Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Now Which Miter gauge??

On 6/6/11 11:23 PM, Leon wrote:
Back in Ohio, I had two neighbors. One would bend over backwards to help
you.... salt of the earth types.
The other had a dog that barked all night. One day, I couldn't take it
anymore and went over to talk to them about it. They said, "Well, a dog
is gonna bark at deer and another animals. They're just being dogs." I
said, "That's true, but how about if you take him in for the night."
Their reply (not making this up), "If we take him in, he'll keep us up
all night, barking to be let out."

The dogs owner, the wife, told me yesterday that the problem dog was
gone. I told her that if the other dog keeps me from going to sleep that
I would see to it that they would not get any sleep either.

I am not trying to be an ass but as you said some people are stupid.

Oddly they try to explain the whys. I explained the results.

No better than these idiots with mufflers that make the car louder than
if it had no muffler. Or... I may catch some flack for this.... Harley
riders. The only purpose of these cars and motorcycles is for the
drivers to wave a big flag in the air saying, "look at me, look at me!!"

I'm sorry, but if you drive one of these cars or ride one of those bikes,
you're an inconsiderate jerk. If you do so at night or worse, in
the early morning hours, you're just a complete moron and a first class
douche nozzle.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

-MIKE- wrote in :

No better than these idiots with mufflers that make the car louder than
if it had no muffler. Or... I may catch some flack for this.... Harley
riders. The only purpose of these cars and motorcycles is for the
drivers to wave a big flag in the air saying, "look at me, look at me!!"

I'm sorry, but if you drive one of these cars or ride one of those bikes,
you're an inconsiderate jerk. If you do so at night or worse, in
the early morning hours, you're just a complete moron and a first class
douche nozzle.

Those are woodpeckers. Just making noise to say "Lookie!! I'm here"

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/6/2011 11:59 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/6/11 11:23 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Actually if you were a motorcycle rider and or more specifically a
Harley rider you would feel safer on a Harley than the typical Jap bile.
I have had 2 Yamahas and a Harley. The Harely was the second bike. I
did not ride the Harley for the sole purpose of boosting my testosterone.

Until you have ridden both bikes in heavy traffic you may not understand
the advantage the rider has riding a louder bike. I got bumped in to
when stopped at stop lights and had more close calls from not being
seen on the freeway on the quieter bikes than the Harley. The louder
sound from the bike is a defensive feature that naturally comes with the
bike. The other motorists may not see you but they certainly can hear you.

Having said that most of the "loud" Harleys are simply running open
pipes with not restriction or mufflers. Now those are irritating, the
Harley is loud enough with mufflers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 21:59:54 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/6/2011 8:34 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/6/11 8:12 PM, Leon wrote:

AND THEN I CALL YOU HENRY. O! M! G!

sorry , sorry, sorry.... I just met a new neighbor whose name is Henry.

Thank you EDWARD

HAHA!! Leon, it appears you have what my mom calls Halfheimer's. :-)

I am also claiming lack of sleep. Saturday night a neighbor's 2 Pit
Bulls went after it barking non stop from 1:00 am Sunday morning until
about 5:00 am Sunday morning until animal control picked one up.
Three times neighbors called police, 5 squad cars showed up on 3
different occasions that I know of and I got to meet 3~4 of my new
neighbors out in the street at about 3:00 am in the morning. This
barking has been an on going problem and it came to a head early Sunday
morning. Had the police not come there probably would have been a
lenching. We all damn near rioted because the owners of the dogs would
not answer the door. One of the dogs escaped his back yard 3 times that
night so he was able to spread his non stop barking through out the
immediate neighborhood. The police were so ****ed that they told us
exactly what we needed to fear to legally shoot the dogs.

Kudos to the police for that. Too bad it isn't legal to neuter the
offending neighbor, too, while you were at it.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 07:09:45 -0500, Leon wrote:

Until you have ridden both bikes in heavy traffic you may not understand
the advantage the rider has riding a louder bike.

That may (or may not) have been true in the past, but with the plethora
of drivers entombed in their autos with the stereo blasting and/or a cell
phone conversation going, your point is certainly not true today.

