too much information to process to prevent false trips and
ensure real ones. Anyone ever played with the Xbox Kinect?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Or simpler still protective micro chain mail gloves that simply cannot
be penetrated by a saw blade.

Given that even a hand-held circular saw will cut a 10d nail pretty easily,
that would have to be a hell of a glove!

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

A computer with a video camera could watch you as you make the cut.
It would "know" what the saw looked like and a piece of wood, but
anything too close to the blade would set it off.

What does "set it off" do? It's in there.

It's another method, but not something I think would really work.
There's just too much information to process to prevent false trips
and ensure real ones. Anyone ever played with the Xbox Kinect?

Puckdropper

It activates the mechanism to stop the blade.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

It's another method, but not something I think would really work.
There's just too much information to process to prevent false trips
and ensure real ones. Anyone ever played with the Xbox Kinect?

Please - you are not trying to conduct a conversation based upon Xbox
experiences - are you? Xbox has an entirely different purpose and
objective.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Jan 2012 02:05:16 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

" wrote in
:

A computer with a video camera could watch you as you make the cut.
It would "know" what the saw looked like and a piece of wood, but
anything too close to the blade would set it off.

What does "set it off" do? It's in there.

It's another method, but not something I think would really work.
There's just too much information to process to prevent false trips
and ensure real ones. Anyone ever played with the Xbox Kinect?

Puckdropper

It activates the mechanism to stop the blade.

Puckdropper

Both the sensor and the stop mechanism are covered by SS extensive
patent protection.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 17:40:31 -0500, "m II" wrote:
Saw-Stop bends the facts in the argument and then wins by simple facts
that may not be relevant to TS accident statistics.

Right! You would know of course because you're tested a SawStop out
repeatedly with the side of your head.

As usual, you're so full of crap it's stupefying.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:46:31 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Please - you are not trying to conduct a conversation based upon Xbox
experiences - are you? Xbox has an entirely different purpose and
objective.

Why is the Xbox so wrong a thought? A computer senses the motion and
reacts pretty closely to the type of motion. Sounds like it could be
adapted very well to a saw safety device.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message news
On 30 Jan 2012 02:05:16 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

" wrote in
:

A computer with a video camera could watch you as you make the cut.
It would "know" what the saw looked like and a piece of wood, but
anything too close to the blade would set it off.

What does "set it off" do? It's in there.

It's another method, but not something I think would really work.
There's just too much information to process to prevent false trips
and ensure real ones. Anyone ever played with the Xbox Kinect?

Puckdropper

It activates the mechanism to stop the blade.

Puckdropper

Both the sensor and the stop mechanism are covered by SS extensive
patent protection.

Inductrive proximity sensors have been around for ever. Good luck defending
that pattent.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:37:38 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/29/2012 7:05 PM, Larry W wrote:
In articleir2dnSrtT84y_bjSnZ2dnUVZ5tqdnZ2d@giganews. com,
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Or simpler still protective micro chain mail gloves that simply cannot
be penetrated by a saw blade.

Given that even a hand-held circular saw will cut a 10d nail pretty easily,
that would have to be a hell of a glove!

Kevlar

Kevlar reduces knife slices but is chewed up by a TS blade instantly.
Well, less instantly than a leather glove, but very close.

A quick hand into a lower powered saw might result in the breakage of
your hand but I think the kevlar glove might stop the blade shortly
before it started chewing. Dina would choke, fer sher. A 5hp Griz,
prolly not. I wouldn't want to try it with either a circ saw or a
table saw. I ain't no weenie.

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:17:49 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:46:31 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Please - you are not trying to conduct a conversation based upon Xbox
experiences - are you? Xbox has an entirely different purpose and
objective.

Why is the Xbox so wrong a thought? A computer senses the motion and
reacts pretty closely to the type of motion. Sounds like it could be
adapted very well to a saw safety device.

Relative motion isn't going to save a finger, and absolute
positioning that can tell a finger from the lumber you want to cut is
going to be virtually impossible. Telling the difference between wood
and flesh in CONTACT with the blade is difficult enough - and that
technology is the core of HALF of the SS patent.
Posted to rec.woodworking

================================================= =====
Inductrive proximity sensors have been around for ever. Good luck defending
that pattent.

