Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default waterproofing plywood

Hello,

I was reading some old posts about waterproofing plywood. The advice
was to paint the edges with metal primer. Why should you use a metal
primer rather than a wood primer?

Which metal primer should I use? In my local shed there a metal
primer for ferrous metal, metal primer for rusty ferrous metal,
special primer for non-ferrous metal, and red oxide primer. What's the
last one for?

I also found an aluminium primer which counter-intuitively is not for
aluminium but for wood. Is it so called because it contains aluminium?
I read that it stops knots showing. I might buy this next time because
if it saves having to do a separate application of knotting solution,
hopefully this will speed things along.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hello,

I was reading some old posts about waterproofing plywood. The advice
was to paint the edges with metal primer. Why should you use a metal
primer rather than a wood primer?

I normally use a woodstain (not a 'wood dye') for protecting the
edges.

Better still is to glue a small batten of durable wood to the edge.

Paint is OK but more likely to peel if the wood gets too damp somehow.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't know abou paint or primer but to really do the job properly
use two part epoxy, you can get it from fibeglass suppliers or boating
chandlers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hello,

I was reading some old posts about waterproofing plywood. The advice
was to paint the edges with metal primer. Why should you use a metal
primer rather than a wood primer?

Which metal primer should I use? In my local shed there a metal
primer for ferrous metal, metal primer for rusty ferrous metal,
special primer for non-ferrous metal, and red oxide primer. What's the
last one for?

I also found an aluminium primer which counter-intuitively is not for
aluminium but for wood. Is it so called because it contains aluminium?
I read that it stops knots showing. I might buy this next time because
if it saves having to do a separate application of knotting solution,
hopefully this will speed things along.

Thanks.

Fred,

Use the alumimium primer.

Tanner-'op

plywood: waterproofing Fred UK diy 0 August 11th 08 01:18 PM
Recommendation for reasonably priced, high quality 10" blade for cutting birch plywood and oak-veneer plywood blueman Woodworking 9 October 31st 06 09:45 PM
Waterproofing A Plywood Box Too_Many_Tools Woodworking 23 January 17th 06 06:50 PM
Attaching plywood to plywood for ceramic tile? Gord Home Repair 9 January 3rd 06 04:25 PM
supply plywood and film-faced plywood,MDF jack lin Woodworking 2 December 20th 05 12:19 AM