Fire and police departments around the country have complained about
drivers either not hearing or ignoring their sirens. If they won't get
out of the way of a fire truck do you really think they'll pay attention
to a motorcycle.

BTW, I am a rider and have been for 60 years. My current bike has a
fairly loud muffler on it although certainly not a straight pipe. I had
another bike that was much quieter. I could tell no difference in driver
response.

I have wondered about the availability of a diesel locomotive horn for
the bike :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2011 11:53 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Getting an uneasy feeling about that state of affairs, and after some
heart stopping near misses, I was strangely relieved when my Sportster
was stolen in 82 and decided not to replace it. Haven't ridden since.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/11 12:09 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

There's a reason emergency room personnel refer to motorcycle riders as,
"organ donors."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2011 4:38 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Larry Blanchard" wrote

I have wondered about the availability of a diesel locomotive horn for
the bike :-).

I had a friend who put a Big Mack air horn in a little VW bug beater. He
got it from the junk yard. It was big, ugly and LOUD!! He put in an air
tank to run it. It took up much of the little trunk in the front of the
car. When he blasted that thing off, it got people's attention.

There has been a lot of discussion lately about how electric cars are
too quiet and people don't know they are there. So they want to make
them put some kind of noise maker on them so they can be heard. I though
being quiet was a good thing! I find it interesting because I have
always had a hearing problem and have never heard cars very well anyway.

Friend of mine has one of the Lexus R-somethinorothers. She asked me to
move it for her one day. No problem .... sheeeiiiiit! I tried to start
it for ten minutes before realizing it was already running.

Plus, you ever tried to start one of those keyless things for the first
time ...?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
eb.com...

"Larry Blanchard" wrote

I have wondered about the availability of a diesel locomotive horn for
the bike :-).

I had a friend who put a Big Mack air horn in a little VW bug beater. He
got it from the junk yard. It was big, ugly and LOUD!! He put in an air
tank to run it. It took up much of the little trunk in the front of the
car. When he blasted that thing off, it got people's attention.

There has been a lot of discussion lately about how electric cars are too
quiet and people don't know they are there. So they want to make them put
some kind of noise maker on them so they can be heard. I though being
quiet was a good thing! I find it interesting because I have always had a
hearing problem and have never heard cars very well anyway.

In Glasgow, Scotland they brought in trolley buses to replace an aging tram
system and some diesel buses. People called them "Silent Death" as, compared
to the trams with noisy rail & wheel or the loud diesel engines, the trolley
buses were nearly silent and one or two fools did go under a bus.
Cartoonists for the local newspapers had a great time with the trolleys.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 13:13:58 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

There's a reason emergency room personnel refer to motorcycle riders as,
"organ donors."

Well, I've still got all of mine after 60 years of riding :-).

There was a study quite a while back that had some interesting
conclusions on motorcycle accidents. See:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/hurt.html

For those who don't want to read the whole thing, here's an interesting
excerpt:

"19. Motorcycle riders between the ages of 16 and 24 are significantly
overrepresented in accidents; motorcycle riders between the ages of 30
and 50 are significantly underrepresented. Although the majority of the
accident-involved motorcycle riders are male (96%), the female
motorcycles riders are significantly overrepresented in the accident
data."

No data on 74 year old motorcyclists like me :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/11 6:19 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

I have a saying. "There are no fender benders with motorcycles."
Doesn't really matter if every motorcyclist is the safest driver in the
world. If you're driving a car and someone cuts you off, you pull over
and call your insurance agent. If you're driving a motorcycle and
someone cuts you off, you call life flight.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not a problem, other Larry. http://www.wolo-mfg.com/truck.htm

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

[...]

Harder to "cut off" a bike though. Fit through much smaller spaces, and
are more maneuverable.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"J. Clarke" wrote in
in.local:

In article , says...

[...]

In Paris, on the Boulevard Périferique, 1 foot on either side of the
dashed line between the 2 left-most lanes is reserved for motorcycles.
Truly scary ... at least to 1 passenger ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2011 11:53 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 07:09:45 -0500, Leon wrote:

Until you have ridden both bikes in heavy traffic you may not understand
the advantage the rider has riding a louder bike.