It is NOT an inductive proximity sensor though - it is a CONTACT
sensor. You need to TOUCH the blade to drip it - which is half the
solution. Stopping the blade within 1 tooth of rotation a milisecond
or so after contact - quickly enough to avoid flesh damage - is
PERHAPS the mosre critical technology.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Jan 2012 02:05:16 GMT, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

" wrote in
:

A computer with a video camera could watch you as you make the cut.
It would "know" what the saw looked like and a piece of wood, but
anything too close to the blade would set it off.

What does "set it off" do? It's in there.

It's another method, but not something I think would really work.
There's just too much information to process to prevent false trips
and ensure real ones. Anyone ever played with the Xbox Kinect?

Puckdropper

It activates the mechanism to stop the blade.

Sorry, that's covered by Gass' patent.
Posted to rec.woodworking

================================================ ======
Inductrive proximity sensors have been around for ever. Good luck defending
that pattent.

It is NOT an inductive proximity sensor though - it is a CONTACT
sensor. You need to TOUCH the blade to drip it - which is half the
solution. Stopping the blade within 1 tooth of rotation a milisecond
or so after contact - quickly enough to avoid flesh damage - is
PERHAPS the mosre critical technology.

It doesn't matter whether it is a proximity or contact sensor. The fact that
it is a sensor detecting flesh (capacitance/inductance or proximity/contact
make no difference) causing something to happen to "safe" the blade, is what
is claimed in the patent. Capacitance sensors have been around for eons but
safeing a table saw blade hasn't. They are irrelevant to these patents.
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

On 30 Jan 2012 02:05:16 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

It activates the mechanism to stop the blade.

Sorry, that's covered by Gass' patent.

Then you do it some other way. Grab the blade by a couple of steel
blocks that tighten down like brake calipers. Put explosive bolts in the
arbor mounting setup to force the blade down. Who cares if the blade
stops if it disappears fast enough?

Put a small container of compressed gas near an oak rust container, and
fire the gas when the saw detects a "hand foul". The blade will
disintegrate within just a few seconds of contact. Might not be as fast,
but getting going again is as simple as taking the arbor nut off and
installing a new blade. *g*

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:955e$4f260463
:

Puckdropper wrote:

It's another method, but not something I think would really work.
There's just too much information to process to prevent false trips
and ensure real ones. Anyone ever played with the Xbox Kinect?

Please - you are not trying to conduct a conversation based upon Xbox
experiences - are you? Xbox has an entirely different purpose and
objective.

The Xbox reference was referring to the technology, not to any experience
with the system. The whole idea is the system detects the motion or
position of the hand via its camera and then acts upon the information.

For good depth perception, multiple cameras would probably be necessary.
(However, as any sports fan will tell you multiple camera angles on the
replay aren't always clearcut.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:46:31 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Please - you are not trying to conduct a conversation based upon Xbox
experiences - are you? Xbox has an entirely different purpose and
objective.

Why is the Xbox so wrong a thought? A computer senses the motion and
reacts pretty closely to the type of motion. Sounds like it could be
adapted very well to a saw safety device.

D'oh! Sorry - another one of those cases of missing the intended point.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

The Xbox reference was referring to the technology, not to any
experience with the system. The whole idea is the system detects the
motion or position of the hand via its camera and then acts upon the
information.

For good depth perception, multiple cameras would probably be
necessary. (However, as any sports fan will tell you multiple camera
angles on the replay aren't always clearcut.)

Yeah - my fault for missing your intended point.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/29/2012 7:05 PM, Larry W wrote:
In articleir2dnSrtT84y_bjSnZ2dnUVZ5tqdnZ2d@giganews. com,
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Or simpler still protective micro chain mail gloves that simply cannot
be penetrated by a saw blade.

Given that even a hand-held circular saw will cut a 10d nail pretty easily,
that would have to be a hell of a glove!

Kevlar

Kevlar reduces knife slices but is chewed up by a TS blade instantly.
Well, less instantly than a leather glove, but very close.

A quick hand into a lower powered saw might result in the breakage of
your hand but I think the kevlar glove might stop the blade shortly
before it started chewing. Dina would choke, fer sher. A 5hp Griz,
prolly not. I wouldn't want to try it with either a circ saw or a
table saw. I ain't no weenie.

I wold think a saw blade might be similar to a speeding bullet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2012 10:40 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 19:37:28 -0800, wrote:

wrote in message news
On 30 Jan 2012 02:05:16 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

z wrote in
:

[...]

