Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Waterproofing plywood: Poly, epoxy....?

On 7/17/2011 9:25 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:41:09 -0500, wrote:

On 7/16/2011 10:08 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

And that outlet store sells what? Does it sell new equipment, or is
everything in ther reconditioned? Then again - I'm not sure when they
signed their exclusive deal with HD. Perhaps it was within the past year or
two. That though, does not make what I said "Not true". Look at their web
site.

I'm thinking that the word "exclusive" has a modern, Madison Avemanure
meaning along the lines of the word "virgin".

I have always loved the "extra virgin" label, myself.
I once saw some "double extra virgin" olive oil on a shelf and folks
in the store aisle stared at me when I let out a hoot and was in tears
from laughing so hard. It really struck me that day.

Speaking of virgins,

Q: what is the best birth control pill?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

A: One aspirin, held firmly between the knees.

Well, in our case it might just be total frontal nudity ..

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 09:28:27 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

A: One aspirin, held firmly between the knees.

Well, in our case it might just be total frontal nudity ..

Rightio! Old age is its own birth control.

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/17/2011 9:34 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 09:28:27 -0500, wrote:

Speaking of virgins,

Q: what is the best birth control pill?

A: One aspirin, held firmly between the knees.

Well, in our case it might just be total frontal nudity ..

Rightio! Old age is its own birth control.

Just noticed again this morning, when walking the pup and finding myself
close behind a tall, looong legged beauty, with lots of 'factory air',
wearing loose but very short shorts, that my imagination is still a lot
younger than the rest of me.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 17, 9:18*am, Jack Stein wrote:

I've pretty much read the whole thread, what am I missing? Ryobi says
they make tools EXCLUSIVELY for HD, you say they don't? *No semantics,
not real complicated...

Mmmmm... That simply means nobody else is making Ryobi tools for HD.
It also doesn't preclude that they make Ryobi tools exclusively for
somebody else. G

*smirk*

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 17, 10:25*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:41:09 -0500, Swingman wrote:
On 7/16/2011 10:08 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

And that outlet store sells what? *Does it sell new equipment, or is
everything in ther reconditioned? *Then again - I'm not sure when they
signed their exclusive deal with HD. *Perhaps it was within the past year or
two. *That though, does not make what I said "Not true". *Look at their web
site.

I'm thinking that the word "exclusive" has a modern, Madison Avemanure
meaning along the lines of the word "virgin".

I have always loved the "extra virgin" label, myself.
I once saw some "double extra virgin" olive oil on a shelf and folks
in the store aisle stared at me when I let out a hoot and was in tears
from laughing so hard. It really struck me that day.

Speaking of virgins,

Confucius say: "Virginity like balloon. One prick, all gone."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/17/11 11:38 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 17, 9:18 am, Jack wrote:

I've pretty much read the whole thread, what am I missing? Ryobi says
they make tools EXCLUSIVELY for HD, you say they don't? No semantics,
not real complicated...

Mmmmm... That simply means nobody else is making Ryobi tools for HD.
It also doesn't preclude that they make Ryobi tools exclusively for
somebody else.G

*smirk*

Someone put gas in your fire extinguisher, again, Rob.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 07:26:33 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Then again - I'm not sure when they
signed their exclusive deal with HD. Perhaps it was within the past
year or two.

No.

That though, does not make what I said "Not true". Look at their web
site.

I don't care what is claimed. I know what exists.

You also said that you saw this store a year ago. I simply wondered if the
deal with HD was since then. What makes you say no to that idea?

Because Ryobi was "exclusive" to HD long before I was in the store. In fact,
I was quite surprised at the existence of the store because of the
"exclusivity". Evidently there is some escape clause in the contract that
allows Ryobi a way to get rid of excess inventory and refurbs.

Long ago, Ryobi was just another brand. I bought a circular saw from a local
tool store and a router from one of the larger mail-order tool stores (they
also substituted a Ryobi sheetrock driver for a Makita, but it went back).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 09:42:05 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/17/2011 9:34 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 09:28:27 -0500, wrote:

Speaking of virgins,

Q: what is the best birth control pill?

A: One aspirin, held firmly between the knees.

Well, in our case it might just be total frontal nudity ..

Rightio! Old age is its own birth control.

Just noticed again this morning, when walking the pup and finding myself
close behind a tall, looong legged beauty, with lots of 'factory air',
wearing loose but very short shorts, that my imagination is still a lot
younger than the rest of me.

Times like that can be in-tents.