That may (or may not) have been true in the past, but with the plethora
of drivers entombed in their autos with the stereo blasting and/or a cell
phone conversation going, your point is certainly not true today.

Well then the loudness of the Harley that the motorist is complaining
about becomes a moot point.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/11 12:35 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In , says...

[...]

Yeah, I've seen those guys "maneuver" there way into a fishtail, lose
it, and end up with road rash for the next 3 months.

The driver who cut them off, meanwhile, just drives on, totally clueless
as to what they just did.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 01:35:13 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

If you're driving a motorcycle and
someone cuts you off, you call life flight.

Harder to "cut off" a bike though. Fit through much smaller spaces, and
are more maneuverable.

See, we do agree on something :-).

I belong to a vintage motorcycle club. There's some contention whether
the "vintage" applies to the bikes or the riders :-). I know it's a
small data point, but there must be close to a thousand years of riding
amongst the members. I can't say we've never gotten a little road rash
(I know I have) but the only body parts I know of that are missing were
replaced due to old age :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Yeah, I've seen those guys "maneuver" there way into a fishtail, lose
it, and end up with road rash for the next 3 months.

The driver who cut them off, meanwhile, just drives on, totally
clueless as to what they just did.

Yeahbut - how many times - or better asked, what percentage of motorcyclists
do your observations represent?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/11 2:01 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In , says...

[...]

Sorry, I'm not privy to these abbreviations you youngsters are using
these days.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/2011 4:57 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/8/11 2:01 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In , says...

[...]

Like, O! M! G! Mon, IDNKT! ROTFL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/11 2:39 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Yeah, I've seen those guys "maneuver" there way into a fishtail, lose
it, and end up with road rash for the next 3 months.

The driver who cut them off, meanwhile, just drives on, totally
clueless as to what they just did.

Yeahbut - how many times - or better asked, what percentage of motorcyclists
do your observations represent?

None of that matters and is completely moot concerning my original point.
It's an irrelevant tangent.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/11 4:58 PM, Leon wrote:
Sorry, I'm not privy to these abbreviations you youngsters are using
these days.

Like, O! M! G! Mon, IDNKT! ROTFL

However, I'm grown a fondness for STFU and LMFAO! :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

On 6/8/11 2:01 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

[...]

All The Gear All The Time.

Brittany Morrow, who knows a bit about road rash, is the poster girl
http://vimeo.com/22897515.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/11 5:37 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In , says...

On 6/8/11 2:01 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

[...]

Gotcha. Rarely do I see any of the dentists and lawyers on Harleys
around here wearing that stuff. I do a lot a young punks on crotch
rockets wearing that stuff, but they are usually the ones causing
accidents by weaving in, out, and around cars at twice speed limit.
When they fly by me, I just wave and say, "See ya at your funeral."

Oh yeah, while we're on the topic, if you're going to ride a motorcycle
with that tiny little brake might on the back and cut in front of me,
have the brains of a gnat to at least apply a little bit of brake when
you're downshifting so I freakin know when you decide to go from 50 to
30 in 1.5 seconds.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Yeah, I've seen those guys "maneuver" there way into a fishtail,
lose it, and end up with road rash for the next 3 months.

The driver who cut them off, meanwhile, just drives on, totally
clueless as to what they just did.

Yeahbut - how many times - or better asked, what percentage of
motorcyclists do your observations represent?

None of that matters and is completely moot concerning my original
point. It's an irrelevant tangent.

Sorry - I didn't intend to throw an obtuse point out there. I was
responding to exactly what I included in my reply to you. So - it wasn't a
set up sort of question. If I recall - your position is essentially
anti-motorcycle, correct?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

On 6/8/11 5:37 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

On 6/8/11 2:01 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

[...]

Lot of Harley people are about image. I generally see the ones weaving
in and out wearing t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops.

Oh yeah, while we're on the topic, if you're going to ride a motorcycle
with that tiny little brake might on the back and cut in front of me,
have the brains of a gnat to at least apply a little bit of brake when
you're downshifting so I freakin know when you decide to go from 50 to
30 in 1.5 seconds.

