Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Waterproofing plywood: Poly, epoxy....?

On 7/15/2011 6:31 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 7/14/11 11:47 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 23:20:27 -0500, wrote:
On 7/14/11 10:32 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
David Harmon wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:00:45 -0400 in rec.woodworking, "Mike
wrote,

HD does not have any tools or other products manufactured for
them, other than exclusive labels.

Is Ryobi an "exclusive label"?

No - and that is a foolish question. Ryobi is available a lot of
places besides HD. No Ryobi models are manufactured for HD- they
are all standard models, available anywhere else Ryobi is sold.

Sure about that?
http://www.ryobitools.com/where_to_buy/the_home_depot

There are Ryobi factory outlets but I believe those are the only
places, at least in the US, where their tools are sold outside HD.

I believe the question was whether Ryobi was an exclusive brand for HD
and it's clear that they are. From what I can tell, they sell refurbs
in a few internet stores. They may have been sold retail elsewhere
but it is quite clear that HD has an exclusive retail sales deal with
them now.

It wasn't a "silly" question at all.

You are correct - it was a foolish answer - because it was incorrect. I
stand corrected, and now I'm going over to the corner for 10 minutes...

Your answer would have been right several years back. Back in 1989 I
purchased a Ryobi AP10 planer from my mom and pop tool dealer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 23:20:27 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 7/14/11 10:32 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
David Harmon wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:00:45 -0400 in rec.woodworking, "Mike Marlow"
wrote,

HD does not have any tools or other products manufactured for them,
other than exclusive labels.

Is Ryobi an "exclusive label"?

No - and that is a foolish question. Ryobi is available a lot of places
besides HD. No Ryobi models are manufactured for HD- they are all standard
models, available anywhere else Ryobi is sold.

Sure about that?
http://www.ryobitools.com/where_to_buy/the_home_depot

They're also available through Amazon, eBay, etc.
HD is probably the largest seller now, though.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Harmon wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:00:45 -0400 in rec.woodworking, "Mike Marlow"
wrote,

HD does not have any tools or other products manufactured for them,
other than exclusive labels.

Is Ryobi an "exclusive label"?

No - and that is a foolish question. Ryobi is available a lot of places
besides HD. No Ryobi models are manufactured for HD- they are all standard
models, available anywhere else Ryobi is sold.

Sure about that?
http://www.ryobitools.com/where_to_buy/the_home_depot

They're also available through Amazon, eBay, etc.
HD is probably the largest seller now, though.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer

I saw the ones through Amazon, they all routed back to HD as the seller.
Ebay IMHO would be like finding a Rypbi tool at a garage sale.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/11 8:24 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Is Ryobi an "exclusive label"?

No - and that is a foolish question. Ryobi is available a lot of places
besides HD. No Ryobi models are manufactured for HD- they are all standard
models, available anywhere else Ryobi is sold.

Sure about that?
http://www.ryobitools.com/where_to_buy/the_home_depot

They're also available through Amazon, eBay, etc.
HD is probably the largest seller now, though.

Anything is available though ebay, Larry.
The Amazon stuff is likely new-old-stock or the re-manufactured stuff.
The answer to the question, are they an exclusive label, without the
typical newsgroup war of semantics, is yes, they are exclusive to HD.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:42:26 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 7/15/11 8:24 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Is Ryobi an "exclusive label"?

No - and that is a foolish question. Ryobi is available a lot of places
besides HD. No Ryobi models are manufactured for HD- they are all standard
models, available anywhere else Ryobi is sold.

Sure about that?
http://www.ryobitools.com/where_to_buy/the_home_depot

They're also available through Amazon, eBay, etc.
HD is probably the largest seller now, though.

Anything is available though ebay, Larry.

I know. wink

The Amazon stuff is likely new-old-stock or the re-manufactured stuff.

I guess Leon looked deeper and they were all HD sales via Amazon.

The answer to the question, are they an exclusive label, without the
typical newsgroup war of semantics, is yes, they are exclusive to HD.

I had to think back. Yeah, I ordered my first 14.4v kit from HD, too.
Interesting. They're inexpensive but decent tools. I had an old Skil
9.6v drill motor before the Ryobi and the Ry was lights years ahead.
I also had two old B&D 3/8" VSRs with 1/2" chucks on them that, at
that time, had refused to die. Both have died smoky deaths since.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/11 12:48 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I had to think back. Yeah, I ordered my first 14.4v kit from HD, too.
Interesting. They're inexpensive but decent tools. I had an old Skil
9.6v drill motor before the Ryobi and the Ry was lights years ahead.
I also had two old B&D 3/8" VSRs with 1/2" chucks on them that, at
that time, had refused to die. Both have died smoky deaths since.