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;
you can not remain still.
-- Patricia Russell-McCloud
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/17/2011 10:27 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
krw wrote:

Maybe you'd care to read what's been written?

Ok, Ryobi says:
"We're proud to sell our tools exclusively through The Home Depot,"

krw says:
"The fact is that Ryobi stores exist, so it is *not* an exclusive HD brand."

I've pretty much read the whole thread, what am I missing? Ryobi says
they make tools EXCLUSIVELY for HD, you say they don't? No semantics,
not real complicated...

If you guys plonk the troll, the thread dies. Think about it.

I thought about it, and I don't think krw is a troll or I'd ignore him,
I'm not a troll, and I don't give a damn if the thread lives forever, or
dies immediately?

--
Jack
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/17/2011 12:38 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 17, 9:18 am, Jack wrote:

I've pretty much read the whole thread, what am I missing? Ryobi says
they make tools EXCLUSIVELY for HD, you say they don't? No semantics,
not real complicated...

Mmmmm... That simply means nobody else is making Ryobi tools for HD.

"We're proud to sell our tools exclusively through The Home Depot,"

That means they do not sell tools through anyone but Home Depot.

It also doesn't preclude that they make Ryobi tools exclusively for
somebody else.G

Yeah, it pretty much does.

*smirk*

*jeer*

--
Jack
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/17/2011 9:25 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:41:09 -0500, wrote:

On 7/16/2011 10:08 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

And that outlet store sells what? Does it sell new equipment, or is
everything in ther reconditioned? Then again - I'm not sure when they
signed their exclusive deal with HD. Perhaps it was within the past year or
two. That though, does not make what I said "Not true". Look at their web
site.

I'm thinking that the word "exclusive" has a modern, Madison Avemanure
meaning along the lines of the word "virgin".

I have always loved the "extra virgin" label, myself.

Jeez Larry, extra virgin olive oil is simply virgin olive oil in a
larger bottle.

I once saw some "double extra virgin" olive oil on a shelf and folks
in the store aisle stared at me when I let out a hoot and was in tears
from laughing so hard.

Double extra virgin oil is where you get a two pack of larger bottles of
virgin olive oil.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 17:15:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

Larger bottles? Oh, it's so fat and ugly that no one would touch it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:

Where is the store?
I googled for Ryobi tools, and except for places selling reconditioned
Ryobi tools, all I found referred to Home Depot, or in Australia,
Bunnings. There are no Home Depots in Australia. There is a store
called 'Your Home Depot', but that is a privately owned company not
related to Home
Depot.

I was going to ask this same question because I did find a place in the UK
that sells Ryobi (new), so the exclusive deal might just be in the US.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 3:52:24 PM UTC-5, Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

I'm looking to make a 4 ft x 6 ft base for some apparatus, out of 1/2"
plywood, for outdoor use.
It works well indoors, but I'm wondering if I can make it *truly* waterproof
for outdoor use, with enough coats of poly, epoxy, or some clear plastic
coating-type finishes I've seen.

Not that familiar with wood/coatings, beyond having done my floors with a
water-based poly+catalyst, with mixed results.

Also, I know there's HD 1/2 plywood, which you can break across your knee,
and there is real 1/2 ply, from a lumber yard. Are there even
harder/stiffer grades? I'm not necessarily looking for furniture-grade
plywood, but maybe that is indeed the stiffest. Cost, bang for the buck is
a factor.
Maybe other "engineered products"?

Appreciate all input.
--
EA

First off, working with plywood needs to consider more factors than working with 100% mill type lumber woods. While milled woods are solid, plywoods incorperate resins or glues to adhear and sandwicht them as to hold them together. In plywoods, most resin/glues are "somewhat" water proof when cured but only if exposed to moisture for a short period of time, but will eventually break down as the duration increases. This is because wood swells when it absorbs moisture then contracts as the wood re-dries, thus causing the resin/glues to release/crack/split... forgive my over detailed captin-obvious here.

Natural Resins are in the tree (the in the form of saps) which will help seal and hold wood long fibers together so lets just keep that in the back of our minds for a little while.

Plywoods are also made from thin layers of woods that go in several directions (for strenght applications) plus the adheasion layers (as mentioned) to hold them together in a sheet..but the point is the thiner layers of wood can splinter more easily and usually will at some point. So sanding and beveling "rounding" exposed corners of plywood should be considerred! But beveling/sanding can be a good or bad thing depending on the type and grade of plywoods as well as the applications (among other things).