My "tiny little brake light" is brighter than the ones on my SUV.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Yeah, I've seen those guys "maneuver" there way into a fishtail,
lose it, and end up with road rash for the next 3 months.

The driver who cut them off, meanwhile, just drives on, totally
clueless as to what they just did.

Yeahbut - how many times - or better asked, what percentage of
motorcyclists do your observations represent?

None of that matters and is completely moot concerning my original
point. It's an irrelevant tangent.

Sorry - I didn't intend to throw an obtuse point out there. I was
responding to exactly what I included in my reply to you. So - it wasn't a
set up sort of question. If I recall - your position is essentially
anti-motorcycle, correct?

To quote...
"I have a saying. "There are no fender benders with motorcycles."
Doesn't really matter if every motorcyclist is the safest driver in the
world. If you're driving a car and someone cuts you off, you pull over
and call your insurance agent. If you're driving a motorcycle and
someone cuts you off, you call life flight."

You can call that anti-motorcycle or you can call it sage advice. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:23:31 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

If you're driving a motorcycle and someone cuts you off, you call life
flight."

You can call that anti-motorcycle or you can call it sage advice. :-)

I call it an over-reaction. I've been in 4 of what most would consider
relatively serious motorcycle accidents. No ambulance.

1. A drunk ran into the back end of my lightweight bike and sent me over
the handlebars into the street. Aside from some road rash and some very
sore testicles from contacting the steering damper, I was fine.

2. A driver ran a stop sign directly into my path. I, and my passenger,
went airborne over the hood of the car. We both walked away.

3. I lost the bike on a section of dirt road that had just been oiled.
The bike and I went sliding down the road. At one point the bike was
behind me. When we stopped it was ahead of me. Must have hopped right
over me. I had a sore and raw elbow from propping myself up on it while
sliding so I could see where the bike was. Got back on the bike and rode
it 100 miles home.

4. I borrowed some kids motorscooter when I ran out of gas. The front
wheel went into a high speed wobble (at about 30mph!) and I went
airborne. Hit the curb and was stunned for a minute.

I will admit I was considerably younger then. I'm a bit more brittle now.

BTW, I once came around a curve on a mountain road to see two semis, side
by side, coming straight at me. With no place else to go, I went between
them. Bent the handlebars! If I'd been in a car I wouldn't be here
today. But to be fair, I've been in a couple of situations in a car that
might well have killed me if I'd been on a bike.

Motorcycles are as dangerous as the rider wants them to be. As far as
the cars on the road, I was taught to "ride paranoid". Assume that if a
car can try to screw you up, assume it will. That advice has served me
well.

P.S. All the incidents described above happened in the days before
riders wore helmets. I usually wore an old greasy HD cap :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/11 12:10 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

I'm reading this post and wondering if you're arguing with me or
agreeing. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

[...]

He's pointing out that a bike crash does not automatically require "life
flight".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/11 5:50 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In , says...

[...]

Yeah, I understand that.
What I don't get is how this group, in particular, never seems to grasp
the concept of hyperbole.

The irony I see is how a guy uses examples of all these accidents he's
been as evidence to show how safe bikes are.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 22:22:24 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

The irony I see is how a guy uses examples of all these accidents he's
been as evidence to show how safe bikes are.

Those accidents were all back in my teenage days. I took a lot of stupid
chances back then. And my point remains, there are a lot of motorcycle
accidents that the rider walks away from.

But you've had your say and I've had mine. Let's leave it at that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/11 4:53 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 22:22:24 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

The irony I see is how a guy uses examples of all these accidents he's
been as evidence to show how safe bikes are.

Those accidents were all back in my teenage days. I took a lot of stupid
chances back then. And my point remains, there are a lot of motorcycle
accidents that the rider walks away from.

But you've had your say and I've had mine. Let's leave it at that.

OK, I'll let you have the last word. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote the following:
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 22:22:24 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

The irony I see is how a guy uses examples of all these accidents he's
been as evidence to show how safe bikes are.

Those accidents were all back in my teenage days. I took a lot of stupid
chances back then. And my point remains, there are a lot of motorcycle
accidents that the rider walks away from.

Or at least, limps away from.
But you've had your say and I've had mine. Let's leave it at that.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683