I consider some stuff I buy to be either disposable or on long term
lease. :-)

The last uber-cheap B&D FireStorm 18v combo package I bought is still
kicking and I have knocked the ****e out of them. I don't expect them to
last 15 years or more like my DeWalt circ saw, but hey. I have a Skil
corded hammer saw that I simply cannot destroy. It's been left out in
the rain... run for more than 24hrs at a time as a water pump... been
tossed off the top off wall onto the subfloor deck, tossed off a near
30' roof peak into the dirt/grass... it the zombie of power-tools.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 15, 2:30*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I once saw a cheap Black & Decker circular saw fall from the top of 8
levels of scaffolding, hitting every crossbar and diagonal on the way
down just crashing and banging, then landing on a concrete slab in a
pile of sandy mud just to be rolled over by a Cat D-9...and after all
that, it was still a useless piece of ****.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/11 4:52 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 15, 2:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

That was beautiful.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2011 5:05 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/15/11 4:52 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I once saw a cheap Black& Decker circular saw fall from the top of 8
levels of scaffolding, hitting every crossbar and diagonal on the way
down just crashing and banging, then landing on a concrete slab in a
pile of sandy mud just to be rolled over by a Cat D-9...and after all
that, it was still a useless piece of ****.

That was beautiful.

For some reason I started reading the message you replied to from the
bottom, without seeing who you were replying to. My bet, sight unseen
and before I scrolled up, was either Rob, or Ed P.

Bingo ... a superb judge of character, or what!?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Harmon wrote:
[...]

The fact is that Ryobi stores exist, so it is *not* an exclusive HD brand.

It wasn't a "silly" question at all.

Who said it was?

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Harmon wrote:
[...]

Somewhere back about there, I bought a 7 1/4" circular saw (almost junk) from
a local tools store and an RE-600 router (not junk) mail-order from Northern
Tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Harmon wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:00:45 -0400 in rec.woodworking, "Mike Marlow"
wrote,

HD does not have any tools or other products manufactured for them,
other than exclusive labels.

Is Ryobi an "exclusive label"?

No - and that is a foolish question. Ryobi is available a lot of places
besides HD. No Ryobi models are manufactured for HD- they are all standard
models, available anywhere else Ryobi is sold.

Sure about that?
http://www.ryobitools.com/where_to_buy/the_home_depot

There are Ryobi factory outlets but I believe those are the only places, at
least in the US, where their tools are sold outside HD.

That is true but IIRC they only offer re-manufactured.

Nope. Both new and re-furb.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:52:24 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jul 15, 2:30*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

So would the Festeringtool have been. So THERE, Mr. Smartypants!

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:30:01 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 7/15/11 12:48 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I had to think back. Yeah, I ordered my first 14.4v kit from HD, too.
Interesting. They're inexpensive but decent tools. I had an old Skil
9.6v drill motor before the Ryobi and the Ry was lights years ahead.
I also had two old B&D 3/8" VSRs with 1/2" chucks on them that, at
that time, had refused to die. Both have died smoky deaths since.

I consider some stuff I buy to be either disposable or on long term
lease. :-)

Right. And it's amazing how much of the previously considered
disposable crap lasts and lasts. I'm still using Dad's old Crapsman
circ saw, and both those B&D drills lasted over 30 years each. I just
picked up a HF hammer drill for $24 (coupon) so we'll see how long it
lasts in hammah mode.

The last uber-cheap B&D FireStorm 18v combo package I bought is still
kicking and I have knocked the ****e out of them. I don't expect them to
last 15 years or more like my DeWalt circ saw, but hey. I have a Skil
corded hammer saw that I simply cannot destroy. It's been left out in
the rain... run for more than 24hrs at a time as a water pump... been
tossed off the top off wall onto the subfloor deck, tossed off a near
30' roof peak into the dirt/grass... it the zombie of power-tools.

Um, what's a hammer saw?!?

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2011 12:42 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

The Amazon stuff is likely new-old-stock or the re-manufactured stuff.
The answer to the question, are they an exclusive label, without the
typical newsgroup war of semantics, is yes, they are exclusive to HD.

I didn't know that either, thanks for the info Mike.