Regardless, I have touch sensitive lamps in my house. You touch the
lamp to turn it on or off. That has been around for decades.

Now think elevator switches, iPhone touch screens etc use this old
technology.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

It could be a special glove. and yes we have hashed the horror of the
blade grabbing the glove and pulling you whole body in to the saw through
the zero clearance insert.

ROTFL ... Two times! You musta voted for Butch!

--
www.ewoodshop.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2012 6:49 AM, Swingman wrote:
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

It could be a special glove. and yes we have hashed the horror of the
blade grabbing the glove and pulling you whole body in to the saw through
the zero clearance insert.

ROTFL ... Two times! You musta voted for Butch!

There will one day be a candidate whose name is Butch, he will be called
Bush!

There was the mechanic I was getting brake shoes for but I needed to
know if he was working with 9" or 10" inch drums. As is typical he ends
up guessing rather than confirm the size.

He replies, I doan know whish sice of choose to shoes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

No, it's more like spinning or saw-cutting knife blades.

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have
more beads than you know what to do with.
-- Ellen DeGeneres, Tulane Commencement Speech, 2009
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Apparently it is use for this very purpose.

http://www2.dupont.com/Personal_Prot...tion_main.html

Personal protection
Kevlar is used to manufacture gloves, sleeves, jackets, chaps and other
articles of clothing[17] designed to protect users from cuts, abrasions
and heat. Kevlar based protective gear is often considerably lighter and
thinner than equivalent gear made of more traditional materials.[16]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevlar#Protection
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Not surprisingly, I see no comment about their use against spinning
circular saw or table saw blades, Leon.

Question: Would you trust kevlar vest to prevent a perp from hurting
you when he stabbed you with a stiletto? Would you don a kevlar glove
and run your hand into a saw blade? I'll lay long odds that you would
do neither knowingly.

Try it yourself. Take a kevlar glove and put a thick enough piece of
tree branch in the little finger to keep it taut. Now lay it on your
TS sled and slowly run it into the blade. Try it again at a much
faster rate. You'll have results enough to change your mind about it
in no time, I gare on tee.

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have
more beads than you know what to do with.
-- Ellen DeGeneres, Tulane Commencement Speech, 2009
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 1/29/2012 7:05 PM, Larry W wrote:
In articleir2dnSrtT84y_bjSnZ2dnUVZ5tqdnZ2d@giganews. com,
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Or simpler still protective micro chain mail gloves that simply cannot
be penetrated by a saw blade.

Given that even a hand-held circular saw will cut a 10d nail pretty easily,
that would have to be a hell of a glove!

Kevlar

Kevlar is pretty tough stuff but it wouldn't stop a circular saw blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2012 7:22 AM, Leon wrote:

I can touch my desk lamp with my wooden push stick but until I touch it
with my finger it stays on or off. That was a $5 upgrade at the lamp store.

I had a lamp like that once. It was great for a week, then, for two
more weeks it went on every time you walked past it. Next, it went on
and off by itself, no need to even walk past it.

I tossed it but am happy it didn't cost me $180 and a days work every
time it misfired:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2012 3:54 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip.

Best Sawstop demo yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t036YiYdI0
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2012 3:54 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip.

Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiF8a5gacKs
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message news
[...]

What if you developed a technology that was true "proximately", by
having the operator wear a latex-thin glove that would cause the blade
to drop an instant BEFORE contact was made?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2012 6:47 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 1/20/2012 3:54 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run
into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might
if you were to slip.

Best Sawstop demo yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t036YiYdI0

there was a table saw in that video??

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:31:53 -0800, Larry Jaques
Try it yourself. Take a kevlar glove and put a thick enough piece of
tree branch in the little finger to keep it taut. Now lay it on your
TS sled and slowly run it into the blade. Try it again at a much
faster rate. You'll have results enough to change your mind about it
in no time, I gare on tee.

Do you have any idea what kevlar gloves cost? No way I'd waste one on
a table saw. I'd prefer to have the illusion that my hands were safe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote:

there was a table saw in that video??

Nope - I didn't see no damned table saw.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message news
[...]

Would not pass muster unless it would make it impossible to operate
the saw WITHOUT the glove..
Remember, they are attempting to make an IDIOT PROOF table saw.