The edges of any plywood should be the main focus on any sealing application and should be double-coated/sealed at minimum! But I reccomend sealing edges lastly after the surface sheeting are sealed thoroughly so that any moisture can escape from the edges as the sheet sides cures. Then coat the edges and focus on them.

Now!
In todays markets, there is a variety of alternative sealers, but in most cases none of them reccomend use on plywoods due to the above and bleow reason. Polyurethanes are more optionaly preferred than the exterior paints as an alternatives but not any more one way or the other. Most will say not recomended for ply woods, but cabinates often incorperate such as a protective layer. Thus some/most urethans will say interior/exterior.

As suggested there is marine grade paints for wood as someone suggested as it is used on wooden boats and last a long time. But there is also the other alternatives and one I use that has not been suggested!
Fiberglass Resins.

When I worked in boat manufacturing (too many years ago, Eb****d boats) they incorperated fiberglass and coated it over plywood in their boats. Of course the plywood was all treated grade plywoods (1/2", 3/4" & 1") on the transoms and other areas as reinforcements! But the fact of the process was that it was plywood "at the core hull" and the fiberglass and resins were applied over all sides and edges as a sealer and as a strengthening,harder protection factor.

Yes that would be very expensive suggestion if the fiberglass is used in addition to the wood and you did mention your budget ideals. but you could skip the fiberglass and just use the resins to seal and water proof as a bonding agent due to is verstile properties.

Fiberglass resin will last for years but it has no strength by itself so it will crack and chip when hardened (if flexed/stressed or hit/impact), thus the fiberglass sheeting/covers is used for strength in normal process and applicaiton. But the resin (I would think and suspect) is no different than applying an epoxy paint for garage floors or marine pain to a surface.... as long as it does not flex or is impacted harshly the surface will not crack and would be water proof.

Still, I think that epoxy paints for garage floors, marine paint, or urithanes would suffice and be a better all around option cost wise (as long as it does not flex). After all they epoxy paints are a derrived resin of different formulas and chemical make up; all with the same goal....TO SEAL. Bubble Gum would work for christ sakes!

Focusing on Resins.
The problem with using fiberglass resin is the fact that its inital window of cure time is very short (according to how much catalyst you add when mixing). So it could start geling within minuts to an hour depending on the type and mix. A few drops of catalyst (mixed with resin) can tacky-cure a cup of resin in about 20 mins and harden rubbery in 30 mins or less. The more you let it set the more hard and brittel it will become. Most common commercial resin will cure tacky-hard (like fast dry Urethans) within 20-30 minutes and cure hard within 24 hrs.
Plus the fumes! Awful!
By the way----Such are the same factors you will encounter with 2 part epoxy grage pains as well.

As everyone says, the problem with plywood is its core materials and edges, so any sealer would need to be applied to the edges as to help seal from absorbing moisture; that goes for any holes you drill so you would need to consider a slightly larger hole size as to accomodate a thin layer of sealer.. You could also consider silicone caulk in the hidden areas as a extra protection.

I would menion the overlooked Polyurethanes but it will scratch and eventually give way to moisture, but it too is an alternative via (interior/exterior brand).
But you should be aware that there are two formulast of Urethanes (1) water base and (2) Oil based.... just like in paints.
It is contraversal which one is better appled as a full sealer for plywood (cabinate grade) as the pro-con is considered.
Water base will have a moisture content which will absorb into wood and add to the overall moisture level if entirely sandwiched/coated in the sealer all at once so a dry time and evaporation period should be considered for the wood as well. Sealing the moisture in the plywood could cause the glues in the plywood to break down over time as the heat and cold are exposed.

Oil base will take longer to dry and a certain amount of oils may absorb in the wood as well, like wise maybe causing damage to the glues or wood over a period of time.

So its all your call but I hope this helps in some way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 2:21:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

First off, working with posts that are 6 years old needs to consider more
factors than working with posts that are current and may actually still
be monitored by the original poster.

Paint? Poly? - how to UV protect epoxy coating on wood gutters? blueman Home Repair 7 July 29th 09 01:54 PM
waterproofing plywood Fred UK diy 3 August 13th 08 06:13 PM
plywood: waterproofing Fred UK diy 0 August 11th 08 01:18 PM
Strengthening plywood with fiberglass and resin/epoxy [email protected] Woodworking 18 June 12th 07 11:09 PM
Waterproofing A Plywood Box Too_Many_Tools Woodworking 23 January 17th 06 06:50 PM