I never bought a Ryobi tool but, I'd think this would be a lot different
than buying a Craftsman tool made by a brand name mfg that makes a
cheaper version of their product just for Sears. They always had ****ty
parts, like a plastic gear rather than a metal gear, crap like that. I
figured this was to insure the real tools were better than the cheaper
Sears brand.

If Sears owned it's own mfg plant, I would think they would not
necessarily use the cheap plastic gear. If Ryobi makes tools
exclusively for HD, they would be more inclined to make the best product
possible at the best possible price.

Personally, I'd be more likely to buy a Ryobi knowing this than I was
before knowing this.

--
Jack
Are You Better Off Than You were 4 Trillion Dollars Ago?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

I never bought a Ryobi tool but, I'd think this would be a lot
different than buying a Craftsman tool made by a brand name mfg that
makes a cheaper version of their product just for Sears. They always
had ****ty parts, like a plastic gear rather than a metal gear, crap
like that. I figured this was to insure the real tools were better
than the cheaper Sears brand.

If Sears owned it's own mfg plant, I would think they would not
necessarily use the cheap plastic gear. If Ryobi makes tools
exclusively for HD, they would be more inclined to make the best
product possible at the best possible price.

Personally, I'd be more likely to buy a Ryobi knowing this than I was
before knowing this.

Their tools may be ok, but stay away from their power equipment like string
trimmers, etc., especially the gas operated stuff. It appears that they
have their forte, but their name should not be accepted as a universal
statement of quality.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/16/11 7:29 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
[...]

I don't know who makes their stuff or where. I suspect it's the same
Asian factories that everyone else uses. It looks like they are part of
the same "brand group" as Milwaukee. All the tool companies have gotten
gobbled up by conglomerates over the past few decades. I don't know what
all that means, just to say... I wouldn't let it sway your opinion of
their quality. Ryobi still appears to be the same, cheap, plastic crap
that B&D, Porter Cable, or many other have become.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/16/11 7:51 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

[...]

Ain't that the truth. Everybody's getting goggled up, these days.
Husqvarna used to be the $h!t when it came to weedeaters and chainsaws.
I have one that's 15 years old... still starts on two pulls after
sitting all winter. Just last year, I had to replace some rotten fuel
line... that's the only maintenance I've done on it, ever.

The guy at the parts store said they've gone downhill since getting
bought out or something similar. Of course, it might have been Stihl he
was talking about, I forget. :-) But the principle applies... not too many
companies are *improving* the quality and longevity of their products
anymore.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 08:54:23 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Can you buy a Ryobi tool from another source than HD, or not?

Apparently not new. I was surprised to discover this as well. I don't know
how long the HD has had exclusive rights to sell the products, but they sure
do now. The fact that you can buy used or reconditioned tools elsewhere
does not negate the fact that they are exclusive to HD.

Not true, as I've said here; at least one Ryobi outlet store exists (or at
least did a year ago when I was in it).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/16/2011 10:08 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

And that outlet store sells what? Does it sell new equipment, or is
everything in ther reconditioned? Then again - I'm not sure when they
signed their exclusive deal with HD. Perhaps it was within the past year or
two. That though, does not make what I said "Not true". Look at their web
site.

I'm thinking that the word "exclusive" has a modern, Madison Avemanure
meaning along the lines of the word "virgin".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:41:09 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/16/2011 10:08 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

And that outlet store sells what? Does it sell new equipment, or is
everything in ther reconditioned? Then again - I'm not sure when they
signed their exclusive deal with HD. Perhaps it was within the past year or
two. That though, does not make what I said "Not true". Look at their web
site.

I'm thinking that the word "exclusive" has a modern, Madison Avemanure
meaning along the lines of the word "virgin".

I have always loved the "extra virgin" label, myself.
I once saw some "double extra virgin" olive oil on a shelf and folks
in the store aisle stared at me when I let out a hoot and was in tears
from laughing so hard. It really struck me that day.

Speaking of virgins,

Q: what is the best birth control pill?
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

A: One aspirin, held firmly between the knees.

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;

Paint? Poly? - how to UV protect epoxy coating on wood gutters? blueman Home Repair 7 July 29th 09 01:54 PM
waterproofing plywood Fred UK diy 3 August 13th 08 06:13 PM
plywood: waterproofing Fred UK diy 0 August 11th 08 01:18 PM
Strengthening plywood with fiberglass and resin/epoxy [email protected] Woodworking 18 June 12th 07 11:09 PM
Waterproofing A Plywood Box Too_Many_Tools Woodworking 23 January 17th 06 06:50 PM